PDA

View Full Version : Rio OBS issues

ssy
11-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I was out yesterday and snagged up. Tough spot to be in with the wind and current and fishing solo, so I tried to get over as best I could but nada. Another lost fly to the gods, I thought so I just held my reel and pointed straight at the snag to break the leader. Snap! Reel up to find the line broke above the the sinking part. :(:-x:crybaby: Just bought it a few months ago and fished 4 times. It was a 9wt. type 6. My leader is 20lb. Maxima. Has this happened to anyone else? I could not find any warranty from Rio. Is it also possible to just add on a sink tip to the existing?

Woodman
11-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I'd bet Rio would replace if you contacted them.

Tony Buzolich
11-20-2011, 11:22 AM
This has happened numerous times to anyone who fishes stripers very much or any deep water fish. There has to be so much debris down there that sooner or later we all drag our lines over, around, and through every imaginable obsticle there is. It's happened to me and all of my fishing buddies many times and usually doesn't matter which brand of line you're using. We all ask the same question, "Why did it break so high?" or "It's almost a new line" or " I only used it a couple of times".

We always try and blame the product when more than likely it's simply our own accidental contact with some form a snag or sharp object. It doesn't matter if it's an S/A, a RIO, or a Cortland, the companies are all good about exchanging lines for any questionable reason.

The line companies monitor returns so they can correct any possible defects and maintain a quality product if there really is in fact a problem. But, in the meantime they will gladly return your damaged line with a new one and keep you happy. It's good for their business to keep customers satisfied.

But, in the meantime, head on down to Bill's shop and buy yourself another line to use as a back-up while you're waiting for the damaged line to be exchanged, then try and remember where those snags are and avoid them if you can.

Been there and done that a lot, TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
The core strength of that line is 20# or maybe 30#.

This happens a lot to all the integrated super fast sinking lines.

You can get the line caught up too so the core of the line will break.

Sadly, this is usually not a warranty issue.

For people who buy lines from our shop and destroy the line, we will sell them another at 50% off to help out.

You can send it to the manufacturer with a nice note and they might replace it for you.

ssy
11-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Bill, That is a wonderful gesture as I did buy it from your shop after talking to you about the line. I will take you up on the offer if I don't here back from Rio.

Tony,

I hear what your say but the area I was fish had a small tree or stump about 5 feet off the bottom in 25ft. of water. Very structureless bottom. I'm glad to hear others had the same issue. I thought I was crazy that it happened like that.

Terry Imai
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Just like an iceberg has 90% below the water line, you'll be amazed what is underwater especially if you're fishing "structure". Many years ago during one of our drought years, I was able to find one of the stumps in Folsom Lake that was underwater probably since the lake's inception. This stump looked like a Christmas tree with the huge number of lures and hardware. Just figure how much garbage that could have been on that trunk which could have cut/snapped your line.