PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with Hodgeman waders and the company

plotkinms
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
About a year and a half ago I Got a pair of Hodgeman Zipper front waders and used them about a dozen times. On the last usage on the way back from a Trinity river with my fishing club I fished the fair grounds in Redding. I discovered the material on the legs delaminated when I noticed I was carrying several pounds of water around inside each leg (makes quit a difference when you’re wading). When I contacted Hodgeman customer service I was told they were out of warranty and that they would allow 40% off another pair (which is probably more than the distributor price). I feel this is unfair and that I am paying for their mistakes (seems like faulty material.) On the same trip my another club member and fishing buddy Bob M. found the zipper in his Hodgeman waders bought about the same time was leaking; but luckily for him, he bought them from Cabela’s who stand behind their sales. As an added insult I requested 3 times over a 2 week period that the Product Manager for Hodgeman waders please call me back – it didn't happen. As expected I’m not replacing them with another pair of Hodgeman’s; but will probably go with Simm’s who stand behind their products, probably because they don’t have to.

IronMtn
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm gonna sound like a sales rep... which I'm not... but I had to make a suggestion, considering I've been in your shoes before.

You should seriously consider Redington sonic pro waders. They are (by far) the most comfortable and effective waders for your money on the market right now. For half the cost of a good pair of Simms waders, you get all the same luxuries, and they're backed by Redington's crazy-good warranty and customer service.

I had a problem with a pair of the older CPX waders (which were epic as well, except for a leaky seam), and Redington had them replaced under warranty, no questions asked. I had new waders in a week. Now I own the Sonic Pros and they are (in my opinion) as good as it gets, and that kind of quality customer service makes 'em that much sweeter. I was so impressed with their customer service, I think I might send Laura, the warranty rep at Sage/Redington, some Christmas cookies.

plotkinms
12-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I'll seriously consider the Redington waders. I've had previous and very positive experience with the Sage, RIO, Redington customer service and can't say enough good things about them. Probably why I own so many of their products and buy them in favor of others when all things are equal.

EricO
12-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey IronMtn,

The Redington Sonic Pro's will be my next pair of waders. The reviews have been stellar, and yours is the third rave review on this board. And the price point is lower than most.

Now, to get with or without the zipper? For $100 less I think I can unstrap them to take a leak. Lol.

EO

Morgan
12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
how much are the non zipper ones?

troutless
12-18-2011, 05:29 PM
My philosophy with Hodgman waders is that I try to look for them on closeout at some big chain, use them for 12-18 months, and then move on to a new pair. I no longer even bother trying to aquaseal them when the leaks start. At the rate I'm going by the time I wear out my Simms I'll probably have sunk about as much money into Hodgman. So pick your poison.

Mike O
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
As long as we are reviewing here

LLBean waders have been great for me, and a lifetime warrantee on your satisfaction can't be beat!

goby
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I love my Orvis Sonic Waders. I'm a hardcore Orvis fan. I've had bad luck with my T3 and have broke it 4 times (all my fault) during the past 7 years. Orvis has been great in either replacing the section or the entire rod. I've replaced several waders, too.

I love Orvis, but if there is another brand with great customer service (like companies in the post above), I suggest sticking with them.

Larry S
12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
My problem here is "SIZE." I have large feet - 12-EE. Could buy 11 1/2: but need the
EE. Many companies have you into a(an) EX or EXX for that foot size. I could have
several other folks in those waders with me! The neoprene booties are obviously
an "add on" so why not a few choices with foot sizes, rather than torso.
Incidentally, anyone out there that would fit into a pair of Orvis Large/Long waders?
Let me know. King Kong could use these.
Best,
Larry S

garypullings
12-27-2011, 08:25 AM
As some one who worked in the manufacturing business for diving equipment for years and is very familiar with the materials being used due to the fact that I used the same materials as they are using now and with the same manufactures.

First off if they are delaminating, they should be under warranty from the manufacture of the material. one of the problems they (The manufacture of the waders) won't due that is because they have to recall the whole lot. depending on the material if it is true gortex it is only available from brittan right now. There are several similar brands but no true gortex. a reputable company will recall the whole lot that they used in their manufacturing.

Dan LeCount
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Ive heard a lot of good reviews from friends and whatnot about the Reddingtons, although still, gonna stick with my Simms since the price is close (250 vs 350 I think for comparable models) but the main reason is the Simms liner being Gore tex that can be self tested for leaks in the field. With a bottle of Alcohol it takes 2 seconds to check and then be repaired easily with aqua seal. I think the reddingtons are going to pose the same issue I had with my old Patagonias, if you want to self repair and the leak isnt something obvious like a huge tear, its an absolute pain.

All in all, the options for waders nowadays are pretty amazing, but you still definitely get what you pay for. I learned that lesson early when I bought some paper thin Orvis clearwater waders back in the day for like a 100 bucks and had them leak the first time out from scuffing my knee on a rock.