PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder options?

DFrink
12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a fish finder for the float tube. Trying to decide if I should get a fishing buddy or a smart cast? I want something that is battery operated, quick setup, accurate, and helps me catch 10 times more fish:wink:. Anyone used both and care to comment on which is there preffered model and why?

Dan

P.S. lot's of responses please, if I have to read one more comment on the "large brown trout" thread I may give up on fly fishing all together. :mad:

Scott V
12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I had a fishing buddy but it finally died, it was ok but the newer versions are suppose to be better. I plan on getting one of those smart casts made by hummingbird, I have heard they actually work pretty descent. Shig uses a full on fishfinder but I prefer not to lose room in my float tube for the battery even though it is some what small.

jayclarkflyfishing
12-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I use a fishing buddy and it is all I need. It works great for depth, structure and temperature. It doesn't catch more fish for me though...maybe it doesn't work that great?

Jay

DFrink
12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I was leaning towards the smart cast, only because I think I could just clip it on a small string to my tube and let it float next to me. The buddy requires a holster being mounted (not hard, but it allready takes me like 40 minutes to get my tube all set up with rods,etc.). I am a little worried that the smart cast would be so close to the tube that it may pick up my fins in the water? Probably over thinking it. I have seen SHig's setup, very cool but more than I want in my tube.

gene goss
12-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Dan...the only time that you need a fish locator is to know the depth for indicator fishing. The cone angle is to narrow for looking for fish, in 10ft. of water you might see 3ft. of bottom. Your eye's and ear's and a check out cast, will put you into more fish, if you don't get a grab then move untill you find them.

A side looker fish locator would let you look into the weed bed pockets.

Scott V
12-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Dan,
I just ordered one of those Humminbird RF units for $79. It is on backorder but it is also on sale at Cabelas. I should get mine in a week or two. I've been wanting to get one for a while. I will attach the floating transducer to my float tube with a string and attach the watch to my rod rack.

SHigSpeed
12-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Dan,
I just ordered one of those Humminbird RF units for $79. It is on backorder but it is also on sale at Cabelas. I should get mine in a week or two. I've been wanting to get one for a while. I will attach the floating transducer to my float tube with a string and attach the watch to my rod rack.

Can't wait to play around with it! Too bad the battery in the float isn't replaceable but it claims a ton of hours before you need to get another one. I'll bet that I could replace the battery if I put my mind to it though. With the whole package at around a half-pound, I'd consider backpacking the setup too.

Yes, my full on setup is a bit heavy, especially the battery. I'm considering making a 10 pack NiMH AA rechargeable pack to replace the small lead acid unit I currently use.

_SHig

DFrink
12-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Dan,

That's kind of the setup I was thinking about doing as well. I want it mostly to check depth in different areas. For that price I might as well just give it a shot!

RenoLipRipper
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Have the Buddy 140C. Works great. Just use regular batteries as I tried to use rechargeables and didn't work at all for any length of time. I like it for structure and temp.. Not sure of the fish finding.

Terry Imai
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
When I took the Phil Rowley’s seminar a few years ago, he believed in using the "fish finder" to inform him on how the trout "traffic" themselves in the water. Because of the trout's internal structure, I've been told by several company representatives (besides Phil) that these "fish finders" do not find trout, but you'll see pan fish or other types of fish.

Phil used the analogy of a mouse never scurries across the floor but follows the baseboard to go from point A to point B then to point C. Trout are very similar that they will drop into these bottom structure variations whileo searching for their food. That often the reason why they former stream bed is the best places to fish a lake. Using their indicators tells you where these slight breaks can be only 1-2' break but the trout will migrate through these avenues.

briansII
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a fish finder for the float tube. Trying to decide if I should get a fishing buddy or a smart cast? I want something that is battery operated, quick setup, accurate, and helps me catch 10 times more fish:wink:. Anyone used both and care to comment on which is there preffered model and why?

Dan

P.S. lot's of responses please, if I have to read one more comment on the "large brown trout" thread I may give up on fly fishing all together. :mad:

You wouldn't be using the unit to target spawning brown trout, would you? ;-)

I've used the old(Bottomline), and new Fishin' Buddy units. IMHO, the new Hummingbirds are nicer units. Everything is self contained in the unit, and it mounts with a strap-on holster. I've used the Fishin' Buddy on my boat too.

I've look at the Smart Cast/RF units, but decided not to try them. A few too many negative reviews, and it just doesn't look like it would have enough detail for what I'm using a sonar unit for. Although, for the price, it would be worth a try.........as long as you could return it if it didn't work out. BTW, I've heard good things about Hummingbird's customer service. I've experienced just the opposite with one of their competitors. :-(

briansII

bartly
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
When I took the Phil Rowley’s seminar a few years ago, he believed in using the "fish finder" to inform him on how the trout "traffic" themselves in the water. Because of the trout's internal structure, I've been told by several company representatives (besides Phil) that these "fish finders" do not find trout, but you'll see pan fish or other types of fish.

Phil used the analogy of a mouse never scurries across the floor but follows the baseboard to go from point A to point B then to point C. Trout are very similar that they will drop into these bottom structure variations whileo searching for their food. That often the reason why they former stream bed is the best places to fish a lake. Using their indicators tells you where these slight breaks can be only 1-2' break but the trout will migrate through these avenues.

I see fish all the time on the sidefinder signal on my fishing buddy. This includes Davis lake and the only other fish that I know of there are catfish, if any fish hugs the bottom it would be a catfish. That leads me to believe the sidefinder transducer will see a trout. Course the trout would be more broadside to a sideviewer than the beam looking down.

Terry Imai
01-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm certainly not the one to answer this question but perhaps if you went to the black bass sites where they discuss their fish finders to the similar level that we trout fisherman discuss the finer points of wire dimensions for Copper Johns. A few fish finder sales representative have told me that something about an air bladder that exists for a bass that trout don't have which makes the difference of a fish getting picked up on the finder. Check those message board to get a more definitive answer.

JAWallace
01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I have the wrist worn Smart Cast RF35 and love it. For whatever reason, that little finder picks up more fish than my larger, console finders in shallow water. It's been bulletproof for me and for $70-$80 it's a perfect solution to a float tube or 'toon sonar. Also has WT.