PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Tube flies??

spinfisher
12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Just looking for opinions, Something I saw and just wanted to try it!

troutless
12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Just looking for opinions, Something I saw and just wanted to try it!

Opinions on what, specifically? You will find usage among the steelheaders. I've been tying some on the ProTube system, pretty easy to set up.

Darian
12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I've used them in salt water but not in fresh water. They're effective in the imitation of squid when the tube is sued to tie the mantle on making a two part pattern. The only problem I've noticed in this pattern is the tendency for the tube portion to drift up the line when a fish is on but that can be remedied. :|

There're a number of patterns based on tubes for saltwater and I've been working on a Lamprey pattern based on the same two part design used above for Stripers. :)

IMO, They're a good fly to use in the right application. :D

weightforwardfilms
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
For Steelhead - Silvey's Tandem Tubes & Hatwick's Hoser.

Yard Sale
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes! I have found that my hook up to fish landed ratio has gotten way better than with the old school long shank flies.

Also nice to be able to swap out hooks if one gets dinged up.

But I am a steelhead guy so there you have it!

Jeff Putnam
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
About 80% of all my steelhead fishing consists of tube flies, here's a leader formula (link below) to cast the 20 grain-1" copper or brass tubes that are my go to tube also the 1/2" are nice to have. They sink fast and I use a floating line to fish them, even in the dead of winter when the water temps are in the 40'S. Aluminum is also nice...fished them on the north coast recently and love their super slow sink rate for slow moving tidal water. Owner Mosquito Hooks, size 6 - 2/0 are my favs for a short shank, ultimate penetration hook, that are extremely sharp... and very few lost fish when they dance on the surface! A snell knot will prevent the tube from hitting the knot as it slides up and down the leader when casting, preventing a lost fly and or a broken off fish. A snell knot is tied directly to the hook shank, some anglers slide a small plastic bead on the leader prior to tying on the fl. I just don't want any force (tube, bead, etc) sliding down against a knot which will simply weaken it.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/groupclasses/castingclasses/speyzone_tubeflies.htm

good luck, JP