PDA

View Full Version : MOW tips

Tiger
10-19-2011, 05:35 PM
What would be considered a type 3, 6 & 8 in the T-11 Mow tips?

Lance Gray
10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Tiger,

Mow tips are a hybrid of floating/sinking and full sinking tips. They're awesome tools.
Type 3
6-21881 10ft/3m Medium 2.5ft Floating w/ 7.5ft T-11 Green/Black
Type 6
6-21882 10ft/3m Medium 10ft T-11 Black/Green Sleeve
Type 8
6-21883 12ft/3.7m Medium 12.5ft T-11 Black/Green Sleeve

This is from the Rio website. I included the link below

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/tips/skagit-mow-tips

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Tiger
10-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks Lance.

Bryan Morgan
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Bruce, PM me and I will tell you where I have been sticking fish on a half and half. with a T-11

Grampa Spey
12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
As Lance has noted, the MOW Tips are in the awesome category.

I have a MOW T11 set for my ZA7110, ZA7136 and Death Star.

A lesson, I learned this past summer from one of Herb Burton's guides while Shad fishing on the Yuba has made my life easier.

The river was raging and I was casting my ZA7110 with a Skagit Flight basically from the bushes. The guide said the shad were hanging out at 2-4 feet deep. Any deeper you snagged the bottom. He suggested that I go with the 5' by 5' MOW. That put me into Shad all day and basically no tangles on the bottom or snags on veggie stuff on the bottom. I never lost a fly or broke a tippet all day.

Now basically only my T11 MOW Wallet goes with me, and my wallets filled with other sinking tips stay home collecting dust. My local river, the Napa is impacted with tidal flows. The MOWs make it easy to figure out how deep I want to go without snagging the bottom. Depending on the tides, I might use a 2.5, the 5.0, the 7/0 or the full 10 and in really high receding tides, the 12' full sinking T11 which came with the pack.

The same priniciple re the length of the sinking tip partapplies to local lake fishing.

shawn kempkes
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Tiger,

Mow tips are a hybrid of floating/sinking and full sinking tips. They're awesome tools.
Type 3
6-21881 10ft/3m Medium 2.5ft Floating w/ 7.5ft T-11 Green/Black
Type 6
6-21882 10ft/3m Medium 10ft T-11 Black/Green Sleeve
Type 8
6-21883 12ft/3.7m Medium 12.5ft T-11 Black/Green Sleeve

This is from the Rio website. I included the link below

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/tips/skagit-mow-tips

Lance Gray
530-517-2204
http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

The 5 ft float and 5 ft sink fishes like a type 3

and the 2.5 ft float 7.5 ft sink fises like a type 6

at least that has been my experience.

Rick J
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
If comparing MOWs to 15' type 3, 6 and 8 tips I think you can run into problems in the real world as short sections of fast sinking T material will really not respond the same as longer sections of slower sinking material - maybe under ideal conditions where you have a constant and even current flow but that is rarely the case

Ben Kobrin
12-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Could someone do a very quick overview of the difference between the MOW tips and the 10' Salmon/Steelhead Airflo Polyleaders? They seem similar in concept, but I can't get my mind around the difference in application. Thanks.

-Ben

shawn kempkes
12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Could someone do a very quick overview of the difference between the MOW tips and the 10' Salmon/Steelhead Airflo Polyleaders? They seem similar in concept, but I can't get my mind around the difference in application. Thanks.

-Ben

The poly leaders have a taper. T what ever or the mows a flat level line.

Terry Thomas
12-19-2011, 04:31 PM
True, all of the MOW's with "T" in them are level. However, the floating tip in each of the three sets is tapered.
Terry

trinity
12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
With a mow tip you will have a more dramatic hinge affect with the T material vs the poly leader or traditional sink tip. Theoretically, a mow tip of 2.5 feet of t14 will gain the same depth as a type 3, but only 2.5 feet of line will be submerged vs all 10 feet of poly or all 15 feet of type 3 being submerged. This will result in giving you more line control. I like the mow tips a lot for skagit casting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
We now have the very new Rio shorter 10' sink-tips.

They come in three sink rates:

Intermediate (clear slow sinking)

Type 3

Type 6

They come in sizes to balance with #5 through #9 Spey lines.

They were developed to go with the new Rio Scandi Short Versitip lines.

I don't think many know they exist....

Take a look at more info on Kiene's Spey Store:

http://speyshop.kiene.com/newriodc10sinktips.aspx

Many thought that 15 foot sink-tips were too long in some cases.

Gene S
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM

-Ben

MOW tips = Skagit driver, MOW tips, bigger/heavier flies.

Polyleaders = Scandi driver , polyleaders, smaller/lighter flies.

Some variations to the above....but in general it takes more mass to throw heavier flies. They will fish somewhat different.

troutless
12-20-2011, 01:17 AM

-Ben

1. Weight.

Polyleaders run 3-8 grains/ft (for the Airflo's I just weighed). The heaviest "extra super fast" polyleader is just nudging the lightest MOW tip (T-8 ). The MOW tips run up to 14 grains/foot. As has already been mentioned that means polyleaders for scandi lines (or very light skagit work) with smaller flies and MOW tips for skagit lines with big winter flies fished deep. Not that this is a hard rule if the tip density is sufficiently matched to the line.

2. Principle of operation.

Polyleaders control depth via density difference. MOW tips, within a weight class, control depth via different length ratios of sinking to floating material. For that reason MOW tips IMO are easier to maneuver in complex currents.

Bruce Slightom
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
My two cents worth on MOW Tips. One of the factors in the design of the tips is the ten foot length. With switch and shorter spey rods ease of casting is the goal. To obtain this a head + tip length of two to two and a half times the rod length is desirable. With fifteen foot heads you are in the range of three to three and a half times the rod length. Depending on the length of the rod. This makes casting harder as you have to move more line and you lose the mechanical advantage that is gained with the shorter tip length.
Mow tips are made of the fastest sinking material available and were meant to be fished with weighted flies. On a typical run the deepest portion and fastest is in the center or far bank. By casting straight across or slightly up stream and giving some slack to allow the tip and fly to sink to the deepest part before water tension starts to swing the fly upwards you fish the deep part and as the fly swings toward your bank you avoid hanging up on the dangle. This way you fish the entire run. They are not an end all but a great tool.

Bruce

Grampa Spey
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I, also, feel that the MOWs get down where I want them to be faster and as you note with more line control.

With a mow tip you will have a more dramatic hinge affect with the T material vs the poly leader or traditional sink tip. Theoretically, a mow tip of 2.5 feet of t14 will gain the same depth as a type 3, but only 2.5 feet of line will be submerged vs all 10 feet of poly or all 15 feet of type 3 being submerged. This will result in giving you more line control. I like the mow tips a lot for skagit casting.

Grampa Spey
12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Good insight Bruce, as to how the MOWs can help us.

#1My two cents worth on MOW Tips. One of the factors in the design of the tips is the ten foot length. With switch and shorter spey rods ease of casting is the goal. To obtain this a head + tip length of two to two and a half times the rod length is desirable. With fifteen foot heads you are in the range of three to three and a half times the rod length. Depending on the length of the rod. This makes casting harder as you have to move more line and you lose the mechanical advantage that is gained with the shorter tip length.

#2 Mow tips are made of the fastest sinking material available and were meant to be fished with weighted flies. On a typical run the deepest portion and fastest is in the center or far bank. By casting straight across or slightly up stream and giving some slack to allow the tip and fly to sink to the deepest part before water tension starts to swing the fly upwards you fish the deep part and as the fly swings toward your bank you avoid hanging up on the dangle. This way you fish the entire run. They are not an end all but a great tool.

Re #1: I have evolved or devolved into the shorter two handed rod hacker/guy. My MOW T11's as you noted are easy to cast with my Skagit Flights or Steve Godshall's SGS line, he sliced and diced for my Death Star. My Sage Switch ZA7110 or Sage ZA7136 work very well with the MOW 10' T11 tips and Skagit Flights. When I cast a lot with one of those 3 rods through out the day and the MOWs, I don't get fatigued as with 15' tips.

Re #2: My June Shad Fishing trip this year, on the Yuba this year, with Herb's guides was an excellent example of your insight. Our guide suggested using the 5' MOW. The water was fast and a lot of stuff was there to tangle with the flies. I caught fish shortly after the fly hit the water, during the cast and on the dangle. Before with other tips, I would be lucky to hook a shad on the dangle.

I fished all day with the same leader and fly. With my fly or leader not hanging up on its trip downstream on the dangle, I was fishing more and enjoying it more by avoiding the mental and physical downers of hanging up on my casts.

Bruce