PDA

View Full Version : Amador Mutants Like Buggers

novofish
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Went to Amador on Sun. and had fun with the 18"+ rubber trout.
They liked the black Wooly Bugger, and were hard fighting mutants too.
Had more luck in the coves than the main body of the lake.
Kept a couple for the smoker.
Entry fee was a bit steep, but WTH, better than watching TV :-)

Lincoln Gray
12-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice fish, how much is the entry fee these days?

DennisV
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Not cheap.

Just myself in my boat = $24

In the tube = $19

extra fisherman in boat + $8 each

There are some real toads in there though and its close to home.

Mark Kranhold
12-23-2011, 08:00 AM
I have heard the Amador strain rainbows are a quarter steelhead. Maybe that's why they are hard fighters.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-23-2011, 09:17 AM
In the winter this is a good put-n-take planned Rainbow trout fishery and in the summer it is a good bass fishing lake as well.

http://www.kiene.com/reports/reservoirs/amador.shtm

OceanSunfish
12-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I have heard the Amador strain rainbows are a quarter steelhead. Maybe that's why they are hard fighters.

Donaldson strain rainbows.

Some private trout stillwaters in CA have also used the same strain of trout too. So if you think about it, Amador is quite reasonably priced compared to some of the limited rods per day private lakes, just not as "private", obviously.

5-Dot, if I'm not mistaken, are or were Donaldson, at least when I fished there over a decade ago.

I also understand that the trout at Amador are released from a pen that is out in the main body of the lake allowing the fish to disperse. I understand that previous practice of releasing the fish right at the ramp only led to people actually employing non hook/line angling practices.... i.g.; netting, etc.

JAWallace
01-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Can you kick a pontoon from the launch ramp to fish, or do you really need a boat? I'm not that ambitious to kick a mile for planters. I assume there's only one launch spot? Thanks.

gene goss
01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Can you kick a pontoon from the launch ramp to fish, or do you really need a boat? I'm not that ambitious to kick a mile for planters. I assume there's only one launch spot? Thanks.

There is only one ramp....there is a dirt road on the north side of the lake, take it to the last parking lot...then you have to carry your pontoon for about a 100ft. If you have oars you can row from the boat ramp.