PDA

View Full Version : South Fork American

Troutsource
12-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm considering fishing the S. Fork American between Chilli Bar and Folsom Lake over the holidays, ideally in a less accessible area. I fished at Salmon Falls last February when the lake was low, but the river was raging and ice cold and I caught nothing. In the summer, I've also fished Chili Bar and landed a nice brown, plus Coloma and landed a small rainbow.

I was hoping to explore above Salmon Falls, since the lake is fairly low now, but am not sure what kinds of trails (if any) lead up from the lake. I read the other week that the trout in the lake were banked up near the surface around Beals Point -- do any of these fish head up the river? We have one-man pontoon boats, but I am not sure how safe that would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it's top secret you can PM me.

Thanks.

Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
There are a couple of serious rapids down that way so be careful.

I think Aaron at the shop has been down through there recently fishing too.

Scott Thornley
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
A boater's description of the lower SF American:

http://cacreeks.com/amer-sf.htm

I know there are trails along the lower portion of the SF American, but don't know the exact details. Here's the American River Conservancy page:

http://www.arconservancy.org/site/c.psKZL3PFLrF/b.5699519/k.86FA/Maps__Trails.htm

I strongly urge you to consider leaving the pontoons at home, until you get to know the river, and even then, you'll probably want to forgo using them in favor of a 12'-14' raft. While I've never had anyone take a swim below Fowler's Rock, a few moments of inattentiveness on my part had us jumping to highside in Scissors.

Actually, belay that last - Surprise got me once. Flipped me right off the back of the boat. None of my crew knew about it until I was along side, asking them to pull me back in the boat.

Scott

Troutsource
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up steelheading on the Lower American -- closer drive. If/when I fish the S. Fork, I will be sure to use everyone's information and post the results.

Paul

Troutsource
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Fished below Salmon Falls Wednesday an hour before sunset, swung soft hackles on my switch rod (too lazy/busy to change from my steelhead rig which had sinktip). Nothing caught, hooked or seen. Saw a few midges, hooked some of the green and tan algae on the river bottom. Was with my 8 year old son doing some exploring in addition to fishing. Maybe under different circumstances I would have drifted midge larvae. Lake level is around 400 feet and the bridge is around 500 so there is significant river below the bridge before it enters the lake. Some nice riffles, big boulders, plus some flats. Seems like a rare opportunity with this combination of low flows and low lake level. Will try to post photos later.

Troutsource
12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
P.S. it would make some nice steelhead water. I wonder if the Folsom Lake fish ladder will ever be built.

I read of possible plans to truck steelhead into the N Fork Yuba.