PDA

View Full Version : Surfperch Survey

k.hanley
09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I have been asked by Steven to be a part of this research project conducted in the coming months.........

Dr. Steven Morgan from UC Davis/Bodega Marine Lab and Dr. Karina Nielsen from SSU will survey surfperch at Salmon Creek, Drakes and Limantour beaches this fall as part of the process of evaluating the effectiveness of the recently established network of marine protected areas along our coast. Both fly and bait fishing will be conducted inside and outside the MPAs..........

I'll try to keep you posted on the project.
Cheers, Ken

Scott V
09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
If you want company at any of those locations, especially Limantour drop me a line and I will assist in the survey. I am always willing to help out in fishing surveys if it means I need to fish.:D

Darian
09-19-2011, 12:45 PM
OK,.... I'm confused (not an unusual condition lately.... :confused: ). Apparently, the MPA's in those areas mentioned allow human intervention. I was under the impression that human activities were banned there, with the exception of those permitted by the F&G Commission for specific purposes. If that's the case, survey fishing is one of the permitted activities, correct :?: :?:

What are they surveying for; populations, condition of the fish, etc. :?: :?:

k.hanley
09-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Say hey Scotty..........Thanks for the interest. I will certainly contact you once I get more details on the field implementation.

Howdy Darian........I'll know more in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure Dr. Morgan and Dr. Nielsen are aware of a special use permit for conducting the field work inside the MPA. They couldn't do the study through their respective Universities without the appropriate legal paperwork.

I'm just a potential volunteer with a curious mind. I'm in no way involved in the design or data mechanics of the project. I was honored to be contacted as part of the field experience.

Stay tuned.................
Cheers, K

Bob Laskodi
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Hook and line angling is an accepted scientific collection method and if you possess the proper SCP from the DFG you are permitted to fish in closed areas.

Lew Riffle
09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Now they do the surveys....

fj40
09-20-2011, 03:27 PM
They should invite Mark Won, those are his stomping grounds.

k.hanley
09-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Lew...........I don't have any answers to your question. Perhaps it really was just a statement instead???

fj40...........I have indeed invited Mark to be part of the field team. Yes he does know those waters v-e-r-y well. I'm proud of his progression in the surf game. We go waaaay back as a team.
Cheers, Ken

Lew Riffle
09-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Sure Kenny and nothing against you for sure. Doing the survey is a good effort.
Just a lot of frustration on my part since the guys who pushed this MLPA are now the ones working study grants to monitor them. They twist the nobs and cook the books and say something is happening so neurotic people donate money for further study.
Hey if you get to fish in the MPA then it has to be fun at least...you deserve that. LEW

k.hanley
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Lew you and politics are a crazy combo! Buddy I admire your fire. Personally politics is something I'm very uncomfortable with. For me, I simply try to find ways to contribute to the knowledge base (my own and the public's). Stay tuned.................
Cheers, K