PDA

View Full Version : Dorado

Jay Murakoshi
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Just got an email letting me know yesterday the dorado were 50 yds off the lighthouse. I know Bulla has a group there right now but haven't seen any reports from him. Looks like this could be a banner year for dorado, tuna and hopefully dorado. A few marlin still around the island.
Damn, now I'm getting excited... got 6 dozen sea habits sitting here on my desk I gotta finish up along with 5 dozen wig hair bait fish patterns. Hey people tie up some B&W tux patterns.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2011, 10:26 PM
When do you leave for Baja?

Jay Murakoshi
09-17-2011, 11:12 PM
October 1st. I have 14 people in the group. I'm thinking next year I might schedule the last week in September and the first two weeks in October. Plus May, June and July.
We should try to put together another group from the shop for next year

I'll be fishing with Jim Broadbent for the week. I hope to get a lot of photo's and video. I'm taking my GoPro for some underwater video and will have one chest mounted for the hook set. I have ordered some more camera's and they should be here this coming week
Anyone interested in a GoPro with a LCD back, get in touch with me. I'm also looking for a RC helicopter pilot to do some air video. I've been watching some youtube footage and just saw on the news some teenager here in Fresno is trying to go to some competition back east. He had a gopro mounted on a chopper he made the footage looked pretty good
Can you imaging hovering over a boat while someone is fishing.
Any experience RC pilots out there. Approximately what is the cost to build a fairly decent helicopter and how hard is it to fly. I can fly a real chopper but not an RC

Jay

SHigSpeed
09-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Any experience RC pilots out there. Approximately what is the cost to build a fairly decent helicopter and how hard is it to fly. I can fly a real chopper but not an RC

Jay

I know ScottV flies RC helos. Send him a PM.

_SHig

Darian
09-18-2011, 02:03 PM
The first October that I fished down there, The Dorado weren't staying around the Bouy's. We attracted them in Muertos by drifting with the wind by creating a chum slick and occasionally tossing a few Sardinas. The Dorado would appear out of nowhere and we could sight cast to them. Never more than a few minutes before one or more would come up next to the gunwale. :D Using a Crease fly, all we had to do was keep enough line out to "slap the water". Instant hook-up. That sure was fun. :unibrow:

Last October, they were all over the bouys.... Gotta spend some time lookin' for 'em. 8)

Jay Murakoshi
09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Tied up a dozen B&W tuna tux patterns and now putting the finishing touches on 6 dozen sea habits. Looks like most of them are going to end up with epoxy heads. I have enough CCG to finish off 8 more flies.
Time is drawing nearer, can't wait for that big tug

Jay

mems
09-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Aloha Jay and Darian, if you guys are having trouble finding the mahi and getting them in a feeding mood, you should try a charlie. We catch a small skip jack tuna and put it on a big rod with a hook in the nose. Then we troll the bait around and you just wait for the mahi to attack it. We reel the skipjack closer to the boat and then cast flies to the lit up fish. It works like a charm. I hope you guys have a good time. I would bring some pink poppers for the big ahi. It is a great fly for big tuna. Good luck and have fun, Mems.

Scott V
09-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I know ScottV flies RC helos. Send him a PM.

_SHig

For what Jay wants to be able to fly with a camera you are talking in the thousands easily. And they are very difficult to fly, anyone can hover after a few trips out but to actually move around takes a lot of time and effort. To fly with a camera would be a good year or so flying every other day for someone that has never flown RC.