PDA

View Full Version : Planting trout in Rancho Seco Pond?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
They usually plant trout about now in Rancho Seco.

Any word out there about this?

SHigSpeed
12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
They usually plant trout about now in Rancho Seco.

Any word out there about this?

Just last week, Bill.

_SHig

gene goss
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
SMUD sponsored 2 trout derby's at Rancho Seco, first one would be the first week in Dec. and the second one would be in march. Last year SMUD cancel the Dec. fishing derby and only had the one in April.
Some of the trout for the Dec. trout derby didn't get caught on the derby weekend, and would spread out around the lake. It was a great place to float tube, and fly fish for those big trout all winter, and it was only 30 mins from Sacramento.
I wonder how much it would cost for a 1000 lbs of 2-3lbs of trout to be planted in Rancho Seco? Could we get some sponsors from the fishing community, and the fishing clubs to help with a couple of trout plants for the winter months.

Morgan
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
SMUD sponsored 2 trout derby's at Rancho Seco, first one would be the first week in Dec. and the second one would be in march. Last year SMUD cancel the Dec. fishing derby and only had the one in April.
Some of the trout for the Dec. trout derby didn't get caught on the derby weekend, and would spread out around the lake. It was a great place to float tube, and fly fish for those big trout all winter, and it was only 30 mins from Sacramento.
I wonder how much it would cost for a 1000 lbs of 2-3lbs of trout to be planted in Rancho Seco? Could we get some sponsors from the fishing community, and the fishing clubs to help with a couple of trout plants for the winter months.

I too am curious as too what some nice sized planters would cost to stock a pond. We have a little local pond and they have a derby once a year....fishing is a blast after that for that close 5 min drive. It would be nice to plant it and try and keep it quiet to fish the rest of the season when bored.

KJE
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Well, it costs DFG around $3.60-4 a pound to raise standard rainbows, if you can believe that. The private hatcheries are all over the board but can certainly beat that, unless we're talking monsters.

Darian
12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Seems like you could contact SMUD to find out where they get their Trout and at what price they pay.... Also, there's a private hatchery at Amador Lake. Not too far from Rancho.... :fish:

Scott V
12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Seems like you could contact SMUD to find out where they get their Trout and at what price they pay.... Also, there's a private hatchery at Amador Lake. Not too far from Rancho.... :fish:

If the price of fishing at Amador is closely related to what their planted fish cost then it is very expensive because Amador is ridiculously over price in my opinion.

CapitalFishr
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Calaveras Trout Farm used to plant ranch seco back in the day. I met the guy out there once upon a time when I threw super dupers... ended up getting the guy's contact info. We would call him and bug for info on places and times he would plant.

Scott V
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Calaveras Trout Farm used to plant ranch seco back in the day. I met the guy out there once upon a time when I threw super dupers... ended up getting the guy's contact info. We would call him and bug for info on places and times he would plant.

Call already, what are you waiting for. I would like to catch and release some of those planters before the keepers keep all the fish.

It would be cool if you could get some info!!!

CapitalFishr
12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
They quoted me $3.25 lb...

Lets say we could get 2 pounders for $6.50, he wasn't sure but could get back to me. For $1300 we could get 200 fish... and so on. Seemed pretty open to idea.

gene goss
12-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Your right Darian.....the SMUD people have done all the work already and have all the info. for making it work.
DFG require a private stocking permit, and if you have a fishing derby, you need to apply for a fishing derby application.
The easiest way is to work with the SMUD people for a trout plant, we would raise the money to pay for the trout plants, and I would like to benefit the fly fisher for this trout plant so we need to plan on how to make it work for us.
Here is my Ideals....If we didn't have a fishing derby, and if we planted the trout in mid-week, and in the middle of the night on a unannounced date. Also if we could select the type of rainbow trout to plant, and make sure the surface water temp is warm enough to keep the trout deep untill the lake cools, this should keep the shore catching to minamal amount. Around the first of Nov. next year would give us time to make this work.

Jay
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Seco gets fish from both the DFG and from the Amador hatchery. The dfg stopped planting for several years, but I believe it has resumed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I heard they have been planting it now getting ready for a big tournement.

gene goss
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I heard they have been planting it now getting ready for a big tournement.

Hey Bill....are you talking about a tournement at Rancho Seco????