PDA

View Full Version : "FISH FROM HELL" Pt.II

Tony Buzolich
01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Any of you old guys (Bill:)) out there are surely going to love this. I just watched a new show on Versus (NBC Sports) called Fish the Baja. Haven't seen any fly fishing yet but this centers all around Baja and fishing mainly off the beaches. If you go to the show's website scroll down, turn up the volumne, and click on "Fish From Hell".

This video was first filmed in 1945 and the narration is to die for. Remember this IS 1945 and you've GOT to laugh at some of the practices and references back then. " Dolphins are only good for their leather and oil", spearing manta rays, shooting sharks and saying that "the China boys like the fins for soup". :)

I remember going to the shows on Del Paso Blvd. for a quarter and seeing news clips like this in B+W with the same kind of emotional narration. If we were lucky we'd even get a cartoon too.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did, TONY

David Lee
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I tracked it down on Youtube (both parts are there) , pretty disturbing .

I have to wonder - in 60+ years .... are people going to look back on what we are doing now and feel the same way as I do when watching this ?

D.~

Darian
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Gad!!! I do recall people narrating news clips and movies that way. Brings back memories of Flash Gordon, etc., at the saturday afternoon movies.... :D

Tony Buzolich
01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Darian,

I knew somebody out there besides me had to be old enough to remember these old clips and the type of dialogue.

Some of the things that were said back then are soo different from now you just have to laugh. ???? Maybe it's just my sick humor?
TONY

Darian
01-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah,.... It's funny to me too. :nod: It's absolutely amazing how much language is affected by things like political correctness over a long period. Altho, I'm not sure that concept has sunk in on everyone, yet.... :lol:

I recall some news videos from the 40's on blue water commercial Tuna fishing in black/white where the Tuna were caught on a 6' -7' heavy line (think 100 pound dacron), a feather jig on what looked to be an 8' calcutta bamboo pole cast overboard by several anglers and dangled until a fish hit. The fish was then yanked over the gunwale onto the deck and the barbless hook would fall out. Then it was lob/cast the jig and repeat until the caster was exhausted or there were no more fish. If the fish were over a certain size, two poles were attached to one jig. It was pure chaos/mayhem but probably a lot less damaging to the fishery than newer netting methods. 8-)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2012, 11:59 PM
"Fish From Hell".......1945 (year I was born)

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFHEIWYN2w&feature=related

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzL2UEEAEAI

Darian
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
After posting about the commercial fishing methods "back then", I remembered I had a commercial Tuna Hook from the 40's - 50's (may still be in use somewhere). The hook in the photo is around size 5/0. The wire is round and approximately 3/16" thick and the finish is tinned.... The eye was punched thru the flattened end on the shank. Believe me, you wouldn't want to try to cast this on a fly rod.... 8-)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-3.jpg