PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis News Flash! The Fall Bite Is On!

Troutstalker55B
09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
After getting two good reports from my friend Pete, I headed up to the lake to find out for myself. It's been a while since I've taken my heeler Madison up for some fun. He loves this lake more than anything else (except beef), so without him knowing I loaded the truck up and we were gone. After the first cattle guard crossing he knew all to damn well where we were going! I fished the Cow Creek area and there was not a soul in sight, bliss silence, and not a puff of wind - Complete glass. I just walked the bank and looked for risers, and there was plenty of targets. The rainbows would be in pods and singles just cruising around in 3-8 feet of water down the shoreline. The surface water temps at 10am were 61.2 and by noon were at 65.5. Calibaetis mayflies #16 were present in both duns and spinners. Blood midge #14 were hatching as was a #18 tan midge.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/a8_1_1_1.jpg

I fished the dry today, a #14 blood midge emerger that floats well, yet sits flush in the film. I hooked 6 fish, and missed 2. It was fun fishing today, working to a single fish until you got a take. All my fish were clean today with lots of color ranging from 16-19". They are red hot torpedo's when hooked, blistering runs like days of old! I'm finding cleaner fish in the skinny water and fish with parasites out in deeper open water - ? From here on out till the lake ices over there will be some incredible fishing! Look for the peak to be around the last week of Oct. I hope many of you can get out and take advantage of the fall fishing here at Lake Davis - It's special.

Jon.

fj40
09-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for sharing info Jon. Was starting to worry about the place! Dave

FRSam
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
The water temps are definitely dropping. This past Monday the surface temp was 68 degrees, Tuesday the water temp was down to 65 degrees and Jon's water temp reading of 61.2 yesterday shows a very good trend.

The dinner bell is ringing and the trout are responding in the shallows with good healthy grabs and runs that I promise will put a smile on your face.

That blood midge of Jon's will put fish on - fat healthy trout on the surface at Davis is a real treat.

Pete

Troutstalker55B
09-23-2011, 05:35 PM
FRSam,

Colder mornings starting Sunday, 30-32 degrees. This is just what we want to really get those fish hungry! Let's hit it up next mid week.

Jon.

FRSam
09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Mid week sounds good Jon...let's do it.

Pete

Troutstalker55B
09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/moto55b/LakeDavis117_1_1.jpg

Fished the lake yesterday and today. Yesterday sucked, I got to the buckets in the same area as my last report. Fish began rising around 9:30am and the water temps were at 60.2. Then the east wind came up huge at 9:50. White caps in Fugowi, and the fish were gone. No grabs, just a big ole goose egg. Today was much better, fish came in around the same time, the little tan midge was out, and a few blood midge. Water temps ran the same and only one boat out. The hatches were light, nothing like last Thursday. Hooked two rainbows 16-17” on a brown midge pupa #14. Then there were some opportunities to skinny water feeders in the 3-2 foot range, the blood midge emerger pictured above picked up 4 fish landing two, I missed two fish and one was very large. Only fished two hours until I hooked Madison’s ear on a back cast and that put a damper on the party. Got the fly out but still a chore even being barbless. Look for fishing to get better on a daily basis from here on out – Good Stuff!

Fly Guy Dave
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Have you got a recipe for that blood midge pattern? A link to a website, perhaps? That's a nice looking and very effective-sounding pattern.

--F.G. Dave

Troutstalker55B
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Dave;

Hook: TMC 2457 #14-16.
Shuck: Jay Fairs mohair in burnt orange.
Body: red or (if you can find it) Burnt orange foam.
Rib: Tan 6/0 thread doubled in a dubbing loop and spun.
Parachute post: White closed cell foam.
Hackle: Burnt orange furnace dry fly hackle oversized.
Head: Tan 6/0 thread.

I use the heavier hook, these fish like to straighten out a light wire hook all day long. Use powders to prolong your float. Don't just blind cast, look for targets that are reachable and within means. Good luck!

Jon.

Scott V
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Dave;

Hook: TMC 2457 #14-16.
Shuck: Jay Fairs mohair in burnt orange.
Body: red or (if you can find it) Burnt orange foam.
Rib: Tan 6/0 thread doubled in a dubbing loop and spun.
Parachute post: White closed cell foam.
Hackle: Burnt orange furnace dry fly hackle oversized.
Head: Tan 6/0 thread.

I use the heavier hook, these fish like to straighten out a light wire hook all day long. Use powders to prolong your float. Don't just blind cast, look for targets that are reachable and within means. Good luck!

Jon.

Gotta love a guide that posts accurate reports and even puts up the receipe for a fly that is working. Your a good man Jon.

Troutstalker55B
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Gotta love a guide that posts accurate reports and even puts up the receipe for a fly that is working. Your a good man Jon.

Thanks Scott, sharing is caring - This is the best game in trout town!

Jon.

Fly Guy Dave
09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey Jon, thanks for the recipe, you ROCK! I echo the sentiments of Scott V.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave

gene goss
09-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Jon has always been generous with his info. about Davis Lake on this board, and out on the lake.....Thanks Jon

Twice i had the boat and car ready to head up to Davis Lake this week...but...had to cancel. i'm planning on coming up after the storm this weekend and i will be staying for a week or two....looking forward to hooking up with you... how are the snails doings????

The Duck hunters like Davis Lake, its best to sleep in and let the hunters have the bays and coves, most hunters will take a break around 10am.....so be safe when your sitting in your float tub or walkig the shore.

Scott V
09-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks Scott, sharing is caring - This is the best game in trout town!

Jon.

Jon,
I hope to be up there next weekend. I gotta go get some goooollllllddddddddd this weekend. :D

gene goss
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know if Grasshopper flat or Grizzly campgrounds are open????

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks Jon

Great info.....

October is usually good almost everywhere.

Troutstalker55B
09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Gene,

I have yet to see a snail, the fish have switched over to crawdads 1" - 1.5 inches long as recent stomach samples have shown. Lighting Tree and J&J's Grizzly store are the only places to camp, and forget about rough camping on the west side - Serious logging goin on.

Thanks Bill, fall fishing is simply the best!

Today's report; Today was a carbon copy of last Thursday(the 1st report). Water temps at 9am were 63 degrees, the little tan midge was out mixed with blood midge. Fished the skinny water again with the dry blood midge emerger, hooked 6, landed 5, missed two (those hurt so bad!). The switched turned off at 11:20 and the sight/rising game was done. You guys, the fish I'm catching are real athletes! Lighting bolt runs, and these fish are colorful and clean. I'm curious as to how the fish look to those anglers fishing deeper water with indicators? Are they finding parasites on those open water fish?

Today was so good!

Jon.

Troutstalker55B
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
4th day in row, I’m tired. Same as yesterday, fish began rising and coming into the shallow water at 9:30am. Water temps were at 61.7 then and when I left at 12pm they were 65.2. Had some company today, FRSam was out, and two tubers. Everybody was into fish and all fish were clean, colorful, and athletes. The fish have finally got some girth to them and they are battling hard. Fished the blood midge emerger dry again, 7 hooked, 5 landed, missed 2. Fish ran 16-20 inches. I’m so pleased, what a great time! I’m going to take a little break and fish after these rain storms come through. Let you all know what the current conditions are then.

Jon.

FRSam
09-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Had a great day out at the lake today... no wind...fish working flat shallow water...plenty of willing targets...no parasites...and healthy hot and athletic rainbows. No need for a boat, pram or tube the shore fishing with old Woodrow by my side was the way to go. And it's always nice to run into old friends while out - refering here to Jon and the old trout dog Madi.

The fish are on the grab but you have to hit them on the head, just fishing the water didn't produce for me. I'd have to give the hot fly this time out to Jon's blood midge cripple, shown above, as he fished the same water I'd been working earlier and within a five minute period he was into two nice fish. I'd heard old Madi barking, which means fish on for Jon, quite a bit before we hooked up today so I knew Jon was having another good day.

Here are a couple of pictures from todays outing...

Another beautiful day at Lake Davis

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00643.jpg

Jon & Madi Fish On

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00646.jpg

And my old faithful Woody keeping an eye on my rod.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/Fishing/DSC00650.jpg

As Bill said this is a great time to be out on the water and if you hit Davis I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Pete