PDA

View Full Version : Any opening day reports from the A?

Jed Peters
01-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Come on now...I saw about a hundred people out there today...there has to be some rolling in.

Justin, if you're reading this, nice to see meet you. And not to piss you off too bad, but from that spot--it took 10 casts, not the 5..... :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I went to a secret stretch of the Lower American River with my new carbon fiber 17' #3 line Spey rod.

After making a 133 foot cast, I did some kind of fancy line manipulation and there it was.....a 21# chrome bright Sea-run Rainbow trout.

After dozens of jumps, grey hounding like a marlin, I was able to subdue this monster.

As I was just getting ready for a photo my alarm went off and ruined it all.......

DAVID95670
01-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Skunk......saw a single fish caught....it was a nice fish guy next to me hooked and landed it. Must have been 5#.

Was out all day..saw at least 20 guys swinging .... saw nothing else caught....

SHigSpeed
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Hardware fishing buddy and his 10 year old son each got one over 22" - one wild, one brat.

_SHig

rymerpt
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
My son and I took a walk south of Sailor bar today. I still need to buy my lisence so this was just to scout the area today. Lots of folks in the water. We saw many salmon flopping around and a few Steelhead jumping completely out of the water. I'm excited for the chance to finally fish the swing this year. We did not stay long so did not see any caught.

rymerpt

DAVID95670
01-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Well after 9 weeks and way more than 120 hrs on this River I latch into two adults one broke off after stripping out all my line and half my backing the other is pictured here a beautiful wild fish the hopefully will breed for a couple more years appears to be 27" or more. A brute that took 30 mins to land

loganmike
01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Hahahahaha! That there is a boot!

Pimpinmeat
01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Hahahahaha! That there is a boot!

I've caught lots of boots fishing for steelhead.

Mark Kranhold
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Spawning ta....boot!

Mark Kranhold
01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Is that size 15.. I need some new Boots!!

STEELIES/26c3
01-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Someone should give 'da boot' to anyone lining fish on redds.

Damn, did I say that?

I did
M

TaylerW
01-02-2012, 09:37 PM
i sure hope that wasnt a wild fish, being that you rocked it. 90% sure this one probably aint gonna survive

Fish Guru
01-02-2012, 10:06 PM
not looking good for that fish, after a 30 minute fight probably not the best idea to drag the thing onto to the rocks for a pic; just my 2cents.

DAVID95670
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey m
The fish was caught in swift moving water greater then 6 feet deep. Wild animals know enough not to breed on a highway.....but then again there were guides working the stretch so breeding fish must have been around right?....kinda impossible for redds to be anywhere around for more than 100 yards but who knows breeding in this water would be like breeding on the floor of a whore house which may in fact save these fish from extinction...probably not

Damn did I say that .....

The fish spent less then 30 sec out of water less then it took to take that profile pic by the water edge my 2 cents.... It revived well....oh the fish and game guys that watched the entire thing we're impressed with both my revival technique and my current fishing license and barbless hooks ..... Damn stupid is as stupid does....any other retarded comments?

Morgan
01-03-2012, 08:39 AM
A buddy and I floated from sailors to russmore. Im still a newb and didnt hook a single fish. My buddy farmed 2. Didnt see a ton being caught. Seemed pretty slow. I'll be back :)

SloFly
01-03-2012, 02:30 PM
It revived well....oh the fish and game guys that watched the entire thing we're impressed with both my revival technique and my current fishing license and barbless hooks ..... Damn stupid is as stupid does....any other retarded comments?

Soooo - when you are giving it mouth to mouth do you slip it the tongue?

Jed Peters
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I gotta say that most of the fish I saw up at sailor were ugly SOB's.....they were super torn up from staging up there. I think most of them followed the salmon up, and are hanging out because there are STILL a couple working salmon redds in the river. Whore Island 1 saw pairs of steelies looking to get down, and I saw more redd rapists in the creek at Whore Island 2 down by sunrise.

Sure to form, most fish hooked lower in the river (sunrise down) were hotter. In fact, not a single fish landed from sunrise down, because these SOB's were PISSED off.

Seems like fish are 4-7 inches bigger this year in general, at least by my count of seeing 20+ fish landed over 2 days.

While I don't believe that the gumboot fish in the photos was spawning (probably caught in the sailor run per the poster's comments?); it does look like an old SOB that's getting ready to hump soon.

And, 30 minutes? Dude, me thinks you need a 7 weight.

huntindog
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
this is more like it...i thought the steelhead board had gone to sleep...all the excitement was on the trout board (truckee) and on the striper board....get the popcorn..we got a hard core fish killer here...let him have it i know it is in you....

Frank Alessio
01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry I only had 20 upper div. Biology units I am no match for you...Jaybird get out the Crackerjacks....

Jay S.
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Lmao.......lllllllletttts get ready to ruuuuumblllllllle.....

Ahhh....steelhead season on the American....glad I go where there is more steel than people.

mr. 3 wt.
01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
This has got to be a troll! Nobody in there right mind would brag about that fish!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I think they could close the section of Lower American River above the Sunrise Bridge permanently to all fishing.

Mike R
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Mr. 3wt, You'd think so but I'm sure you've seen the pictures of smolts here.

See ya,
Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Not everyone that fishes the river is an expert in fisheries or fishing.

There is not test to get a fishing license.

90% of the people who attempt to fish the river haven't got a clue about any of it.

So attacking them is kind of useless..........

tacocat
01-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought it as a coelacanth at first.

SloFly
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
This has got to be a troll! Nobody in there right mind would brag about that fish!

Was that really a fish??? I thought it was one of his socks. Probably smelled the same!

Frank Alessio
01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I have noticed on this Board that people using their Real Names tend to be more supportive of their fellow Fisherman...If someone posts a picture they must be proud of their day on the water...I say Good Job buddy... Glad you had a good time..... Frank B. Alessio

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Frank............that is because you were "raised right".

590Mike
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
David
Nice going on your first steelhead and congratulations. Three weeks and over 120 hrs ! Way to stick it out!
There are a few "rules" ( that mean absolutely nothing)
1 if it's a steelhead said fish must be "dime bright" and sea lice is even better or the fish is worthless.

2. They way you catch or hook is critical as the "take" must be epic or of greater spirtiual meaning. Or the fish is worthless and you are a bastard.

3. You didn't mention the type of rod and casting style, ex. double haul hook mend , double d twist reverse drift, etc. Therefore the fish is worthless, you are a bastard and you hate the environment.

4. You failed to pay homage to the fish properly. A suggestion might be a few words such as " this beautiful and magnificent species of a creature blessing me with it presence" Therefore the fish is worthless,you are a bastard, you hate the environment, and most likely you are a Republican.

5. Since you didn't mention the fly or leader it is assumed you were using red worms and the monofilament used to make necklaces. So clearly the fish is worthless,you are a bastard,you have the environment,a Republican,and you are a litterbug!

Again congrats on the sucess PM sent and we have to get out on the water

Pimpinmeat
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Now that was funny

tacocat
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I have noticed on this Board that people using their Real Names tend to be more supportive of their fellow Fisherman...If someone posts a picture they must be proud of their day on the water...I say Good Job buddy... Glad you had a good time..... Frank B. Alessio

I think people were razzing him because of comments like these. I'm not sure, just guessing. That topic stirred up quite a bit of debate, and ranking on Truckee guides in general isn't cool.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109636&postcount=6
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109605&postcount=16

OK, so I didn't really think it was a coelacanth. I did think it was a really LATE salmon that was still chugging along.

kelly
01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Awesome 590Mike!!! It's amazing how many self-righteous people are willing to slam a guy for having a great day; I have to believe it's only a small few that jump on the boards with their big egos and that most of us are fairly easy going.

Jed Peters
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The fact that I posted this thread and the only guy that posted a report and a pic got hammered makes me smile and warm inside.

loganmike
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Still a boot;)

I offer a group hug;p

C'mon, it is a colored to hell fish that was caught on a fly reel. Congrats to him, but hell, i wouldn't want to touch that colored up salmon, i mean steelhead!

Jesus people, I think there is a positive self affirmation board somewhere on the internet to get ones ego stoked and what not.

Yes, congrats on the fish, those bastards take a lot of time.

It sure probably was fun.

But it sure a hell is a boot, too.

just sayin.

me

tacocat
01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Awesome 590Mike!!! It's amazing how many self-righteous people are willing to slam a guy for having a great day; I have to believe it's only a small few that jump on the boards with their big egos and that most of us are fairly easy going.

I think a little jabbing should be expected in the steelhead forum. You have to be a complete moron to WANT to stand in the middle of a river during the dead of winter employing one of the most difficult fishing methods known to man in an effort to catch a fish that's more myth than reality.

If my fishing buddies and I didn't tease each other, losing large fish would flat out suck rather than be humorous.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I like it TacoCat........

SloFly
01-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I think a little jabbing should be expected in the steelhead forum. If my fishing buddies and I didn't tease each other, losing large fish would flat out suck rather than be humorous.

You are so right about that. The problem is that in this day and age the dress wearing girlie men get sooooo butt hurt that you have to preface your posts with
http://www.jordanpfowler.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Prep-H.jpg

Lighten up Francis! :lol:

EricO
01-05-2012, 12:29 AM
I think we also call this the "chickification of the male species".

EO

Jay S.
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
David
Nice going on your first steelhead and congratulations. Three weeks and over 120 hrs ! Way to stick it out!
There are a few "rules" ( that mean absolutely nothing)
1 if it's a steelhead said fish must be "dime bright" and sea lice is even better or the fish is worthless.

2. They way you catch or hook is critical as the "take" must be epic or of greater spirtiual meaning. Or the fish is worthless and you are a bastard.

3. You didn't mention the type of rod and casting style, ex. double haul hook mend , double d twist reverse drift, etc. Therefore the fish is worthless, you are a bastard and you hate the environment.

4. You failed to pay homage to the fish properly. A suggestion might be a few words such as " this beautiful and magnificent species of a creature blessing me with it presence" Therefore the fish is worthless,you are a bastard, you hate the environment, and most likely you are a Republican.

5. Since you didn't mention the fly or leader it is assumed you were using red worms and the monofilament used to make necklaces. So clearly the fish is worthless,you are a bastard,you have the environment,a Republican,and you are a litterbug!

Again congrats on the sucess PM sent and we have to get out on the water

You are THE MAN. Loved it.

Dustin Revel
01-06-2012, 12:04 AM
got a steel head on the swing today

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Sushi river side? Howed it taste?

Terry Thomas
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Dustin,
You have one hell of a hook set!
T.

PMD
01-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Sea run cutthroat?

Jgoding
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey that fish has no adipose fin, bonk it quick!

Yard Sale
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
So what should people do when they see some obviously bad fishing ethics? Ignore that and congratulate they guy anyway?

No way that fish needed 30 minutes to come to the shore. Dime bright fish on the coast don't take that long. You either need to up size your gear(rod/tippet) or learn how to properly play a fish.

But then to drag it onto some nice dry rocks so you can get your hero shot? Inexcusable. You are putting your ego ahead of what is best for the fish.

That said its cool your putting in your time and getting rewarded. Next time do the fish right. Play it quickly and keep it off the rocks. Then I think EVERYBODY would be happy for your achievement.

Here is a great article about how to do it properly:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?83043-The-best-way-to-take-fish-pictures.&highlight=remove

Not looking to flame anybody, but man I hate to see tired old fish on dry rocks...

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Sea run cutthroat?
That was pretty damn good......

This caught this morning, close to first light, fog misting over the run...stepping down 2 steps at a time, making sure to delicately swim the purple wet fly oh so gingerly to present properly in the run.....fish took it mid swing, did a nice charge downstream, then jumped a couple times, ran at me...

River left, Snap T cast, Skagit flight head, with 10' of T-8 full sink, and 4' of tatsu 12# flouro....

This magnificent creature was oh to be so cherished. I gingerly stroked her back and forth into the current, where she swam off, only to be caught another day by someone else.....and then lay her eggs, return to the great blue, and do it all over again in a couple more years.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/jedpeters/IMG_0402.jpg

aahhahahahahah.....

Jay S.
01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
=D> ........ :thumbsup:

Yard Sale
01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Nothing better than a bright fish on the swing!

mr. 3 wt.
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Nothing easier than to rip fish off there spawning redds! Not to mention sight snagging!

mr. 3 wt.
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
The river from Sunrise Bridge up to the Hazel Ave bridge should be closed to fishing. I know and so does everybody else who has a clue, that its mostly spawning area. Go ahead and start crying you whiners but I call them as I see them!

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 02:12 PM
The river from Sunrise Bridge up to the Hazel Ave bridge should be closed to fishing. I know and so does everybody else who has a clue, that its mostly spawning area. Go ahead and start crying you whiners but I call them as I see them!

Who are you even talking to you toolbox?

Get off it. I've never flossed redds, and neither has a guide buddy that I think is the best on the river, Keith Kaneko. Sailor bar run is not all redds. Above and below the riffle...around whore island 1 and 2....but you can find fresh AND stale fish in the deep moving holding water.

It's all good man. Chill the f out.

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 02:43 PM
The steelie forum is heating up again! That one on the swing will be etched in the brain for quite awhile. What purple fly?

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
What purple fly?

One that was bought at KIENE'S FLY SHOP.

:)

Jay S.
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I like lima beans.

SloFly
01-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Her you go Mr. 3 inch...oops, I mean wt.

http://www.empireave.com/wp-content/uploads/crying-girl.jpg

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
LMFAO Sofly, secret purple? Small and sparse ?...Big Bunny?.. Traditional?

Jay S.
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
lol................

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
LMFAO Sofly, secret purple? Small and sparse ?...Big Bunny?.. Traditional?

Small and sparse...Traditional....if you zoom in you can see it.....

Dustin Revel
01-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Small and sparse...Traditional....if you zoom in you can see it.....

i heard swing fishermen are small and sparse, and thats why they use those long rods; compensation. jk the opportunity presented itself and i couldn't resist

tacocat
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
That was pretty damn good......

This caught this morning, close to first light, fog misting over the run...stepping down 2 steps at a time, making sure to delicately swim the purple wet fly oh so gingerly to present properly in the run.....fish took it mid swing, did a nice charge downstream, then jumped a couple times, ran at me...

River left, Snap T cast, Skagit flight head, with 10' of T-8 full sink, and 4' of tatsu 12# flouro....

This magnificent creature was oh to be so cherished. I gingerly stroked her back and forth into the current, where she swam off, only to be caught another day by someone else.....and then lay her eggs, return to the great blue, and do it all over again in a couple more years.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/jedpeters/IMG_0402.jpg

aahhahahahahah.....

EPIC FAIL!

The reel was manufactured after the War, AND has an advanced drag system.

huntindog
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
yes yes yes...all is right in the world again...we even have a "what is true fly fishing" thread going in the steelhead room....hell yah...gotta get out my sling blades and my hoochie mamas and rig up the downrigger...it is trolling time

mr. 3 wt.
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Who are you even talking to you toolbox?

Get off it. I've never flossed redds, and neither has a guide buddy that I think is the best on the river, Keith Kaneko. Sailor bar run is not all redds. Above and below the riffle...around whore island 1 and 2....but you can find fresh AND stale fish in the deep moving holding water.

It's all good man. Chill the f out.

Guilty conscience? You can see the redds in your pic. It is all good and I am chilled........to the bone!

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
EPIC FAIL!

The reel was manufactured after the War, AND has an advanced drag system.

Seriously.

Stiney already told me it doesn't count.....

Jed Peters
01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Guilty conscience? You can see the redds in your pic. It is all good and I am chilled........to the bone!

Blow me, troll.

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a couple sets of 5 oz gloves if you guys want to borrow them? Maybe you could meet at Giligans island, that's where alot of fights go down on the A..... LOL!!

tacocat
01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Blow me, troll.

I think he's screwing with you.

However, I'd personally never put that invitation on the table for anyone I don't know. What if he/she took you up on your offer..... AWKWARD.:confused:

STEELIES/26c3
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
on a more positive note...

http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteel101124.jpg
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteel106121.jpg
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteel106123.jpg
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteel106126.jpg
http://treeofknowledge.org/markebay/arsteel106127.jpg

EricO
01-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Nice fish Steelies!! True chromer.

I'm heading out this w/e.

EO

flyguy1
01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Dang Steelies 26c3, the spoons must of have come through again. Nice fish. When fishing opening day, I saw 2 gear guys land one nice steely, and lose two others on spoons.

mr. 3 wt.
01-07-2012, 12:06 PM
26c3, nice fish and pics. Wet rocks, water under fish, nice gear, not afraid to post gear caught fish on fly board. Fish is near perfect not a boot! With the exception of the missing adipose a really nice fish. Good going. See I can be nice too! Little Cleo?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-07-2012, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=STEELIES/26c3;110115]on a more positive note...

Thanks Steelies/26c3

I think it is good for people to see that there are really nice Steelhead in the Lower American River, even if they are not catching anything.

If I was to go down there a fish hard for a day right now and did not catch anything, my ego is not so big that I would assume there are no fish in the river.

I would die to just hook one of those fish....so cool.

I might have to go back to "nightcrawlers".......?

Blueracer
01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
No, don't do it Bill.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
When I was a teenager (50 years ago) my folks would drive me to Watt Avenue on the Lower American River in the fall and I use to catch lots of Steelhead on those big old "Night Crawler" worms.

We use to go down to around 27th and C Street in Sacramento in the evenings and crawl on our knees with a little flash light on our mouth and a bag in one hand. As we saw the gleem from the night crawlers we would grab them quickly and then slowly pull them out of the ground.

mr. 3 wt.
01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Nothing wrong with that Bill. We all started there.

STEELIES/26c3
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
That's 3 different fish... One on a spoon, one on roe, one on egg imitation.

Today I got my arse handed to me 4 times for a big (0)

:) FISH ON!

Mark Kranhold
01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
We all started somewhere, but i avoid bait now a days for the deep throat bleeder. I stopped that years ago! Artificial is ok in my book, but bait is calling for a floater! Nothing like a tug.. Rip.. or grab on a swung fly. Congrats on the chrome 26c3

Bug
01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree, nice pics. Jed's Peter could learn a thing or two from you. Much better then laying fish in the mud. If he took note maybe he wouldn't have to delete incriminating pics.

Ed Wahl
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice Bill. I'm what I like to modestly call a 'master' nightcrawler hunter. I started when I was young under the tutelage of my dad in Illinois. Nightcrawlers were my main bait growing up in the midwest, mostly because they were free.
Most recently I caught them for my turtles, and in the process taught my grandson how it's done.
Hunting for your bait before going fishing sure seemed like a natural progression for a young fisherman. I'd bet it's still being taught by dads to little fishermen even now.
Ed

Mark Kranhold
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Love it .. I wish I were young and innocent again... That way you don't get frowned about, but the older I get the more sour I get ! Does this really happen?

OceanSunfish
01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Hunting for your bait before going fishing sure seemed like a natural progression for a young fisherman. I'd bet it's still being taught by dads to little fishermen even now.
Ed

I sure hope so.....

donkeyhunter007
01-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Not everyone that fishes the river is an expert in fisheries or fishing.

There is not test to get a fishing license.

90% of the people who attempt to fish the river haven't got a clue about any of it.

So attacking them is kind of useless..........

well put.....I dont think bashing people makes them want to learn more about fisheries in fact it probably does the opposite......as my mother always said if you dont have anything nice to say..........maybe a pm offering some words of wisdom or offering to teach other fisherman how they can use the resource with the least amount of detrimental effects would serve everyone a lot better than public ridicule and bashing. Just a thought. Thanks for your time.

mr. 3 wt.
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
That's 3 different fish... One on a spoon, one on roe, one on egg imitation.

Today I got my arse handed to me 4 times for a big (0)

:) FISH ON!

Upon closer look, I see that they are different fish. Awesome. Spoon fishing is a kick. The grab is lot like a swung fly.