PDA

View Full Version : Lamson LP clutch repair?

luckydude
09-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Hey,

I've heard on the intertubes that the clutches in the old LP's eventually die. Since I like those reels and have several I'm wondering what it is like to repair them. I know Bill will do it but I've got a lathe and a mill, seems like a chance to use them.

Anyone ever taken the clutch apart?

Or does anyone have a broken one that I can try and fix?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I think that Bill Archuleta of Archuleta's Reel Works can fix the clutches?

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/

If I remember correctly when the originator, Lamson Reels in Oregon, was first making the LP series they actually jobbed out the production of the little clutch assemblies to another machine shop.

They had a run of new clutches that were all bad once and had to recall / replace all of them with a new better run of them.

I only know this stuff because I was involved in all this fly fishing stuff for the past 40 plus years on a daily basis.

I still have some new old LP clutches but they are about $500 now......(just kidden).

Lamson would send us those discs and so if someone came in with one that had gone bad we would replace it on the spot.

Lamson Reels had three different owners so far:

1) The originators
2)then they sold to Sage and they had them for a while.
3)then I think the originators got it back for a while
4)Then the new guys bought it, Waterworks.

I hear that Waterworks no longer has parts or service for those old reels.

**The other problem they had with the LP series was that the drag fiber pad that was under the metal drag disc would come unglued from the frame and the drag would fail.

luckydude
09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I still have some new old LP clutches but they are about $500 now......(just kidden).

I'd love to buy one off of you to have a spare.

I'm also curious as to what a new one sounds like, I've got several Lamson's at this point (2 LP 1, 2 LP 1.5, and a LP 2) and some of them are close to silent on the retrieve (subtle click) and some are noisy. Do the clutches vary or does the noise indicate the level of wear? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
There were different generations (runs) of clutches and they physically look different too.

I have 6 new ones and they are $25.00 each, but only one to a customer.