PDA

View Full Version : Orick theater bill board

Bruce Slightom
10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
As I was driving thru Orick the other morning on my way to fish the Klamath I realized that I was slowing down to look at the bill board on the defunct movie theater in town. This is a force of habit form years of messages on the bill board. The property changed hands a few years ago and with that transaction a bright spot in another wise dreary town disappeared.

Whoever owned the theater would put messages on the bill board. Some were for real events like the Orick Rodeo, the Orick Long Board Classic or to honor a local for some achievement.

Most were on the whimsical side. Milli Vanilli Live! The Beatles, Pablo Neruda, John Denver Live, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton, the London Philharmonic, the Britney Spears Babysitting Tour and One Night in Paris Hilton all showed up on the bill board.
When friends traveled north they were always asked what was on the board. When the property changed hands the local paper did an editorial about the person who was responsible.
My all-time favorite was when I was fishing with two guys from out of the area. They wanted to get off the water early to get cleaned up so that they could go into town to sample some local entertainment. It took a bit of persuading to get them to understand that there was not a Orick Brewery featuring top less Go Go Dancers.

Larry S
10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Bruce:
We've passed by the place many times since we started fishing the Smith in the
late 1960's. Believe the theater was open in those days. Happy to report that the
Palms Cafe next door is still open for business - as of last Feb. Great breakfast
spot. Furniture hasn't changed much nor has the good food. The place was once owned
by Jack Rowland who also owned eateries in Crescent City and Hiouchi.
Orick was quite a gathering spot for steelheaders back then. Fishing can still be
good on occasion.
Thanks for the memory jog.
Best,
Larry S

Rick J
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
So - there are no go-go dancers? :>(

I thought we were stopping off there this weekend!

Dustin Revel
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
well if you're in arcata on a thursday i might know some dancers...