PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake open's Oct. 1

gene goss
09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
The fall fishing at Pyramid Lake can be good at times, trolling a fly from your float tube, or casting a fly to the rocky points will work....you don't need to stand on a ladder and watch your bobber all day. A long handle boat net will help you landed those big cutthroat trout.
You need to keep a eye on the wind....be safe

jayclarkflyfishing
09-30-2011, 02:01 PM
But what if I like sitting in my chair watching my bobber go down all day?

Jay

catch&release
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice jay, very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice?

gene goss
10-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Jay

Hey Jay...Setting in a nice chair with a drink holder sure sounds good....but watching that little bobber would drive me crazy....i think the bobber fishing is great way to fish the flats during the spawning in the spring....but....in the fall the fish are more spread out chasing the bait fish (Cui-ui, tui chub, sacramento perch) around the rocky tufa shore, and points.
Have you been fishing Davis Lake....havn't seen any posts from you.

jayclarkflyfishing
10-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Gene-
I haven't been fishing much at all lately as I am swamped with school(I graduate in May) and guiding. I've been fishing Pyramid long enough to know where to find fish in the fall and yes bobbers work in all the areas you described. Maybe I'll see you there sometime this fall.

Ernie- Hope all is well and I hear you've been killing it at Crowley! See you at the big lake sometime.

Jay

catch&release
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
JAY, doing well thanks for asking.

Crowley Lake did fish very well for about a month and then shut down because of a bad algae bloom. My best two days up there were 55 fish with 25 of them between 18" to 23" and a 38 fish day with 19 fish between 18" to 23".

Whats great about these fish is that even if your fishing 18 feet of water they will still jump out of the water 4 to 7 times 3 feet in the air and you can hear there tails making noise in the air.

Havent fished in over a month, going thru withdrawls. Wanted to go up and fish Eagle again this year but schedule didnt work out.

Stick with your schooling and once you finish that you can guide all you want and have your education to fall back on if you need it.

Ernie

drumznfishes
10-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Very wise, sage Ernie. Hi guys:D

jayclarkflyfishing
10-08-2011, 06:43 AM
I got a call from a friend who lives at the lake and he has been killing it this week stripping flies through bait balls while fishing out of his float tube. Water temps have dropped from 70 down to mid 60's after the storm. I'm heading out there on Monday(no school) so I'll report what I find out.

Jay

EricW
10-08-2011, 08:35 AM

I think you are the bobber at that point ;)

Pyramid Lake Fisheries made a facebook page BTW
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pyramid-Lake-Fisheries/161889193870935

Well it looks like from the creel surveying most of the fish are being caught from Pelican Point north to Warriors. We had a few reports of a lot of tui chubs being caught in that area too. Well happy fishing folks!

I'll be out tomorrow kick-trolling oversized marabou damsels.

Morgan
10-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I need to get out bad! How has it been since the recent weather?

EricW
10-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Fished out the tip by warrior's point yesterday. Every beach seemed to have a couple vehicles or campers but far from crowded. Water was clear and 64deg with tons of chub. 6 of us total in tubes. I was late getting my act togethre and wasn't on the water until 9:30 or so. Other fellas had picked up a few fish by then but it slowed as everything went clear and calm. I only got 5 or 6 chub with a smaller fly. Went to bigger fly and didn't get anything else. Friends got 2 and 1. So it turned out to be a slow afternoon.

Some guys in an aluminum boat were able to keep up some action jigging very aggressively. Mid afternoon some baitballs were getting attacked on the surface :eek: Putting a fly through them didn't work for me. Some fellas that were camped said it was the slowest it had been for a couple days, previous days getting 5-10 each. Though I saw one smaller cutt near the shore, the vast majority of fish were caught in 15-30' of water a hundred yards from shore.

BTW, the creel station is doing a raffle for cash every month to encourage people to stop and report. They're open every weekend.

jayclarkflyfishing
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Fished the same area as Eric today and had a fun day. It rained pretty hard this morning, but the wind laid down after lunch making it bearable in the tube. Landed 6 cutts from 3 to 6 pounds and had two chub/trout doubles. Stripping a clouser was the hot ticket for me.

Jay

JD
10-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Fished the same area as Eric today and had a fun day. It rained pretty hard this morning, but the wind laid down after lunch making it bearable in the tube. Landed 6 cutts from 3 to 6 pounds and had two chub/trout doubles. Stripping a clouser was the hot ticket for me.

Jay

Jay,

What was the size/color of your clouser? Fished over the weekend from shore, and had miserable luck with more conventional patterns. I have never seen so much bait in one place though, so I'm not surprised the fish were ignoring flies in the shallows.

jayclarkflyfishing
10-12-2011, 07:36 PM
JD
The clouser was olive and white in a size 6. Fish were in water from 16-30'.

Jay

Morgan
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
anyone fish pyramid lately?