PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Reels?

DFrink
11-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Thinking of buying a new reel soon. I am leaning towards one of the new Echo Ion reels that Bill posted about, they have great reviews for the price. In my searching I keep seeing these cartridge set ups.

Anyone have any opinions on how these reels hold up? I've seen some marked at very low price points, and they usually come with at least 1 extra spool. Just looking for input.

FYI - I fish for trout, and since I fish mostly from a tube these days I rarely get a fish on the reel so I don't need a crazy drag system. I also don't pay big bucks for fishing gear so please refrain from recommending a reel that runs in the $200 or higher price range.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

Scott V
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
The Sea Level Tempest reels are great for both fresh and saltwater, plus they are $125 in the 5/6 size and $175 in the 7/8 size. I have both and have used them in both fresh and saltwater.

aaron
11-09-2011, 03:52 PM
The Ion is the best bang for your buck out there. Cartridges aren't the most durable. Big in europe for some reason, dead in the states.

Woodman
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I bought an ion 4/5 to check it out. Seems like a great reel for the price. Only drawback I see, especially for a stillwater reel (where you may want multiple spools, and you'll be in your tube) is the lack of a quick release spool. You have to unscrew a cap (and keep track of it) while you change spools.

aaron
11-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Woodman, cap doesn't need to come all the way off to take off the spool.

DFrink
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
That's good to know, and worth thinking about. I usually take multiple setups, but if I'm packing stuff in than I only take 1 rod and 1 reel, with extra spools holding appropriate lines. Thanks Woodman.

Scott, I googled those reels and they came up priced at $250? You aren't playing by the rules :lol:.

I bought an ion 4/5 to check it out. Seems like a great reel for the price. Only drawback I see, especially for a stillwater reel (where you may want multiple spools, and you'll be in your tube) is the lack of a quick release spool. You have to unscrew a cap (and keep track of it) while you change spools.

Larry S
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
In Scott's defense, the Sea Level reels have been on sale at various times at
really low prices. I've never bit; so, can't give you a review.
Best,
Larry S

DFrink
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Trying to visualize how this wood work? But +1 for the Ion. Thanks Aaron.

Woodman
11-09-2011, 05:29 PM

I'll have to take another look. Haven't actually even spooled up the reel yet, but the quality of the reel is high at face value.

Woodman
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM

He's right. I'm a moron. Interesting mechanism.

Scott V
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
That's good to know, and worth thinking about. I usually take multiple setups, but if I'm packing stuff in than I only take 1 rod and 1 reel, with extra spools holding appropriate lines. Thanks Woodman.

Scott, I googled those reels and they came up priced at $250? You aren't playing by the rules :lol:.

Dan, I would never do you wrong, these are on sale all the time. Here is the link to the shop that made and carries them. Plus they have killer customer service.

http://sealevelflyfish.com/albright-tempest-series/albright-tempest-reel/

BillB
11-09-2011, 09:02 PM
What limited experience I have with cartridge reels is the things (cartridges) seem to rub and have a tendency to warp.

Woodman
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Dan, I would never do you wrong, these are on sale all the time. Here is the link to the shop that made and carries them. Plus they have killer customer service.

They look like they come from the same factory in korea that makes redington, orvis battenkills, Fly Shop branded reels, etc. Not that it's a bad thing.

Redington Rise is darn nice if you get into the $100+ range.

DFrink
11-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Scott, my bad I was looking at the sea level tempest. They look pretty nice. This is right in the price range I am looking at, just can't justify dropping several hundred on a "line holder". Now if I ever get into steelhead fishing...

Woodman, Redington Rise is on my list as well. I love Redington products. In fact I just bought an RS4 that I couldn't be happier with. It's so much lighter than my TFO Prof. series, and seams to be much more responsive. Okay, getting off track.

I think the cartridge reels are no longer on my list of possibilities, thanks for the input.

Dan

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Our best selling reel above the Echo 'Ion' ($79 - $99) is the Orvis 'Access' series in the $150 range.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3R44