PDA

View Full Version : Impossible eclipse

jbird
12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
This mornings lunar eclipse at first glance defies phyisics. apparently theres some kind of refraction in the earths atmosphere that bends light to the point where we can see the sun for several minutes after it actually sets. Same with before it rises. The same goes for the moon (and anything visible in space I suppose) So this phenomenon caused a lunar eclipse thismorning when the sun was visible right at dawn.

We were lucky enough to have clear skies thismorning for the event. Kind of a boring photo, but considering whats happening here, its a keeper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/_JDS2113_edited-1.jpg

The moon was completely gone by the time it reached the horizon and the sun was just up.

Kneedeep
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Outstanding as usual, jbird.
Always look forward to seeing your pics!:thumbsup:

jaybo41
12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
jbird, that's a great photo, thanks for sharing! I scrolled down to the photo and my first thought was...the landscape looks similar to SW Wisconsin. Sure enough I scrolled up to see where you were from and got my answer lol.

jbird
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
jbird, that's a great photo, thanks for sharing! I scrolled down to the photo and my first thought was...the landscape looks similar to SW Wisconsin. Sure enough I scrolled up to see where you were from and got my answer lol.

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Another upper midwesterner.

jaybo41
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks. Actually I'm more of a Northeasterner, but really enjoy fishing in your neck of the woods:D

jbird
12-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Ah ha. Now Im reading your location correctly... EASTERN great lakes :-)