PDA

View Full Version : Heenan Lake Report

martinusbear
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
My son tried Heenan Lake Saturday morning and I joined him Sunday morning. No action. There were 6 others anglers on the lake and they hadn’t hooked up either.

In the afternoon we moved onto the Carson. We had afternoon thunder showers both days we fished, especially the East Carson which fouled up with silt. My son hooked up a small rainbow on both the East and West Carson.

We had great time on the West Carson. We parked at a bridge crossing the river. Looking down from the bridge, we saw dozens of 8 to 9 inch trout in formation facing upstream. Three anglers were already below the bridge spinning for the trout. But the trout didn’t twitch an eyeball toward the spinners.

Movement down river caught my attention. A big brown bear was working his way upstream and fisherman had their backs to him. We gave them a heads up. One shouted at the bear, but the bear ignored him and kept coming while diligently scanning the river for some food. The spin fishers made hast to get up on the bridge.

Strangely for all the fish, I never saw the bear yank one out. When he went under the bridge, he kicked out plenty more trout including one that looked like a five-pounder. The bear continued upstream. Did he know a better spot?

My son decided to better the bear’s luck and got in the river at the bridge. I stayed up on the bridge to keep an eye out for the bear. I can’t scramble up the banks as fast as I used to. My son played that bridge for over two hours, trying every wet fly in his arsenal. He finally landed a small, but feisty, rainbow on a dry fly. That was all we needed to go home. We’ll be back in October

Scott V
09-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I have yet to see a good report from Hennan, I feel a lot better about getting my 2 on opening weekend.

RenoLipRipper
09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Same here Scott, on the opener Friday, got 4 to net, best I have ever done there, all other times caught a big zero.

Morgan
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
HOw is heenan now that its oct?

Morgan
10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
ANyone fishing Heenan lately?

markem8
10-26-2011, 08:47 AM
I fished one day each of the last 3 weekends at Heenan. Did best on the first trip with 9 cutts hooked and 5 landed. Got 4 the following weekend then only 2 last weekend. I was in a pontoon boat the first two trips and walked the bank last weekend. It has been a little slower for me than in the past at this time of year but still producing some fish.

Morgan
10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
are you tossing anything out of the ordinary? Ive fished out there 2x this season and have gotten zero's both times. I had a nice hit while reeling in my line the first time so i wasnt really ready for it.....nothing the second trip. Im headn out friday morn to fish it this week :)

markem8
10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
I have been getting fish on Black leeches, zug bugs, olive soft hackle.