PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable PFD for travel?

Ted S
11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I am headed to Christmas Island in January and the travel company that I am using has recommended that I take an inflatable PFD since the life jackets that the lodges supply there are either inadequate or non-existent. I have looked into several different types, ranging in price from about $100 to about $300, depending on the type of inflation mechanism.

One complication is that all of these require a CO2 cartridge for inflation. There appear to be restrictions for taking these on airplanes, either in the cabin or in checked baggage. This may restrict me to using any PFD without the CO2 cartridge. This would imply that I should just inflate it by mouth before I get on the boat and forget the auto inflation features. If this is the case, I can see no reason the buy one of the high-priced models.

If anyone has traveled by air with an inflatable PFD recently and could offer advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ted

jmccandless
11-30-2011, 02:48 PM
My buddy and I had the auto-inflatable vests with us on our last trip flying from CA to MT.

I packed my vest in with my Watermaster and didn't have any problems. I believe they even opened/inspected the bag after I checked it. Obviously, I was sure to disarm the co2 cartridge. It might have been the luck of the draw but that was my experience.

Maybe leave the cartridge in clear sight so they can choose to remove only the cartridge and not the entire vest. Or, buy the auto-inflate vest but leave out the cartridge for this trip. Then you'll still have the feature when using the vest on non-travel trips... Just some ideas...

jmc

Mike McKenzie
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
The most common response from airlines...

Example-Life jackets inflated by CO2 cartridges

Allowed For Travel? Yes

Notes-Limit to one per passenger in checked baggage only.

TSA may confiscate. (doubtful)

Obviously you would disarm the cartridge for travel to avoid an accidental discharge by rough baggage handling....

Call the airline you'll be traveling with or check their web site and let them answer the question...

Mike

Larry S
12-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Aren't the life-vests on airlines CO-2 self-inflated? Hmmmmmm.
Vest to you,
Larry S

Cmcculloch
01-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Personal Floatation Devices

If you are so inclined, you may bring your own personal life jacket, though we do provide them to all passengers. Delta will accept one self-inflating life jacket that contains no more than two small carbon dioxide cylinders plus no more than two spare cylinders as checked or carry-on baggage.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/dangerous_goods/index.jsp