PDA

View Full Version : Surfperch Survey

k.hanley
09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I have been asked by Steven to be a part of this research project conducted in the coming months.........

Dr. Steven Morgan from UC Davis/Bodega Marine Lab and Dr. Karina Nielsen from SSU will survey surfperch at Salmon Creek, Drakes and Limantour beaches this fall as part of the process of evaluating the effectiveness of the recently established network of marine protected areas along our coast. Both fly and bait fishing will be conducted inside and outside the MPAs..........

I'll try to keep you posted on the project.
Cheers, Ken

jersey
10-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Ken,

Was introduced to Surf perch last week by Lee S on the Marin coast. It was a great time. Can you please shed some insight on the most practical rod length and weight?

Thanks,
Jersey

k.hanley
10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Say hey Jersey,
Welcome to the suds show.

I usually work with an 7-weight or 8-weight outfit (integrated sinking lines 250 or 350 gr. RIO Striper DC version). Depends on the time of year and water conditions. You can certainly fish a lighter rod if you want to go that route.

I also enjoy working with a more traditional shooting head setup...rigged with T-11 and intermediate running line. It can be handled on either of my rod choices.

I use my tackle to address the habitat conditions first (wind, swell, surge, current, etc). The type of flies being delivered are another concern. The last thing I consider for an outfit choice is the gamefish species in our surfline. If you can't handle the habitat conditions and foodchain, then it won't even matter what type gamefish you are trying to catch. You need to be able to deliver the goods with some modicum of control and contact.

Pick up a copy of my book "Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore" and there will be a lot of solid info you can build upon.

This is all "just my opinion" (built on decades of field quests and too many client/students to remember). Other surfers might have a different take on the subject. It's all good.

Cheers, Ken

jersey
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Ken. Hope to meet you helping Dr. Morgan and his research.

Most appreciated!

k.hanley
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Two thumbs up!
Cheers, K

jersey
10-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Ken,

Picked up your book Surf Zone and tied a few of the surfpercher reds. Hit Salmon Creek for the sunrise.

Picked up two smaller ones at about 730am. Feeling a school was just in front of me, I got fired up. Couple false casts and bingo, Gull on.

Hit him about 40 feet in front of me and he set the hook. After dragging this poor bird through the surf and onto the sand, I marched down with my nippers and hemo's for the release. Did anyone know gulls don't like it when you try to pick em up? Anyway, many pecks and flesh-tearing attempts later, the bird was released safely.

A special thank you to the boogie boarding guy 10 feet from me watching this all go down. His morning yoga routine was not gonna be disturbed trying to help release this bird. Thanks for nothing...

Ken, your pattern works!! in the water and in the air too.

k.hanley
10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Say hey Jersey,
I wish I could claim the Surfpercher Red as one my patterns, but that is a design from John Shewey (outstanding fly fisher living in Oregon). Shew and I spent many an adventure in the surf experimenting with fly designs. We enjoyed epic outings. The Surfpercher Red is still one of my all time favorites hands down. It flat out gets fish. Easy to tie. Easy to cast. Easy to control the weight of the pattern. We also often used a version that had a gold body braid instead of red. Both versions brought big smiles!

Sounds like you're finding out just what a wild place it is to sling a fly. Stay safe out there.
Cheers, Ken

lee s.
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/IMG_0484.jpg

Wait till you see the salmon smile......

You da man Ken! ;-)

k.hanley
10-04-2011, 06:34 AM
That's one of the most realistic perch streamers I've ever seen you tie Lee. Looks just like a young perch!

Yup the smile is the deal. Pass along a big howdy and hug to Sue.
Cheers, K

EricW
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Not sure it's related but I got a call last week with a followup mailer yesterday from NOAA about CA marine fishing. They're (CIC for NOAA?) doing a study on economic benefit of recreational marine fishing. Wanted details on my last coast trip in August (my first surf perch catches). It was all pretty innocent until they asked for expenses spent on fishing :shock::shock:8) I hope they're good with privacy because I don't think the significant other has a true scale on the numbers!