PDA

View Full Version : Old friend Marty Seldon passes

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
My father, Marty Seldon passed away on 12/28/11 after respiratory failure and a heart attack.

The memorial service for Marty Seldon will be on Monday January 2nd at 11:00 AM at Temple Emmanuel 1010 University Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126. We will have a potluck lunch afterwards at the temple. Please bring a dish that does not contain shellfish or pork.

Please RSVP by sending an email to jeff.seldon@comcast.net

Please pass this on to others he knew.

http://g.co/maps/wrby9

Jeff Seldon

408-736-5631

Troutstalker55B
01-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm glad I got to see Marty last March when I did a presentation for the San Jose Flycasters. He was another great one who spoke for the fish. God speed Marty, and thanks for all the work you did!

Jon.

FRSam
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I never did meet Marty but I did talk with him on the phone over some trout issues and he seemed to be a great guy. *

As Jonny said he spoke for the trout...I'm sure he's fishing the big waters now where they've got it right!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Marty had a long full life and had more good days and more good friends than most.

He was very involved in the sport of fly fishing and the fisheries as well.

Dan Blanton is working on a memorial article about Marty that he will put up on his web site under"Deaprted Friends":

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/category/departed-friends/

OceanSunfish
01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
My only real interaction with Mr. Seldon was during Flycasters of San Jose meetings or at the ISE Show in San Mateo during the 90's and early 2000's. Nevertheless, he always made an effort to shake my hand and offer a warm greeting while looking squarely at me with a smile.

Mr. Seldon didn't judge me based on if I could toss a perfect loop or mend a long leader down to 7x. He knew (by my attendance) I was passionate about fishing or fly fishing and being rather young at that time (relatively speaking) I would hopefully someday represent the future of flyfishing; at least that's how he made me feel.

In this day when sportfishing in CA is being marginalized to the brink of insignificance (as are the fish), we all need to adopt Mr. Seldon's fishing ambassadeurship and resist the temptation of being so critical of one another's fishing prowess.

Larry S
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Guys:
He would enjoy reading your posts. He had a number of passions and two of them
were fish and fishing. We should all keep that in mind. One of the passions
that we commonly see on boards is "quick and harsh judgements." Something that
wasn't in Marty's creel.
Best to the Kiene krowd,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
MidCurrent Blog on Marty:

http://midcurrent.com/2011/12/31/marty-seldon-dies/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
International Fly Fishing Association bio on Marty:

http://www.iffa.org.uk/profiles-Seldon.htm

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Many of you have asked which charities Marty would have preferred optional donations to be sent to. I am sorry it took so long to get this out.

Please pass this on to others who may know Marty,

Anyone wishing to make a donation in Marty's name can do so at one of the three non-profits below:

Choice 1:

Temple Emanu-El

c/o Marty Seldon Honorary Donation

1010 University Ave.

San Jose, CA 95126

Att: Irv Duchowny

Make the check out to the Temple Emanu-El Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund or the Temple Emanu-El General Operating Fund and make a note that it is in honor of Marty Seldon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choice 2:

Flycasters, Inc. of San Jose
c/o Marty Seldon Honorary Donation

PO Box 821

Campbell, CA 95009

Make the check out to the Flycasters, Inc. of San Jose and make a note that it is in honor of Marty Seldon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choice 3:

NCCFFF (Northern California Council on

P.O. Box 7480,

Fremont, CA 94537

Make the check out to NCCFFF and make a note that it is in honor of Marty Seldon

Thanks to all of you who sent wonderful cards and attended the memorial.

Sincerely,

Jeff , Rita, and Janet Seldon

408-736-5631 (parents house)

541-913-8118 (cell)

jeff.seldon@comcast.net