PDA

View Full Version : Swing a nymph with a Spey

DAVID95670
11-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Do many people swing nymphs with spey rods?

Or is it best to drift with a standard rod?

Rick J
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
are you swinging the nymph or dead drifting/high sticking it? If swinging - no difference between a nymph and a standard steelhead pattern in casting an swinging technique. If high sticking (I don't use indicators) I much prefer a single hand or maybe switch rod and standard single hand lines - this allows for much easier stack mending and line control - I find it awkward to stack mend and control a high stick situation with a long 2-hander

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
We see lots of folks swinging streamers on sink-tips with Switch rods for trout on larger trout streams.

Swinging nymphs with a Switch rod, like Caddis emergers, would be good too.

High stick indicator nymphing with lighter Switch rods and a full weight forward floating lines should work well too.

Lance Gray
11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I swing nymphs with my short spey on the Feather and Lower Sac. I use Prince Nymphs, Caddis immiatations and even an egg or a bead. It is not traditional but it works. I even place a small split shot close to the fly. About 14 inches or so, to get it down quicker.

Andrew Harris just wrote an article in this issue of CA Fly Fisher that talked about ity. Check it out.

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Mark Kranhold
11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I have had much success swinging a z- wing caddis , red squirell, birds nest and any buggy looking soft hackle on the A in size 10 and down. Mainly on the fall run steelies and our spring run blue backs. Once I got a 29" bright chrome steelie in April on a size 12 birds nest, not sure but I think it was a late winter fish.

Gene S
11-05-2011, 11:05 PM
My favorite method for trout is swinging traditional wets in combination with nymphs with a two hander. I usually use scandi heads with different sink rate poly leaders. Same goes for steelhead. In fact a lightweight spey rod used to swing for trout is just about as exiting as swinging for steelhead. IMO

Jeff Putnam
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I know this guy who went spey fishing on the Rogue (first time ever fishing for steelhead or spey fishing, Hi Greg!), the guide didnt want him to hook himself but wanted him to catch a small trout or steelhead smolt...long story short, in the middle of a sunny day he casts a size #12 hares ear nymph on a floating line and hooks a summer steelhead over 10lbs then hooks another around 8 lbs shortly after. WTF! I dont recommend such small flies but sometimes fish, including steelhead do. I go by the conditions... the more shallow and clearer the water, the more fishing pressure equals smaller flies. I swing nymphs #16-#8 for trout religiously and for steelhead I usually swing #10-#6 bugs. I like movement (so do the fish) so maybe try a soft hackle pt when swinging instead of a traditional pt but most important... think outside the fly box. I like to fish a larger fly and tow a smaller bug behind it when swinging. JP

BigKahuna
11-26-2011, 08:31 PM
My home river is the Lower Yuba and we use switch rods a lot when fishing from a drift boat. We fish with nymphs, eggs, streamers, soft hackles and believe it or not big terrestrial dries. The control that a switch rod gives you with the length and reach allows you to mend and control your drift with ease. Tight lining nymphs or steak and eggs with a switch rod is a lot of fun and productive.

You can fish drop offs and ledges when walk wading using high stick methods tight lining or under indicator. The added reach makes a big difference doing this too. When coming up to a tail out you can extend your leader and swing soft hackles and nymphs for fish staged there.

So the fact is a switch rod or light spey, up to 12'6", can be productive using trout tactics and flies, and yes nymphs.

Keep Switchin"
Clay Hash
http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com
http://www.flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com

Willowemac
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
If I get a grab with no hookup and the fish wasn't stuck, I often put on a nymph pattern with movement (like a rubber leg) and go back at the fish. This works consistently in Oregon and BC - so steelhead of all sizes. Last year, I was the third guy through a run in BC. The first 2 guys had no grabs. So I used a #6 pattern and got a 34" hen in the tailout to end the trip. I always bring nymphs when steelheading.