PDA

View Full Version : Spey Reel Choice

Digger
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Bill,
I'm trying to decide on a reel for my Z-axis 13'6" two hander.
I have a couple Abels on my smaller rods that I absoultely treasure.

I'm considering a Nautilus NV 10/11 for this rod though, that is until I saw the Abel was coming out with their Spey and Switch line of reels for 2012.

Have you heard anything on them? Sizes, price, availbility, etc.

Or what would be your best suggestion today?

Thanks,
Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Digger

Way to many choices today.....

Tibor, Abel and Nautilus are all sweet but I like the old Hardy style click-n-pawl fly reels or as they sometimes call them......."ratchet reels".

http://speyshop.kiene.com/hardyflyreels.aspx

I like their sound when you hook a nice active Steelhead.

For Steelhead normally we don't need much drag.

Steelie-Stalker
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I was in the shop getting my first spey reel to match with my 13'1" ACR 7wt. and was looking at a galvan, your more typical modern reel with strong drag, vs. a hardy marquis salmon no.2. Bill convinced me into the Hardy, and I am 110% glad he did. Over 3 winters, I have only hooked 2 winter steelhead swinging flies and landed none, but for that take and that typical first cartwheeling run...nothing compares to the scream of that reel.

If I had to choose for you...Hardy all the way

Digger
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
OK, thank you both for the input.
I looked at your link, I'm wondering about extra spools.
Or do you just buy a 2nd reel?

This was in reference to the Cascadepedia. Are there spare spools for this model?

RSK
10-12-2011, 06:09 AM
The new Abel reels are "ratchet reels" and I think I might wait, if I could, to check one of those out to see how it sounds. The salmon is a great reel.

Digger
10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that's what I was tempted to do as well.
Hardy's have that great history and all, but Abels are made here and have a great reputation as well. Although you pay for that.

Terry Imai
10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
IMHO, nothing really beats the "Hardy" sounds when you have a nice fish taking line. Granted this reel is made overseas but it is just as good as my other Hardy reels. As a footnote, Sage had Hardy make them a reel line for a few years and they are still great trout reels. The Hardy click type reels rule for me!!!