PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake ?

gene goss
10-03-2011, 08:00 AM
With all that rain we had this year, Eagle Lake is only 11 inches higher then last year at this time...during the high water years i did a lot of fishing there, the grab, and the strong pull of a Eagle Lake trout will keep you coming back year after year....i think its time to get my Eagle Lake fix.
Eagle Lake info.
http://www.eaglelakefishing.net/index.php

Troutstalker55B
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Gene,

Val Aubrey's site it THE best info for Eagle Lake. That area did not get that much precip last year, plus there is the Bly Tunnel,though above water does leak and provide water for ranchers downstream of willow creek. My Dad and Val are deep in the fight to close the tunnel off for good - They are gaining strength! The upcoming weather will trigger the Eagle Lake rainbows into the fall gorge mode. Right now they are keying in on Chui Chub minnows. November is the best month. I hope to get up there soon but client trips at Lake Davis, and just free time at Davis is taking up my time. As always I will be there for the closure on Dec. 31st if mother nature will let me. Eagle Lake is my favorite still water on this big blue marble.

Jon.

loose_shoes
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I was up there shortly after Labor Day weekend. I just used the campgrounds. It was too hot and too early to fly-fish the shoreline. I hadn't been there for 2 years. I was shocked by how low the water level was. I had never see it that low. I know the tunnel is a big problem but we've had 2 good water years in a row - especially last year!. How could the precipitation have missed Eagle? I'd like to go up there again in November but I'm really concerned for that fishery.

There are a couple of groups that are doing work on behalf of Eagle Lake. I'm going to send a few bucks to this group.

http://www.eaglelakeguardians.org/

Troutstalker55B
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link Loose Shoes, that's Val's club and if you care for the Lake it's only 15$ to help the cause. The lake is 9 feet below the water levels of 98 right now - Scary low.

Jon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Eagle Lake Fishing Information
By Val and Randy Aubrey

http://www.eaglelakefishing.info/

OceanSunfish
10-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the link Loose Shoes, that's Val's club and if you care for the Lake it's only 15$ to help the cause. The lake is 9 feet below the water levels of 98 right now - Scary low.

Jon.

Whoa! I was fishing Eagle Lake in 1998 from my pram launching from the far end of the runway down in front of the homes. Back then, all I had to do was row a few times and I was fishing.

I did go back in 2001 and I didn't recognize the same area. I had to go outside the tules just to be in 9 feet of water.... The area I had fished in 1998 was 2 feet at best. It's nice to be able to fish 'inside' the tules for shelter from the NE wind that comes across the lake.

I know there were dry periods, but that lake had to have developed a "hole" in it for it to lose that much water so quickly.

Do you think over time with the current low water levels, the tules will expand further out into the lake providing new habitat?

Troutstalker55B
10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Do you think over time with the current low water levels, the tules will expand further out into the lake providing new habitat?

I don't think so, the tules would have already sprouted by now. Most all state agencies are for closing down the tunnel. It's in DFG's lap now. They want water in Willow creek to protect fish and waterfowl, but they are letting water flow freely from a lake that is in their heritage trout program. The Eagle Lake rainbow desrves better protection then that.

Jon.

catch&release
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Jon, I know in the past we talked about walking the shore line and stalking fish at eagle and davis. At eagle is it a long walk to get into the shrimp island area? I love the big points that come out in that area to fish.

Thanks for your help!

Ernie

catch&release
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Great link, just joined

Ernie

Jon.

Troutstalker55B
10-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Jon, I know in the past we talked about walking the shore line and stalking fish at eagle and davis. At eagle is it a long walk to get into the shrimp island area? I love the big points that come out in that area to fish.

Thanks for your help!

Ernie

It's about a 45 minute walk from the forest service road, Wildcat point can be just as good and you can drive right up to the water. The Circus Grounds is another good location to fish without too much walking to get to the water.

Jon.

catch&release
10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Jon, thanks for the information. I have fished that area of the lake very close to the shore from a boat and done very well. Wish the speed limit was 90mph so it would only take me about 6 hours to get there instead of 10 or 12 with a boat.

I had some great sight fishing at Crowley for awhile, long cast 50 to 70 feet with small perch patterns into 2 to 3 feet of water and just strip your fly at warp speed to trigger those fish feeding in the stickups on the small perch fry. These fish would straighten your arm out and try to take the rod out of your hand when they took the perch pattern. Fish from 18" to 23" flying out of the water when they are hooked. Very exciting and I would take 5 fish like that compared to 20 on the indicator but you have to fish the conditions that you get.

Thanks again,

Ernie

gene goss
10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Jon, thanks for the information. I have fished that area of the lake very close to the shore from a boat and done very well. Wish the speed limit was 90mph so it would only take me about 6 hours to get there instead of 10 or 12 with a boat.

I had some great sight fishing at Crowley for awhile, long cast 50 to 70 feet with small perch patterns into 2 to 3 feet of water and just strip your fly at warp speed to trigger those fish feeding in the stickups on the small perch fry. These fish would straighten your arm out and try to take the rod out of your hand when they took the perch pattern. Fish from 18" to 23" flying out of the water when they are hooked. Very exciting and I would take 5 fish like that compared to 20 on the indicator but you have to fish the conditions that you get.

Thanks again,

Ernie

I hear you Ernie.....if the conditions are there, i'll be stripping a fly in skinny water for that GRAB.

catch&release
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Jon,

Have you fished Eagle yet or is it too soon for you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Some go in October for some early action but most go in November with a few die hards braving December's cold.

Troutstalker55B
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Ernie,

I have yet to fish Eagle this fall, but my man T-Dog is out there all the time. Right now fish are bangin bait balls in the middle basin. He,s been catching them but the best is yet to come. Your gonna want a lead free tui chub pattern for the skinny water and a heavy one when fishing off in the boat or the tube. Of all the lakes on the planet, Eagle will always be known to me as "Holy Water"!

Bill is spot on with the best months, and he's right about brave souls in Dec. Last closure it was -10 degrees, freezing fog, and shore ice all around us. That's the coldest I've been ever while fishing. Brutal,..... but when you catch a few, you warm right up.

Jon.

thekid
10-09-2011, 05:19 PM
jon we gotta get in touch im ready to go! call me. Fishing has been really good in the local waters!

Troutstalker55B
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
JoeBob,

Things are good here as well, your dad would be so proud of me - Been fishing the dry at Davis in the skinny water and getting good results! Talk to ya soon - Jon.