PDA

View Full Version : Bisharat Flies....

Darian
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
After attending the recent El Salto presentation a Kiene's, Charlie gave us a look at some of his newer creations. Since I'm a big advocate of using propellers in flies, I was pleased to see that Charlie is, as well. I don't want to give up any of his secrets but he's got a couple that look a lot like spinner baits or injured minnows. Another was an Eel. One thing's for sure, Charlie likes large flies (large fly = large fish). Only one pattern was relatively small and that one was a variation of popper that looked similar to one of Leo Guttierez poppers but larger and made of closed cell foam plus a tail.... Really cool :D

At any rate, Charlie showed the Pucker Lips bug, Bubblelicious (a diver pattern that can be purchased at Kiene's now) and a few other flies. I've used a prototype Bubblelicious when fishing with Capt. KD one time and found it easy to cast, weedless and a good bug for Black Bass. :)

Charlie tied up a Rat pattern using a very creative combo of synthetic hair, closed cell foam and a tail of ultra-suede (great stuff BTW). it looks bulky but is light weight and will not sink. All of this in a short period of time. :)

Seems like all of the really good tyers are creative (if that's an adequate description), and very well organized. I see Charlie as one of them.... =D>

Jay Murakoshi
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I've used props for a number of years at least 20+. I probably have 2,000 props sitting in my garage in various sizes and colors. I've used them in baja but it seemed to scare the roosters. I tie them on a small gauge piano wire using a wire twisting machine. The same kind of machine used for making spinner baits.
I hope to have some bait fish made up for baja using plastic tubing and EZ Body tubing. I might even demo at the Pleasanton show this year.
I think one of the originating tyers from around here who used props was Eddie Chiles.

Jay

Darian
12-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Jay,.... As I recall, you tie a deer hair pattern using a propeller in the front (or was it the rear :confused: ) :?:

I'm trying to work out a deer hair version of an Injured minnow with props on both ends. The front prop is not a problem. The rear prop presents a bit of a problem in trying to keep it close to the body with a tail behind it. Still working on it, tho. Once I finalize the pattern and produce a fly, I'll post a photo. 8-)

Jay Murakoshi
12-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Darian

I'll send you an email describing how I/would add a prop and a tail. I've experimented with the process and came up with something that could work

Jay