PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's board float trip idea

Scott V
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
A couple of us have discussed this before and I want to do it this year. The thought is to head up a river using my truck and trailer with people's pram's and pontoons and drop them off by the river, then my wife would drive my truck back home. This way we won't have to leave any vehicles up stream. It would be an over night float, leave early Saturday and pull out on Sunday. Once we get at least another person besides myself going I would look on the river for a place for us to safely camp over night. I think this would be a great float trip with the possibility of catching some nice fish.

So the questions are as follows:

1.) What river should we go to? Sacramento, Feather, Yuba?
2.) What month would be the best? I was thinking May or June.
3.) Has anyone has done anything like this before? If so please chime in with some ideas.

So what do you all think, each person will be responsible for there own gear and food but we will all agree to stay somewhat together. No one gets left behind, plain and simple, if you can not abide by that one rule then do not even ask to join in. This is going to be a fun float and should be a blast. Let me hear some ideas people, either way I am doing this if I have to go alone, but I am sure Ed, Charlie or Shig would join me. And if we could get bill to come along that would be awesome. I have an 8' wide by 18' long flatbed trailer so I can fit a good number of floating devices on it as well as in the back of my truck

Jed Peters
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
my 2 cents--

Do lower sac around that time; it's the only consistent river (but the worst wading?) in terms of flows. Also, yuba is too short to do an overnight unless you are going to do a bridge-sycamore float 2x.

But again, the yuba could be WAY too high then. Safe wading is really best under 1000cfs--which it WILL NOT BE during that time.

Lower Feather there are no fish during that time. Springers are gone and fall runs yet.

North fork feather--someone will die if you try to float it during that month.

Best,

Jed

Scott V
01-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Jed, my original thought was lower Sac for the reasons that you mentioned. I just wasn't sure about the other rivers since I do not visit them that often.

thanks

KJE
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I've got a slightly leaky 8' pram and am up for day trips if our local rivers are floatable. I've quite sure that I could do the American and most of the Yuba, but have never had a shuttle. Don't think my pram is big enough to carry gear for for an overnighter.

PS: I have a smaller truck that can help with shuttling.

Joe Mateas
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd be interested in doing this....I've been trying to talk a few friends into something like that but nobody I know is down for more than a one day drift. I have plenty room on my pontoon for my gear and an extra cooler or two, and an extra 8' pontoon(as long as my one fly fishing partner doesn't want to go) for someone to borrow.

DFrink
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I would love to join in. I don't have a toon, but may be able to get my hands on one. Anyone know if you can rent them from any of the local river rafting shops? As for gear, you probably only need a medium sized dry bag to put everything you need into for a 1 night trip. Pack light, and save some room for an evening beer! I like the idea of the Lower Sac, never fished it. I agree with others, the Yuba wouldn't be long enough for an overnighter.

Dan

amoeba
01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
If it rains - fishing could be good Jan-early Feb:

Navarro would be good for a longer float, Gualala for a shorter one (or two days of the same thing); smaller driftboat or oar-framed raft would be best. Flows right now (10-30 cfs) are about 600 cfs too low.

Darian
01-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Just to avoid any potential conflicts with landowners, it'd probably be a good idea to locate a spot on the bank where it's legal to get and camp. I know that a lot of the shoreline of the Sacramento and Yuba Rivers are privately owned. Just something to think about.... :-|

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I really like this idea and we have talked about it some around the shop.

My thought was to do it on the Lower Feather River from Boyd's Pump down to the mouth in August for SMB.

That is over 20 miles without any trailer boat access too.

I know that Jeff Putnam and friends did that float in 2-3 drift boats in the spring over 5 years ago. Right during the trip they lowered the flows and I think it took them 3 days?

Not sure about the logistics though.....

pgw
01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
A suggestion...Lower Sac...Posse Grounds to Sac RV Park (tent camping by the river) on the 1st day and Sac RV Park to Balls Ferry on Day two?

Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
I think that spring is a good time for fishing the Lower Sac around Redding to Balls Ferry.

May might be a good time.......

Hatch
01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I would gladly join you all with some "Jet Sled" support and do up some nice meals. There are some nice spots on the Feather to camp.
Keep me posted.
HATCH

Scott V
01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
A suggestion...Lower Sac...Posse Grounds to Sac RV Park (tent camping by the river) on the 1st day and Sac RV Park to Balls Ferry on Day two?

Paul

That is the type of information I was hoping for, thanks Paul.

ICE
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
So,
I use to do a 2-3 day float with my dad down the sac in our canoe from the Anderson River Park to a river park in Red Bluff. Great float with lots of fish. Now back then we use to just bounce night crawlers off the bottom with a pencil weight or throw lures. Awesome fishing! We found camping at large bends in the river off of points and never had a problem with land owners. I believe the first camp was around Rattle Snake Island? And the second was around battle creek (now this was just one or two canoes so pretty low profile an armada of sorts might draw some suspicion). The fastest water and some times tricky was in the canyons where there were some solid whirlpools that once flipped a friends Old town tripper XL 20'+ but with enough foresight and river knowledge could be avoided or paddled thru. The only down side was the last 5+ miles of frog water in Red Bluff that had to be paddled thru. When I revisit this trip i would plan on avoiding this area and cutting the trip short. A good river map shows this whole are very well with the rapids all marked as well the good holes. Now I've been thinking of making this trip again and this just re-sparked the thought. Keep up the thoughts I'm in!! 12' Creek Company ODC 1220 & still learning.

ICE

Scott V
01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
As for the dates I am thinking May 19th and 20th. The following weekend is Memorial weekend and I prefer to get out before that, and the previous 2 weekends I am unavailable. So mark your calendars everyone.

DFrink
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
This sounds like it should be a good time.

Scott - I'm fishing Sunday if you want to join me, probably Sly Park.

Dan

Scott V
01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
This sounds like it should be a good time.

Scott - I'm fishing Sunday if you want to join me, probably Sly Park.

Dan

I am going to fish the surf for perch on Sunday and then throw out my little crab trap for dungeness, they were everywhere last weekend and I am in the mood for crab. I had 4 grab my fly as it went through the water. You can join me if you want, you need about a 7 weight with a type 11 thru 14 shooting head. Surf fishing is a blast.

DFrink
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh, that does sound like fun. I'm going to stick with the local waters for now, thanks for the invite. Let me know what time the crab feed is on Sunday. :wink:

Dan

Jimmie
01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Scott,

Where are you going to fish the surf? I have never had much luck in the dead of winter for surf perch.

Take Care,

Jimmie

Scott V
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Jimmie,
I got a couple perch at Stinson last Sunday. I was thinking of going to Kehoe since there is usually more structure their and I have had better luck there.

Joe Mateas
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Calendar marked, already told my better half so I'm good to go.

Blueracer
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Yo Scott! Am interested. Anyway it could be a trip that targets steelhead too?

Jeff Putnam
01-13-2012, 04:17 AM
If you're looking for stripers, shad possible smallies and solitude the feather is awesome, nice sand bars to camp on...swim during the day and sight cast to huge carp digging in the sand leaving a mud trail which makes them stand out in the clear water during the day.
I bet a similar float that might be fun would be from just below the Red Bluff diversion dam down (mills creek park to woodson bridge or even better, take out at near hwy 32) might want a motor for the longer float or more time. Depending on the time of year you'll have the opportunity at a sac slam...trout, shad, stripers and yes, unfortunately....a squawfish aha sac golden trout" (to help feed the scavengers along the river... birds, coyotes... all for the good of nature, of course). Yes, you should release them as they are considered a "gamefish" (uhhh....yeah, sure). When they are released.... its just not back directly into the water... ( if you must "release" them back in the water, a firm "tight" handshake works great). Columbia River squaws are worth $4 each.....hmmm. Don't eat the poor few wild steelhead that are still left!!!
wikipedia quote "Voracious predators, they are considered an "undesirable" species in many waters. This is largely due to the species' perceived tendency to prey upon small trout and salmon".

Blueracer
01-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Feather would be cool. Let's do 2 places Scott.

JP - preach it man.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Lower Sacramento River in the spring and the Lower Feather River in the late summer.