PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof camera deal

kokaneejr
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey guys

Just wanted to let you know about a sale I saw on the new 14 megapixel Waterproof Pentax Optio-WG1.
I have had the 2 previous models and take almost all my fishing photos with these cameras. I love them take mine to work everyday and have never had an issue with them.
I was messing around getting my Xmas list (I know it was just Halloween) ready for my wife and saw this camera on Ama....com on sale from $329 down to $199.+ free shipping! I haven't used it so if anybody has one I would like to know but It is almost to good to pass up at that price.
Also if you have never seen it Steves Digicams is a great website for researching all types of cameras.

This is on my list now along with new waders, Fish Cat, new 6wt TFO, ..........ect.:)

Scott V
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I didn't need to know that, that is the camera I want to get. Might have to get one sooner than I expected.

kokaneejr
11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry.....If it helps the GPS version is still $249.

I looked at the Panasonic Lumix and it is $269 plus it has that starry sky feature that would allow me to annoy all fellow campers and take night time star photos and I wouldn't have to bring my big camera.

Hmmm :/

SHigSpeed
11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry.....If it helps the GPS version is still $249.

I looked at the Panasonic Lumix and it is $269 plus it has that starry sky feature that would allow me to annoy all fellow campers and take night time star photos and I wouldn't have to bring my big camera.

Hmmm :/

You can get the Lumix TS10 (stripped down manual shooting features vs TS1/2) for like $135. Great optics and it has the starry night mode! Too bad it limits to 60 seconds though.

_SHig

kokaneejr
11-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks SHig now I might be able to get 2 things on my list!!

BTW have you taken any shots with the starry feature?

SHigSpeed
11-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks SHig now I might be able to get 2 things on my list!!

BTW have you taken any shots with the starry feature?

I personally haven't used it. I just set a long exposure manually. You can search Flickr using "starry night" keywords and find photos that others have taken.

_SHig

SHigSpeed
11-12-2011, 01:24 PM
BTW, Lumix TS3 is on sale today only at Frys for $199.

_SHig

kokaneejr
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
SHig,

Thanks for that I would have bought it if Fry's was anywhere near me:(

Let me know if you spot any more deals!

Dean Y.
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
BTW, Lumix TS3 is on sale today only at Frys for $199.

_SHig

Been waiting for a deal like to this on a waterproof camera. Friend told me about Fry's 1 day sale and I finally pulled the trigger on the TS3. Playing around with it now...

Ed Wahl
11-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Can someone please tell me what a "starry sky" feature is?

I'm a doufous when it comes to cameras.

And a few other things as well.

Ed

SHigSpeed
11-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Can someone please tell me what a "starry sky" feature is?

I'm a doufous when it comes to cameras.

And a few other things as well.

Ed

It holds the aperture open for 5, 10,15, 30, or 60 seconds so you can get a clear long exposure of the stars or starlit/moonlit landscapes. Not long enough to get the long star trails, but a cool trick nonetheless. Nothing fancy, just a no-brainer long exposure setting. Must use a tripod and shutter timer tho.

_SHig

Ed Wahl
11-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks Shig.

Ed

kokaneejr
11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
SHig
Does it have any other manual settings? The older Pentax doesn't. 5 seconds mAy work to blur water on darker streams but I would rather use @1 sec.
Thanks

SHigSpeed
11-13-2011, 11:15 AM
SHig
Does it have any other manual settings? The older Pentax doesn't. 5 seconds mAy work to blur water on darker streams but I would rather use @1 sec.
Thanks

I lied about the starry settings. It's 15, 30, or 60 seconds. No manual settings (I always confuse my TS1 and my FZ50). You CAN set up the "min shutter" setting to 1 second and shoot darker streams that way or use the night portrait mode which pairs 1 second shutter and flash or night scenery which maxes the shutter to 8 seconds.

Check out the comparo with other current WP cameras here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

_SHig

rotorhead902
11-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I've looked at Frys website and i can't see that they even carry the Lumix TS3. I've checked the internet as well and can't find a price anywhere near $199. Is it on sale at the stores, but not on the website?

SHigSpeed
11-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I've looked at Frys website and i can't see that they even carry the Lumix TS3. I've checked the internet as well and can't find a price anywhere near $199. Is it on sale at the stores, but not on the website?

Yup, only at stores one day last week.

_SHig