PDA

View Full Version : Sage "Z-Axis" fly rods at close out prices right now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2011, 08:00 AM
We have one of the new but discontinued Sage Z-Axis fly rods left.

This is a chance to buy a new top end Sage fly rod at a great price.

It is in a new in the factory tube with cloth sack and lifetime warranty.

GFL 1090-4 = 9' #10 - 4pc

Last one.....50% off for message board folks.

Was $715 now $357.50

These are killer rods.......come in or call us on our USA toll free phone.

1-800-400-0359

We are open 7 days a week and can ship them anywhere in the USA.

JAWallace
09-24-2011, 10:13 AM
These are all over ebay now and Bill's price is very favorable. I have a 690-4 Z-Axis and it is one sweet rod. I'm thinking about picking up another from him.

luckydude
09-24-2011, 05:39 PM
590-4 ordered, thanks Bill.

Terry Imai
09-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I have a few Z-Axis rods and I have a hard time believing how Sage can improve that rod (haven't casted the new one) but I would advise LuckyDude to not use the Rio Grand or Gold for your ordered 5# in the 9'. IMO, the best line to use on that rod is the Rio Trout LT weight forward for a six weight. I just got off Lewiston yesterday fishing for snotty trout sipping midges. I was using a Rio indicator line (very heavy front end to turnover indicators) when the midge emerger hatch started up. I tried a few cast with the indicator line four feet ahead of the fish but the water disturbance from that line (and most likely with the Gold and Grand) made the fish scatter like quail. I switched over to my Rio Trout LT (it's built like a double taper for a nice presentation) and could make nice presentation. The six weight line will properly load your new rod.

Good luck with your purchase...

luckydude
09-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Bummer, I wish I had known that, I would have gotten a 4wt and run 5wt line in it. I did ask but the shop didn't have a 4wt.

I rarely get into those 24" browns (like never so far) so I mostly fish 4wt, more pleasant to cast, more fun when you get a fish on.

If it were you, would you go 4wt? I already have a St Croix Legend Ultra in 8'6" 4wt, I know it's not as nice as the Z-axis but it's a pretty decent rod. I was looking for something I could use when lake fishing, that would punch it a little further. But not a 6wt.

Terry Imai
09-26-2011, 12:20 AM
My first graphite rod was a 5# loaded with a WF 6# and I caught a ton of fish with that setup. Then I heard the murmurs of "go lighter" and bought a few 3 and 4# rods to be used everywhere for trout fishing. After several years of attempting to use these 3 and 4# for all of my trout fishing and almost throwing out my arm with trying to cast a few extra feet, a light bulb finally went off that help get me onto the right track. Don't get too hooked into what weight of rod you're going to fish with because you get restricted very quickly. If I had only one rod to do all of my trout fishing, I would use a moderately fast action 5# with a 6# WF. HOWEVER, since I don't fish with one rod; I attempt to match my rod to the fishing conditions. When fishing stillwater, I almost always use a 6# floater and carry a 7# (with a sinking or slime line) due to distance is critical along windy conditions. Most stillwaters are not too clear and you can fish using 4x tippets. Most river and large streams can be used with a 5# (you can still use a 6# rod) with a 6# WF (like Rio Trout LT, Grand or Gold) where I'm tossing multi nymphs with shot and a possible indicator (yep, I do use a bobber at times...). I also carry a slower action 4# setup for dry fly fishing with either a double taper or that Rio Trout LT (in the WF....I'm really sold on that line).

The main thing I'm trying to say is don't get locked into saying "I only fish a four weight" because it doesn't hurt to carry a few extra "arrows" in your quiver...

Good luck on your new purchase...

Tony Buzolich
09-26-2011, 06:56 AM
A couple of years ago we were fly fishing for Mako's out of San Diego with Dave Trimble using 12w. and 14w. rods. During a slack period Dave got out a 5 weight and said let's catch some mackeral for more bait. After having some fun doing this a blue shark came in and took the fly on the 5w. I was using. This turned out to be GREAT fun and I did get it in. Thankfully it was only a small blue.

My point is, I was quite suprised with what you can do with a small rod. I don't think I'd target sharks with a 5 weight, but it can be done.
TONY

JAWallace
09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Agree with using the 6 wt. on most stillwaters, especially if you're targeting 18"+ trout and if the conditions can get windy (like Crowley). Just returned from a High Sierra trip and used a 4 wt. and could have used my 1 wt. given the size and fight of the fish and thankfully no wind. At least a newbie learned how to fly fish and got a few to hand. He was thrilled, and I was dreaming of McGee Bay.

luckydude
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Got my 590-4 today.

First impressions, not so much. The loops were way too big, WTF?

I took out my old Sage RPL - maybe 20 years old - liked it better.

Or did I?

First plus for the Z-Axis, much lighter swing weight. Casting it feels like I'm casting a 4wt compared to the old sage or a modern St Croix.

Second plus, I learned the rod. Holy crap, you just barely flick it and it loads up and casts a nice tight loop. I had to do it over and over to believe it wasn't a fluke.

My problem was that I was used to having to put a ton of effort into the cast - do that with the Z-axis and you'll make big loops. Ease off. Flick. Nice tight loops.

I like this rod, it's definitely an upgrade from the old RPL sage. I still need to learn how to cast it far. More than 50 or 60 feet and I was back to making the big loops, so I'm doing it wrong. I need some lessons. But the rod is better than me.

Thanks to Bill's fly shop, having fun.

Terry Imai
09-27-2011, 11:37 PM
It's amazing how someone can examine your cast over the internet without even seeing it!!! You'll be really amazed when I perform open heart surgery with my high speed connection.

This is your mantra: "Tight loops means I'm doing some correct, big loops means I'm doing some wrong"

You indicated that when you had some fly line extended out a bit, you were throwing some nice loops. To make a Wild Ass Guess, I would bet that you had probably casting around 25-35' of fly line. Am I correct? If so, that means you were properly loading your rod with minimal effort and controlling your casting stroke (think between 10:00-2:00). When you decided to add a few more fly line in the air to increase your distance and all of sudden, your casts go all to hell with a loop so wide that a truck could go through it.

Every rod (and caster) has a maximum "load point" of how much line that it can support in the air along with maintaining loop control. When you added that extra 5-10', your rod (or you) are not capable of maintaining that much line and your cast got haywire. Bring back that excess line to your previous sweet spot as your "maximum" point of your fly line that you can make your final false cast point. Many current fly lines (Rio) mark the first 30' with one color and has a color change after that point. You can use a permanent ink Sharpie to mark your "sweet spot".

Remember, you had an different thread where we go into waterhauls and double hauls?? Those are some of the tricks you need to learn to maximize your casting distance.

luckydude
09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
You're right, though I'm not quite as lame as you might think. I'm good to about 40 feet and after then it all goes south. How people cast 100 feet is beyond me.

I am water/single hauling (I think). When I pick up the line and on each backcast, I pull in some line to load the rod more, pretty much have to do that at 40 feet or it doesn't work. Isn't that single hauling or do I have that all wrong?

Terry Imai
09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
LuckyDude,

IMO, almost 99% on the BB are trying to help the newbies. It's tough when you don't have a mentor to be at your side to work out the details. In the other posts (regarding water and double hauls); the main gist was being an effective caster. If you watch most flycasters (over 80%) work a piece of water, you'll see them make five-eight false casts when paying out enough fly line to the load point (ie sweet spot). All of this false casting will put down the fish.

Learning a water haul along with double haul allows you the opportunity to pick up your flyline; make a change of direction (back to the upstream); and throw in a double haul. Bottom line is if you learn these casting tips, you will only need to make at most one false cast to shoot out to your maximum distance.

There are a few people that poopaw learning a water and double haul for lighter rods but I believe you can use these casting tips for all types of casting conditions.

luckydude
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Hmm. Reading this:

http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-tips-and-tricks/haul-casting

makes me think what they describe as a double haul is exactly what I've been doing for years. As you start your back cast you strip in some line to load the rod more. As I get to the 40 feet of line out range if I don't do that it won't work at all.

So I'm a little confused as to what the trick is to get up to the 50-100 feet level, is that possible with a 5wt WF line?

luckydude
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Crap, I'm wrong, I do the haul on the back cast only, haven't figured out how to do it on the forward cast. So maybe that's it.

I need to just go fish, this shit is too hard :)

Terry Imai
09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Because fly fishing is such a technical activity, you do get into the "forrest because of the trees" mindset. If you cannot get someone to provide some private lesson (#1 option by a huge amount), Mel Kreiger (sp?) did a video called "The Essence of Casting" which is probably the best video on casting.

Every spring, I take a few lessons with Jeff Putnum to work out the winter bad habits because fly fishing is dependent upon our own ability to cast.

Best regards...

goby
09-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Because fly fishing is such a technical activity, you do get into the "forrest because of the trees" mindset. If you cannot get someone to provide some private lesson (#1 option by a huge amount), Mel Kreiger (sp?) did a video called "The Essence of Casting" which is probably the best video on casting.

Every spring, I take a few lessons with Jeff Putnum to work out the winter bad habits because fly fishing is dependent upon our own ability to cast.

Best regards...

And Doug Swisher's tapes from the 80's are amazing.

sawsdoc
10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=Tony Buzolich;105482]A couple of years ago we were fly fishing for Mako's out of San Diego with Dave Trimble using 12w. and 14w. rods. During a slack period Dave got out a 5 weight and said let's catch some mackeral for more bait. After having some fun doing this a blue shark came in and took the fly on the 5w. I was using. This turned out to be GREAT fun and I

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-07-2011, 05:40 PM
If you ever wanted a really nice new high quality fly rod with a lifetime warranty, this is your chance.

luckydude
10-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Well this is a bummer. I was out comparing my 20 year old Loomis 6wt against the 590-4 Z-axis I bought from Kiene's.

First, the Sage casts lighter, but for me, not further. I was surprised, that Loomis (which I used to fish with 5wt) really likes the 6wt WF line (that another member suggested I get when I got the Zaxis; good suggestion, I like that line). I was surprised that the Loomis held up so well, I guess I'm keeping that rod.

Second, I was threading up the Sage, grabbed the line, and pulled, and snap goes the tip. I'm pretty surprised, are these rods known to be delicate or did I just get a weak one? I haven't even fished this rod yet, it's only been cast in my pasture.

Finally, do I send this to Sage or Bill's? And do I need the recent (no idea where that is, I'll look though).

JAWallace
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I would talk to Bill first. He can help you with the warranty work.

I had the same thing with a Sage that was either 9'6" or 10' and after having it fixed twice Sage finally admitted it was a problem. I traded it for a 9' and of my 6-8 Sage rods that's the only one that's ever presented a problem. Well--until I broke Bill's #8 in Alaska;-) I learned never to grab the rod above the cork and Bill was real nice about it too.

Ed Wahl
10-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Luckydude, I think I see what you're getting at with the longer casts. For casts that are longer than 30 ft or so you need to pull the extra line off the reel and just let it hang at your feet. (This is for practice casting in your pasture.) Work out your 30ft, haul on your backcast and let some more slip out, only a few feet max, then haul on your forward cast and just let go of the line letting it all just "shoot" through the guides. You'll be shocked at how little effort goes into an 80ft cast.

All the long casts involve shooting the line out, you're rod can only handle so much line in the air at one time.

It does take practice, but it will come to you.

Ed

luckydude
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm good for about 50-60 feet out on false casts with a nice rod and nice line.

I do shoot line out on the forward cast, I do that routinely when I've got maybe 40-45 feet of line in the air.

But here's the the prob. Casting in the pasture with no leader and no fly is one thing, casting in real life with a big ass hopper and a 12 foot leader is another thing. I find that it is hard to get things to turn over at that length.

I will say, I'm loving that 6wt Rio LT. My kid was with me with a spinning reel (mine, so not junk) and he was casting a half ounce jig with a plastic worm on it. I was flipping a big woolly bugger out almost as far as he could cast that big hunk of metal. Love that line.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I am lowering them all to $399 for the message board gang.

Got the new rods for 2012 coming in all the time now so need to make room on the rod rack for them.

Ed Wahl
10-15-2011, 07:56 PM
It should turn over exactly the same at any distance. Do the hauls, and shoot a ton of line on your final cast. Keep the mechanics the same, you don't need any more effort for 80 feet than you do for 40.

It sounds like you're trying to carry too much line in the air. You want to load the rod and that's it. I believe rod wts are based on carrying 30 ft in the air. The line will carry the other 40ft out if you let it and it will turn over quite nicely.

You're on the right track, but I'd do a bit of reading or fish with someone who's proficient at shooting line out like you want.

If you find yourself up this way give me a shout, I'd be happy to show you.

Ed

Oh, one more thing. Don't cast without a fly or small piece of yarn on the end of your leader, that's a recipe for destroying the end of your line.

k9mark
10-15-2011, 11:36 PM
What are the chances of getting another 590, 4pc?

luckydude
10-16-2011, 08:17 AM
What are the chances of getting another 590, 4pc?

Any interest in mine? I have to send it to Sage or Kiene's to get it fixed.

Darian
10-16-2011, 09:19 AM
LuckyDude,.... Did I understand your last post correctly :question: You're casting on dry land without a leader or fly (yarn) attached to your line :question::confused:

Aside from the potential damage to the end of your line that this might do, it probably contributes to part of your casting problems. Try attaching an 8' or 9' piece of mono with a fly (hook point cut off) or a piece of egg yarn tied to the end and try it. :nod:

That'll make the practice closer to realistic situation and help your casts. 8-)

If I didn't understand what you posted, just disregard this note. :-\"

luckydude
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
LuckyDude,.... Did I understand your last post correctly :question: You're casting on dry land without a leader or fly (yarn) attached to your line :question::confused:

When I get a new line I tend to go try it with different rods to see how it feels, and yeah, I'm usually too lazy to tie on a leader. I'm not worried about the end of the line, I'm going to cut off that loop and do a nail knot anyways.

What I was trying to point out is that it's a lot easier to get a line to turn over than a long knotless leader with a hopper.

Whatever, I'm loving the Rio LT, it casts nicely even with a big ass wooly bugger on it.

GA_Boy
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Heard rumors that the switch and spey Z Axis rods are being discontinued this year as well.

Any truth to that???

-Alex

k9mark
10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
any interest in mine? I have to send it to sage or kiene's to get it fixed.

pm me please

k9mark
10-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, Gents, I was able to go on ebay and latch onto a Z axis 590-4 5wt for $320! I thought it was going to be around $384, but fortune smiled on me. Can't wait to get my hands on that baby.

TaylerW
10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
will sell z axis 7100 for 325