PDA

View Full Version : Rio Trout LT WF6F - liking it

luckydude
10-15-2011, 12:22 PM
In this thread:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24784&page=2

Terry Imai suggested I get this line for my brand spanking new (and now sadly busted, different story) 5wt 9' 4pc Sage Z-axis.

Much thanks to Terry, I'm loving that line. I've been using Rio Gold WF5F (and Wf4F on my 4wt rods) and it was fine, but this line is the cat's meow. I'm not sure if it is the 6 wt or the Trout LT style of line, but it's good for another 15 feet of reach for me and my crappy casting. I can easily place it accurately at 55-60 feet with my old Sage RPL.

Great stuff, thanks for the pointer. Any comments on replacing Rio Gold with that stuff?

[went off and googled and read for a bit, seems like if I put this on a 6wt rod it would be too light. So it sort of seems like Terry (and I) like the way the LT casts and are compensating for the lightness of the line by going up one weight. That about right?]

luckydude
10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Just got back from a few minutes of casting a big woolly bugger for bass with this line. It was 6wt line on an old Sage RPL 5wt.

Muy mucho better, I like. It's probably just the extra weight, not sure, but it works nicely.

aaron
10-16-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm out here on the Mo in Montana fishing that line exclusivity for my dry line. I've used the gold for years and loved it but I'm officially an LT convert.

luckydude
10-16-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm out here on the Mo in Montana fishing that line exclusivity for my dry line. I've used the gold for years and loved it but I'm officially an LT convert.

Do you run it one weight heavier than your rod wt?

What rod are you using?

aaron
10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Running it true to size on Sage One's and ZXL. Love the way it picks up and lays down.

Terry Imai
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Trying to determine how to match your fly line to rod is generally a "black magic" topic but many fly companies are doing a better job of informing their potential customers. Here are some links along with providing their line profile in the order of importance to me along with the line specs for a #6 line:

1) Rio Trout LT WF line (280 grains over 48' head length)
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/Trout-LT-WF

2) Rio Indicator line (350 grains over 65' head length)
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/RIO-Indicator

3) Rio Grand line (230 grains over 39' head length)
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/rio-grand

4) Rio Gold line (266 grains over 48' head length)
If you look at the profile of this line, almost all of the weight is at the front end.
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/trout/rio-gold

IMHO, if you're a beginning or average caster...I would recommend that you "line" up one weight with Rio Trout LT WF to fish moving water because it's basically a double taper line with no reverse taper. Not that I'm a great caster category, I also line up one weight with my Trout LT because when I line up allows the feeling that my rod is being "loaded" that an very good caster can get away with matching the appropriate with the same line weight. The other advantage of going up one weight is you can do a decent job with tossing moderate sized indicators and split shot fishing. The Trout LT WF is a great casting and fishing line with I feel the Gold allows you to cast a longer distance but it's not as good of a fishing line ie mending and controlling your line.

I also carry an extra spool with the Rio Indicator line just in case I'm throwing big indicators and lots of shot. That line is basically loaded in the front to throw big loops and able to turnover that hardware.

If I'm fishing stillwater, I use the Rio Grand because it allows me to cast the longest of all of the aforementioned lines but can still manage to handle small indicators and multi-fly rigs.

Best advice I was ever given especially the vast majority of fly line selection is to buy one fly rod that you really love and make intelligent choices of fly lines and reel spools to give you various choices depending upon the fishing. You can fish with one line and one rod but I know that if I bring an extra spool to where I'm fishing double my chances of catching fish.

Delta456
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
This line works great for brushy streams where you can't backcast or you need a low side-arm roll cast. Works even better if you use a 7.5 3x leader with a 5x tippet. I could never roll more than 30 feet plus a leader that puddled at end of line. This combo give me 40 feet with comfort and the leader turns over a 12 or 14 wooley with no problem.

Terry Imai
10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
The gentleman that owns Rio lines, Simon (don't remember his last name) has mentioned the Trout LT WF to be the BEST line for one handed spey casting. This flyline is a great line for dry fly fishing with difficult current lanes that require precise casting along with proper mending. IMO, the Gold and Grand are "chuck and duck" types of line while the Trout LT is a real gem in teaching someone the proper presentation techniques to become a good spring creek/tailwater fisherman. You can also use small indicators (if needed) along with swinging wet fly where line control is critical to your success.