PDA

View Full Version : trout parasites in Berryessa and other lakes

Forellenjaeger
12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I can remember the happy days when Berryessa yielded up numerous flawless Eagle Lake-strain trout. But for a long time there has been a parasite in this lake, and evidently others too [including Shasta?]. I noticed they were attached to a trout pictured in a recent posting about Berryessa. My question is this: are there healthy trout there too?

Scott V
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I believe they are only copods or however you spell it. And from what I have heard they are perfectly fine to eat. I myself would not eat them but then again I do not eat trout. I have been catching those fish at Berryessa and that is what they look like to me, the same thing I see at Davis on some of their trout.

Nick B
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
The Berryessa parasites are a species of copepod commonly known as "Anchor worms." They came into the state with common carp over a 100 years ago. They don't really mess us the meat too badly, as you can just cut them out.. However, be careful eating the Berry trout, that lake has some mercury contamination issues.

Scott V
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
that lake has some mercury contamination issues.

Funny you mention that, I forgot what state agency office I was in but I saw a letter on someones desk mentioning the issue with the mercury levels in Putah Creek. I was unable to read much but it seems as though the State knows of some issues.

Reno Flytyer
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Copepods are disgusting to look at and a shame they have to infest one of Gods most beautiful creatures, the Rainbow Trout. I haven't fished Lake Davis in the past few years since the infestation became so revolting and prevelant. Catching fish, bringing them to hand, and then seeing how blistered they looked was just too much to bear. Yes, one can still eat the fish, but I won't. I don't remember ever seeing Lake Davis suffer from these parasites until and after the second poisoning of Lake Davis...to the dimbulb who first planted the Pike in Lake Davis and created the terrible consequences ever since, I hope you suffer ass cancer and die in a fire. Oh yeah, tight lines.
RFT

Darian
01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey RFT,.... Why doncha tell us how you really feel.... :lol: :lol:

FRSam
01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
On a positive note the Lake Davis trout have been coming up clean for the most part. As I've stated many times I still think it was the fault F&G as the trout were planted with the copods already on board.

I couldn't agree with you more Mike - it's a shame such a beautiful fish should be infested with these things...

Pete

bartly
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
On a positive note the Lake Davis trout have been coming up clean for the most part.

Not for me, I think only about 1-2 fish were clean out of the 20+? or so I caught there over the summer. Wish I could recall if it was as bad the year before, but I can't imagine it was because couldn't stand touching them this year. If memory serves, I was much more disgusted looking at them this past summer vs. the previous couple years.

I also agree about the introduction of the parasite happening after the second poisoning. Yeah, true shame.

Troutstalker55B
01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I still can't figure out why I'm catching clean beautiful trout in the skinny water, and parasite fish out in the main parts of the lake no matter the depth. These sic fish are also a certain size class from 14-16" and very silver with not much color. Below is an example of many fish I C&R this Fall at Lake Davis.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/lakedavis731_1_1.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/lakedavis732_2_1.jpg

Many of the skinny water fish are big and maybe they bully those smaller fish out of the areas with food.

Jon.

FRSam
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
My experience this year, and I fish the lake quite a bit as it's almost in my backyard,is the majority of the fish were coming up clean. Some did have copods but nothing like they did in 09' & 10'.

I'm disappointed to hear that so many of your fish were so infested with these parasites. My last two days out the week after Thanksgiving fishing the north end of the lake I'd say two or three fish had blems on them but nothing like last year and these were both easily 15 fish days. (On a side note I was also looking for SNAILS after reading on this board that someone had taken several fish packed with them out of the north end of the lake...none of my fish had any snails nor did my friends fish.)

Jon those are sure pretty fish!!! Hopefully someday they'll ALL look like that!!!

Pete