PDA

View Full Version : Klamath report

Ffdoc
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi All,

I took a quick trip last weekend up to fish the Klamath for the first time. I stopped by the Trinity on the way up and was surprised at how few people were fishing. Apparently this reflects how fishing has been there. Stopped to fish near Junction city for a couple hours and managed one 18 inch half pounder with an intact adipose fin.

We stayed at the Marble Mountain Ranch (thanks to a recommendation on this website) and I drifted the river with the guide there, Doug Cole. I drifted all day Saturday in the rain. Doug is an excellent guide and boatsman. If I had boated every fish I had on we would have had 30 fish that day. As it was I landed one adult of about 22 inches (picture attempted but failed to upload for some reason ?) and more than a dozen hot half pounders. I also landed a 30 lb Salmon that inhaled my egg sucking leach. All fish on the swing and the hot fly was a night dancer variation that I tie. I will definitely be back. That is a very pretty river. We did not see another fisherman or driftboat all day. Heidi and Doug run a terrific ranch up there and my non-fishing wife enjoyed her stay.

Best regards to all,

Ffdoc

lynnwhite44
11-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you had a great weekend. All on the swing, that's awesome. What section did you fish? The upper section from Irongate to Klamathon doesn't have a whole lot of good swing water so I'm guessing you were down river.

I like the night dancer fly alot. That was the only fly that worked for me on the deshutes in August.

Ffdoc
11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
We fished the Middle river above Somes bar . I think I finally got the picture to upload.

Ffdoc

Tiger
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Were you twitchin?

Rick J
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
really gorgeous time of year to be on the river - we fished the upper reach of the lower river above Johnsons on Saturday and did not see another person and had great fishing though it was for sure cold!!!!