PDA

View Full Version : Rod warranty card

Woodman
12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I've bought my fair share (maybe more) of both new and used rods over the years. I often see sellers of used rods advertising "blank warranty cards" included.

What really is the policy of the rod companies. Do they cover secondhand rods or just the original purchaser? Do they believe you're the original purchaser just because you have a warranty card?

I recently sent a rod to Loomis for repair. Don't recall that I ever registered it, and I didn't have the card. They charged me their normal fee.

What gives?

Dave E.
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Since I don't break stuff, all registering a reel, rod or line does for me is increase the amount of unwanted junk mail I get from fly-ish type businesses that I've never heard of before......and well, each year I get some spiffy full color catalogs from those companies that I've supported with my purchases, showing off all the new & improved models, that cause mine to become the old & unimproved models. http://www.kiene.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Marketing is Marketing......whether it's selling a used rod with a blank warranty card or a brand new rod fresh off the retailers shelf that comes with a blank warranty card.

Best, Dave

BillyB
12-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I break stuff every year. Don't know how I do it. Just gifted I guess. I've sent rods back to Sage and Scott, some I purchased new and registered and some second hand. Never had a problem with either company. Just filled out the online repair card and sent the rods back. Both Scott and Sage have been fantastic. I've heard others have had very slow service from Scott but my rods have had about a 3 week turnaround . I've sent them 4 over the last 5 years. I stick with the American made products.

Ed Wahl
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I break stuff every year. Don't know how I do it. Just gifted I guess. I've sent rods back to Sage and Scott, some I purchased new and registered and some second hand. Never had a problem with either company. Just filled out the online repair card and sent the rods back. Both Scott and Sage have been fantastic. I've heard others have had very slow service from Scott but my rods have had about a 3 week turnaround . I've sent them 4 over the last 5 years. I stick with the American made products.

+1

Sometimes you get on a rod breaking roll and it seems to never end. I've never filled out a card nor have I ever been asked when calling about repairs.

I got a TFO back in a week once, but I included a description/tale of the incident along with a pic of the eventually landed fish. :grin:
Ed

NCL
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
My experience with Scott Rods and Winston Rods is the same as reported by Ed and Billy. I have never dealt with Sage so I can not comment from personal experience but I have friend that will only buy Sage because of the warranty experience he had with them. I register all my rods and reels so I am not sure how the companies would react if it was not registered. When I dealt with Scott, I broke two rods in about a two week time period, they didn't seem to concerned about the registration but the rods were registered. I have always thought the reason people mention the warranty card is included so that you can register as the orginal owner but I have never done it so I don't know that for sure.

I also had experience with Galvan reels on a return for warranty work and they were outstanding to deal with and very fast turn-a-round.

Mike O
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Redington doesn't even have serials on their older rods, I D/K about the new ones, so how would they know who the original owner was? I figure if the rod has a lifetime warr., it doesn't matter who the owner was...or "lifetime" makes no sense. I mean, I could give a rod to my kid and it would go another 80-100 years without a new owner.