PDA

View Full Version : Striper Seasons Question

Ryan
11-20-2011, 03:02 PM
So I have heard you can fish stripers nearly 10 out of 12 months of the year. I think I read that on this board somewhere? Can anyone inform me on which months are ideal for what waterways here in the Sacramento/San fransisco area? I'm interested in any forks of the Delta, the Sacramento, Feather, Napa River. Any info on when to fish any of these waterways, or anything else will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to try the delta for my first time. I've wakeboarded in the delta countless times but never fly fished it. Can anyone give me some advice on where to launch at? I recently bought a 14' Jon boat with a 20 horse motor. I also have GPS, Marine radio, trolling motor, and oars, I know the delta can be very confusing to navigate, but with all my gear and extra batteries I'll feel pretty comfortable exploring new water. But thanks in advance, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike McKenzie
11-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, you heard wrong you can fish twelve months of the year for stripers in most of the places you mention but with 14' Jon Boat I'd recommend staying off the big waters (Bay and the bigger sloughs in the Delta) For the Napa River the launch ramp J.F.Kennedy Memorial Park is the best bet.

For the Delta there are many launch sites Arrowhead Marina is on Holland Rd. (off of Hiway 84) is good spot for the North Delta others would be B&W, Tower Park, Paradise Point marinas (Google them) for the middle Delta, Sugar Barge Marina & RV Park on Bethel Island (Google them too) is the best bet. Right now unless things have changed recently most of the south Delta launch ramps are useless because of the water Hyacinth.

I'll let someone else speak for the rivers right now but I'd guess there's some fish in them but I don't know what the flows are.

Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Very general timings for free roaming Stripers in Nor Cal.....

Some of the guys who specialize in the different areas might comment too.

My information is from talking with top local guides and top local fly fishers.

I would say that Dec/Jan can be more difficult with flies (but possible) because of the low water temps.

In the early spring (Feb/March) the Stripers are usually found on the Lower Feather River around Star Bend area.

April/May they are running up the Sacramento River past Sacramento up river to around Colusa to spawn.This varies with the yearly runoff.

June/July/August they are either staying in the upper reaches of our valley rivers or going down to the Bay and out on the ocean beaches.

Sept/Oct/Nov they are coming in from the saltwater to spend the fall and winter in the Delta.

I think that November is the average top month for Stripers in the Delta.

Again, Dec/Jan are tough month for most with flies.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Timing for Lower American River

April/May can be good

June is slow because the locals think that the Stripers are eating the American Shad which are really here in June.

July/August/Sept can be good too.

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Also, I'd like to try the delta for my first time. I've wakeboarded in the delta countless times but never fly fished it. Can anyone give me some advice on where to launch at? I recently bought a 14' Jon boat with a 20 horse motor. I also have GPS, Marine radio, trolling motor, and oars, I know the delta can be very confusing to navigate, but with all my gear and extra batteries I'll feel pretty comfortable exploring new water. But thanks in advance, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

When we schedule our club fishout for the Delta, we always launch out of Paradise Point because Bishop Cut is a 5 mph zone and those with personal watercraft can join us as well. Disappointment slough is good for jonboats too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Paradise+Point+Marina,+Stockton,+CA&hl=en&ll=38.065257,-121.42107&spn=0.097308,0.154324&sll=38.043698,-121.418581&sspn=0.024334,0.038581&vpsrc=6&hnear=Paradise+Point+Marina,+8095+Rio+Blanco+Rd,+S tockton,+California+95219&t=h&z=13

Hubby and I fish for stripes in the delta from Oct - Dec, although the big 'uns seem to be late this year...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Tiki Lagun Marina is a good place to launch a smaller boat and access Mildred Island.

http://www.tikimarina.com/

Lots of small water around New Hope Marina too.

http://www.newhopelanding.org/

Ryan
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I appreciate it guys... Thats exactly the info I was looking for and more! I fished the Napa yesterday for a few hours... Fishing was slow only caught 2 and had a few other grabs. The pic attached is of a little 3 pounder... Hes the biggest myself personally has landed this year on the Napa. I've hooked a few that felt a lot bigger, but I can't seem to ever land them.

Tony Buzolich
11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
That's a fine fish Ryan, and considering how slow the delta is you did good. Everything seems to be a little later this year and maybe these are still some of the summer fish that come out of the bay.

I used to fish the Napa a lot and often did good in that slough just above the Southern Crossing bridge. You can also put in at Cuttings Wharf and motor up a ways and then let the falling tide carry you back to where you put in.

If you go down river past the yacht club the river opens up and there is a maze of sloughs to the west. Be careful here because you can get turned around real easy. A GPS is very useful especially when it's dark or the fog comes in.

If you motor up into town there's always a lot of structure and there's usually a few salmon up there now too.

Just below the Imola St bridge there is an area that is exactly like Discovery Bay with lots of docks behind nice homes that often hold fish.

Good luck,
TONY