PDA

View Full Version : Redbluff Area

Rossflyguy
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Im headed up to redbluff for work and have sometime to try my luck. Can anyone suggest a good river near by and type of flies for this time of year. I haven't fished this area for about 12 yrs and need a little advice. Thanks.

Jed Peters
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I hear there's a little small river that runs right by red bluff that has a lot of fish in it?

LOL.

Google "Lower Sacramento River Trout"

Anyone at Kiene's (the owner of this board) should be able to give you guide recommendations, tackle and fly recommendations, etc.

NCL
10-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Your timing is good because the flows on the Lower Sac are dropping so it becomes more wader friendly. Talked with a couple of guys last week and they said caddis dry flied were working, so I would suggest Mercer's Missing Link.

Rossflyguy
10-22-2011, 10:28 AM
What are some good access points to get to the river that'a wad friendly?

aaron
10-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Get ahold of Lance Gray, he did a Cal FF article on all of the best spots to wade.
http://lancegrayandcompany.com/I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

amoeba
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
define "near by":

I know a number of places within 30 miles of Red Bluff with 15-30 trout per pool (nothing large, just lots of them), miles and miles of wadeable small water, that are hardly ever fished (or visited by humans at all), but it will take 2 hours driving, mostly on dirt roads, plus about 6 hours hiking through rough trail, to get there; and ~3 days plus to get out downstream. Also, how good are you at free-climbing? (20-30 foot sheer cliffs with backpack, fishing rod, and no rope, but good handholds?) Resistence to poison oak rash would be an asset, since you'll be hiking through that all the way. You should plan about a week, though. And don't count on cell phone service either, or satellite phone coverage (too tight a box canyon). And if you are thinking of getting rescued, forget that also (too deep in canyon for plane to see, no less helicopter to get close). Good bear viewing too - they love the poison oak berries (droppings everywhere) - and anything else that isn't inside a bear cannister or up in the air. In fact, they chewed up a couple empty bear cannisters - and they seem to like wading shoes as well. So just warning ya, in case . They're HUNGRY! Maybe bring a few bear biscuits. And keep your tent zipped up so they don't spread your blood all over the place. Yes, I'm talking California, near Red Bluff. Still interested?

If so, I have art, if someone can tell me how to reduce the JPG's size enough so I can post a few picks here.

It's amazing what fisheries can be like without us thumping them daily.

Tiger
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Ouch...Bob!

Rossflyguy
10-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks Amoeba,that was completely pointless. Back to reality and not a fictional movie.....

cyama
10-23-2011, 01:44 PM
There are no bears in Red Bluff. Lots of rattlesnakes and people with guns around Battle Creek.

Black Cloud
10-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Antelope Creek , East of Red Bluff. Amoeba is talking about reality.

loganmike
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Simple question. Inappropriate answer for the question. Typical response from the protist.

me

kelly
10-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Amoeba, way to make people feel welcome to ask "normal" questions. Wow!

JGB
10-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Why? What purpose? Do you feel better now?

Rfg - LSac is a good place to fish. Lots of spots to wade, particularly at these flows. Check The Fly Shop, they will have info for you -they used to have maps for waders that showed access points. Try Google Earth.

How much time do you have? Within an hours(+/-) drive there is a lot of easily accessable streams to fish. Again...check with TFS.

Good luck and have fun.

Ignore the flamers and the trollers, there are very few on this board - in fact amoeba's post is the first one I've seen in years here...congrats amoeba.

Rossflyguy
10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. It's ok with the negative comment, amoeba probably had someone crap in his granola that morning.

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
define "near by":

I know a number of places within 30 miles of Red Bluff with 15-30 trout per pool (nothing large, just lots of them), miles and miles of wadeable small water, that are hardly ever fished (or visited by humans at all), but it will take 2 hours driving, mostly on dirt roads, plus about 6 hours hiking through rough trail, to get there; and ~3 days plus to get out downstream. Also, how good are you at free-climbing? (20-30 foot sheer cliffs with backpack, fishing rod, and no rope, but good handholds?) Resistence to poison oak rash would be an asset, since you'll be hiking through that all the way. You should plan about a week, though. And don't count on cell phone service either, or satellite phone coverage (too tight a box canyon). And if you are thinking of getting rescued, forget that also (too deep in canyon for plane to see, no less helicopter to get close). Good bear viewing too - they love the poison oak berries (droppings everywhere) - and anything else that isn't inside a bear cannister or up in the air. In fact, they chewed up a couple empty bear cannisters - and they seem to like wading shoes as well. So just warning ya, in case . They're HUNGRY! Maybe bring a few bear biscuits. And keep your tent zipped up so they don't spread your blood all over the place. Yes, I'm talking California, near Red Bluff. Still interested?

If so, I have art, if someone can tell me how to reduce the JPG's size enough so I can post a few picks here.

It's amazing what fisheries can be like without us thumping them daily.

Ouch...Bob!

Thanks Amoeba,that was completely pointless. Back to reality and not a fictional movie.....

Simple question. Inappropriate answer for the question. Typical response from the protist.

me

Amoeba, way to make people feel welcome to ask "normal" questions. Wow!

Why? What purpose? Do you feel better now?

Rfg - LSac is a good place to fish. Lots of spots to wade, particularly at these flows. Check The Fly Shop, they will have info for you -they used to have maps for waders that showed access points. Try Google Earth.

How much time do you have? Within an hours(+/-) drive there is a lot of easily accessable streams to fish. Again...check with TFS.

Good luck and have fun.

Ignore the flamers and the trollers, there are very few on this board - in fact amoeba's post is the first one I've seen in years here...congrats amoeba.

Thanks everyone for the info. It's ok with the negative comment, amoeba probably had someone crap in his granola that morning.

Did somebody say Steelhead? Oh wait this is still the Trout Board. Sorry I thought I was in the right place.......

JGB
10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Woodman
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Ross,

My opinion only, but 7000 cfs is a little on the high side for wading the lower Sac, especially your first time (probably safer than amoeba's suggestion though). Difficult to access a lot fo good water. Doable, but be careful. Although from a drift boat nymphing is the number one choice of fishing methods, don't discount swinging flies or even streamers for lower Sac trout if you're wading.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/res_KES.html

If you've never fished the lower Sac, and you have a full day, hire a guide and do a float.

Give us a report on your adventures.

Rossflyguy
10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I went up to the sundial bridge. I was told it's been slow. I got nothing my my nymphing the riffs BUT a caddie hatch started to rise and so did the fish. I missed one and caught one 19" in 2.5 hrs. Didn't even have to climb a bluff face or wrestle bears. I'm pretty satisfied with today.

Woodman
10-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Right on...catching a fish on a dry fly is an honor on the Sac.

Rossflyguy
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
It definitely was awesome. Especially when the fish took off like a missle. Got me pretty pumped up. I haven't caught a dry fly fish in awhile vwish I could do this for a living.

Trent L.
10-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Once again... What is your real name Amoeba? You continue to be a snide heckling elitist on this board, and us lesser human beings want to know your real name since you demand respect and, especially, attention.

fishsticker78
10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, nobody has a sense of humor! Amoeba's quote is not far from the truth if anyone has ever ventured off the beaten path (Deer Creek, Battle Creek, Antelope Creek, Beegum, Cottonwood, etc., etc.) Anyway, I am happy to hear that Rossflyguy had an enjoyable experience at Sundial Bridge. BTW, there may not be bears roaming around downtown RB, but you better watch your back for big kitty cats.