PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hair

Tom Burton
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I have a friend who is an elk hunter and has offered to get me some elk hair for my fly tying. He asked me what part of the elk had the best hair for tying elk hair caddis etc. I did not know!!!! Mine usually comes in a package from Kiene's. So does anyone have an idea which is the best part of the elk to get fly tying hair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darian
09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Since I don't use Elk Hair very often, I'm no expert. However, I have a piece of Elk hock that was given to me. It has the correct length, texture and color hair required for the EHC pattern. Beyond that, I would think that the body hair would come from the belly. If you have an opportunity to inspect the hide, you could make a better choice.... :cool:

ted1
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Grab some Body/Belly and tie up some bass bugs. Might just work, caribou works well for bugs.

Mike O
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
If he'll do it, have him bring you the whole hide...if it doesn't take too long to get it...then you can pick and choose

Jaybinder
10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
If he'll do it, have him bring you the whole hide...if it doesn't take too long to get it...then you can pick and choose

How many caddis could you tie with that much elk hair? You'd be set for life. I'll take a dozen.:mrgreen:

Troutstalker55B
10-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Fly shop in West Yellowstone has the best elk hair! I'm sure an email or call will help you with all your questions - It's THE only place I buy wild elk hair (some patches even come with the bullet hole!) http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/

Jon.