PDA

View Full Version : trinity sat/sun

donkeyhunter007
10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
finally got up to the trinity, weather was very nice. I was in the douglas city area. Didnt have any luck swinging flies. faired better nymphing. landed a couple half -pounders saw a couple more landed by other anglers. Hooked nice adult unfortunately my yarn indicator got stuck in the top eye. whoops ! he went on one more run and POW! fish off .i be beating myself up for that one for a while. I hooked one more nice fish. I had it on for about 15-20 minutes it wouldnt budge , just had to follow it around as it went on runs. it finally showed itself didnt jump just thrashed around on the surface. I thought it was done so i decided to put some pressure on it and try and bring it in when............. just came off I thought maybe bad knot, maybe 3x was to light but as i reeled in the leader was intact. I could see what i thought was flesh on the end of my fly maybe a piece of lip?......at closer inspection it was a TOOTH!! it was a first for me. check out the pics. Im thinking it might have been a salmon. It fought so hard maybe it just didnt like a hook through its tooth. will salmon takes nymphs? the fly in the picture was hot, saw a guy catch within five min then i switched up with the same results. Any fish biologists know how to tell a steelhead tooth from a salmon tooth????

PMD
11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
I spent Fri/Sat up there, fished Douglas and Junction areas with the only take from a half pounder on a glo-bug. What's that nymph called? We didn't do too well despite seeing plenty of fish. Not to mention tons of anglers.

huntindog
11-01-2011, 03:13 PM
everything about the story indicates you hooked into a salmon...it is likely that you flossed it...meaning the line just simply got swept through its mouth....a very large percentage of "fair caught" salmon are caught that way.

shawn kempkes
11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
everything about the story indicates you hooked into a salmon...it is likely that you flossed it...meaning the line just simply got swept through its mouth....a very large percentage of "fair caught" salmon are caught that way.

Don't start the flossing debate in here it could go several pages. LOL
But I agree it was probably flossed.

SHigSpeed
11-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't start the flossing debate in here it could go several pages. LOL
But I agree it was probably flossed.

I'm going to say NOT flossed. That tooth came from the end of the beak from the looks of it. Flossed fish get hooked further back in the mouth in general.

_SHig

pvsprme
11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I've had good luck on the T with a similar nymph, #12. Believe it was supposed to be a golden stone. I thought it was too yellow and darkened it up with a brown sharpie, black for the head. Hi-sticked.

BumpBailey
11-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Thinking about heading out on Sunday. Wife and kids are busy all day and I got the itch. A little road trip never hurt anyone right? Figure I leave at 4am I could fish for 6 hours and be home to kiss the kids good night. Might actually be worth it.

huntindog
11-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Thinking about heading out on Sunday. Wife and kids are busy all day and I got the itch. A little road trip never hurt anyone right? Figure I leave at 4am I could fish for 6 hours and be home to kiss the kids good night. Might actually be worth it.

you wouldnt get there until 7 am and by then all rocks are usually taken...you will need to bring your own...

NCL
11-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I fished the Trinity on Thursday, the water was low and clear. I didn't hook or see any fish other than a couple of spawned out salmon. It did seem like the crowd was thinner than the previous week but there are still people around. I was able to get the run I wanted to fish at 8:30 and I only saw two other guys and I fished till about 1:00.

Frank Pipgras
11-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Fished Thursday and Friday in the Junction City area and the fishing was very good but the water was skinny and with the rain on Saturday and today almost certainly some fresh fish will be moving into the Junction City area and into the upper river as well.

BumpBailey
11-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Well i made it up there and got about 8hrs on the water and left with that skunk smell. Oh well, couple hunderd casts closer to 1,000. Ran into a couple others and only saw two boats. Thought it was going to be busier.

Fished above the Steel Bridge campground back to the take out area. Saw a couple of big leapers a few salmon and lot of carcasses. Looked to be a hatch of some sort between the campground and the take out. Tried both nymphing and tried some streamers off of a sink tip. Going back up after Thanksgiving for two days so we will call this a re-con trip. So, all in all a long day but worth it. Oh yeah, and I was graced with the beauty of a Bald Eagle. God I love the Trinity.

Cal
11-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Fished the Trinity Wed thru Sunday, mainly in Junction City area. The water was skinny and clear, small amount of rain/snow did little to improve conditions except that there were fewer boats on Sunday.

Two guys swung traditional hairwing and feather wing streamers for 3 days and 2 half days and managed 1 20" wild buck, 2 28" bucks, one nice fish lost on a jump, one grab with a couple head shakes that did not hook up. Fished hard, o'dark hundred to dark every day. I think we got one for every 10,000 casts.

I think the Trinity needs a significant rainstorm to turn on.

Many of the old runs that have been good for swinging flies the last 10 years are currently filled in. The Trinity River Restoration Project has been dumping in prodigious amounts of gravel for the last few years and the effects are very noticeable. Some local guides I spoke with complained that they are losing a lot of fishable water.

Heavy buck caught on a version of the Purple Peril.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/brian_endlich/TrinityNov2011buckhead-1.jpg

Ben J
11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Fished the Trinity Saturday-Monday from Willow Creek to Big Bar. Strictly swinging, caught 2 nice adults on Saturday below Del Loma, blanked on adults on Sunday, and caught one very nice 30ish inch hen on Monday on the same run below Del Loma. I've always been skeptical that the Trinity actually has sea run browns, but caught one very bright brown with very few spots around Salyer, which is the lowest in the river i have ever caught a brown... I would say that swinging for steelhead on the Middle Trinity is very "traditional" in terms of the catch rate right now. Good luck everyone!

Rossflyguy
11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Nice fish. Is that a steelhead?