PDA

View Full Version : Truckee-Dec.

bigfly
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
The post for Dec. is much like Nov.
Not too much changes bug wise, very small dark nymphs sz 20-22, midges in a variety of colors -Tan, white, black.
Until snow comes in large amouts, we still have parking access to the river.
Remember, after Nov. we cannot park on the road ways......
Snow is patchy, mostly melted in the sun.
The water temp is now below 40.
Day time swings from a toasty (in the sun) feeling 59, to a fridged freezing in the shade. Flows are at lower winter flow right now.
Above Truckee, creek like. Down in the canyon around 500-600 cfs, and quite wadible. The fish have spread out, (not just in fast water now).
They get a little less pressure now, and the river has long stretches that nobody is on.
Prime-time is the standard in the winter.
11:00-2:00 each day is air/water peak temp. I fish both earlier and later, but fish stats drop off noticibly. You may find a riser if you are sharp eyed.
Mostly it's indy style, or streamers. My switch rod pays dividens, at these flows.
Allows me to stay back from them a little. With water this clear, and fish this smart, being sneaky doesn't hurt. Lighter leaders are a good call.
Keep your eyes open for bugs outside the norm, we are seeing some bugs outside normal hatch patterns (Just like March browns in June.).
Fish are oportunistic, and I'm sure they get bored with midges.......

Shore fishing, and fishing off the dams on lakes has been pretty good. Bring a tube for fun, when they move off shore.
Tales of piggies are being heard on the grapevine. Try a midge under a bobber.......if there is a slight ripple on the water.
Hope you all have a great Dec. and holiday season.

Jim

Morgan
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Had ice on the shore yesterday. Air temp was cold...eyelits freezing. Gonna be a cold fun winter on the truckee...from a boat :)

bigfly
12-04-2011, 02:29 PM
While we locals can strike day or night, often we approach it like local skiers, if it's a good day, we go.
After years of fishing/sliding all the time, you figure out when it's smart to go.
We have work and chores to do just like everyone else. The good days just cause us to "flex schedule".
I think work is a four letter word when it comes to fishing.
Now, I understand the reality of planning for a weekend three weeks away.
And I don't want to sound unpatriotic, or undermine the capitalist system.
But, to improve your fish stats, call in sick on the days the weather man says it will be warmer, and no wind.
Temps last night were in the mid twenties, and afternoons with no wind are amazing (feels like 60 deg).
Approached this way, the Truckee is fishing well. I hook up almost every time I go.
In addition, you're comfortable and it's beautiful to say the least.
They are in there, and seem to me more feisty than warmer summer flows allow.
Go fishing anytime you can, but seizing the day, is key to improving your fishing stats in the winter..

As always bring an extra set of clothes.
I reccomend no cotton in your wardrobe.
If I ship some water with synthetics on, I can keep fishing. With cotton on, I'm done.
A vest is good over your fleece jacket, and under a windbreaker. Gives good arm mobility, and counter-acts heat lost from wading.
Bring some Dave's paste, and studded boots are a good call.
Maybe fish a little closer to the car in case of a slip. In these temps, it's a good idea to fish with a buddy, or at least tell someone where you are going.
I love my Simm's wind-proof fleece hat, and fingerless gloves.

By the way, I did some experimenting over the last few years winter fishing on the T.
Since they can "hear/feel", vibrations of us coming through the ground in summer, it occurred to me one day, that snow/ice might be noisy too. Crunch, squeeck, crackle, etc...
I put the sneak on in another fisherman's tracks, then stepped waay over the ice shelf. Almost stepped on a pig hiding/feeding under the shelf ice in 8" of water.
Try drifting your midge under shelf ice that has a nice bubble line flowing under it.
Cold temps help create miles of frozen structure for them to hide out underneath.
The emerging bugs, and midges returning for sex, will get caught in these narrow seams of bubbles.
It can be a better than average place to fish.
They will often "sun themselves" in shallow water as it's sometimes warmer, than the middle flows.
Two to three degrees can make a real difference to them.

Update: Some of the shelf ice has relented after a few "warm days".
Balmy is how it feels after the chill of late.
I have to carry two hats. A fleece one for early cold, then a baseball cap in the afternoon.
Same goes for overlayers. An exta fleece in the AM, and maybe just a wind breaker and a light synthetic insulating shirt in the PM.

Just below town is fishing OK. Smaller water, but fishy if you use your sneak.
Deeper in the canyon is better because of more water to fish.. The problem down there, is the shorter window for sun due to higher rock walls near the water. Move around with the sun....