PDA

View Full Version : rod building/repair

JasonB
09-28-2011, 06:45 AM
I had the misfortune of having the butt end of my 3wt come off last night while tightening the threads on the reel seat. Nothing broke, just the glue job failed and the threaded metal butt slid off the rod itself. Seems like something that would clearly be repairable under warranty, but then I thought that it might just be faster/cheaper/easier to just re-glue it back together myself.

I figure that many of you folks here have built your own rods, or done similar types of basic repairs. Mostly curious about what types of adhesives you would use to glue the metal cap back onto the butt end of the rod. Unless I'm missing something this seems like it should be a pretty simple job,
I'd appreciate any advice that anyone has.
JB

SHigSpeed
09-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Two-part epoxy.

Piece of cake.

_SHig

Fly Guy Dave
09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
I've had the same thing happen before and I used Gorilla Glue, which sets up quick and holds like a champ. Just don't put too much on, as it expands a bit and you'll have to cut away the excess when it dries.

--F.G. Dave

Tom Burton
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Don't be afraid! Shig is right it is a piece of cake.

JasonB
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Don't be afraid! Shig is right it is a piece of cake.

Ha, ok I'll stop shaking in my boots as I look at my dismembered 3wt. I figured it couldn't be all that hard. I was damn near ready to break out the duct tape on it last night, before sanity regained itself.
Thanks for the confirmation that this is as simple as I had hoped...
Cheers, JB

BillB
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
When you apply the 2 part epoxy, as SHig says, do so on the inside of the tube. If you put it on the male part the glue will get all over the place. Also get an epoxy that will give you enough working time to properly line stuff up.

Darian
09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Good stuff so far. One thing you might keep in mind is that the original glue job probably failed as a result of failure to bond to the surfaces involved. That means those surfaces remained polished. Adhesives will make a better bond on a roughened surface.

Use a fine grade sand paper or steel wool on the rod butt and a fine tooth round file (don't have to do much) on the inside of the reel seat to make a better/lasting bond. 8)