PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Gravel Placement

gene goss
09-16-2011, 05:54 PM
I was taking a bike ride today and ran across some work being done on the Salmon and Steelhead Habitat Restoration Project on the American River above Sunrise Ave....do you think they are going to change the course of the river?????
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/americanriversalmonspaundinggrounds003.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/americanriversalmonspaundinggrounds002.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/americanriversalmonspaundinggrounds001.jpg

Mark Kranhold
09-16-2011, 09:49 PM
A friend of mine at work helped on that project last year. He said that they are trying to push more water over to the south side, do to the spawning grounds that took place there years ago. So you will see the bankies hammering the steelhead over and over this winter off that bank. To bad they can't close that section right there, alot of fish spawn there and people just hammer them over and over interrupting mother natures role to create.

gonefirefighting
09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I guess I am an optimist, considering the current state of California's fisheries involvement, I think any activity is good activity.

besides, one small section of river compared to the miles and miles of active spawning locations shouldnt make that much of an impact

Mark Kranhold
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
That is true Gonefirefighting and welcome to the board. Thank you for your services to this country as well. Any help is good help, but this section is known to get pounded. When I am out on a bike ride, I always yell some smart#%* comment to the people that fish that bank. Redds should be illegal to fish, just my beliefs.

gene goss
09-17-2011, 07:52 AM
That is true Gonefirefighting and welcome to the board. Thank you for your services to this country as well. Any help is good help, but this section is known to get pounded. When I am out on a bike ride, I always yell some smart#%* comment to the people that fish that bank. Redds should be illegal to fish, just my beliefs.

Your right fyshhead about the Redds....but it would be hard to watch the whole American River. This place on the south side has been a NATURAL spawning gravel area for years and every year it gets pounded by the fisherman. I think the only way to protect these spawning gravel areas is to have a CLOSER to these areas.
I think if they push the river over to the south side we will lose our bike trail.

Mark Kranhold
09-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Gene , I know it would be hard to close little sections of the river here and there, but what about signs posted like the no parking signs. No fishing allowed do to spawning beds. No fishing allowed between signs. Might be a eyesore but there are only a handful of areas (that are the known areas) on the American that could have these posted. Rather than these fish getting pounded and the redds getting raked by heavy foot traffic. Wouldn't that be cool!

gene goss
09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Gene , I know it would be hard to close little sections of the river here and there, but what about signs posted like the no parking signs. No fishing allowed do to spawning beds. No fishing allowed between signs. Might be a eyesore but there are only a handful of areas (that are the known areas) on the American that could have these posted. Rather than these fish getting pounded and the redds getting raked by heavy foot traffic. Wouldn't that be cool!

I'm a member of Granite Bay Flycasters and we have a Conservation program that might be able to communicate with F.G.....and having these spawning gravel areas close to fishing.

Maybe we can do a poll on this board, and see what everyone else thinks about a close area for the spawning gravel areas.

Mark Kranhold
09-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Gene, something needs to be done especially since the American river runs through such a large metropolitan area. There is alot of people fishing the American now days, especially during the salmon and steelhead runs. As for that section of the bike trail it sure does dip down close to the river before that hill climb towards the east. That is one of the first spots to get flooded during high water. Hopefully it will be ok after they push more water to the south side. There is some gradient as it flows towards that bank. Does the GBFC ever have public meetings with DFG? Maybe having a poll on this board would be a good idea. It would be cool to see what other individuals beliefs are on such matters.

Rick J
09-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I just got back from the Floodplain Management Association (FMA) in San Diego where I presented a paper (we got hit by the huge blackout that really was a mess but that is another story).

I attended two presentations put on by CBEC Eco Engineering out of West Sac who were instrumental in the "design" of a couple of gravel operations on the American including the one being discussed - it is great to see work being done to protect and enhance our fish - a "science" near and dear to my heart!!! They are a great group of guys - spent some time with them during the blackout - the hotel was very smart making sure their generators at least ran the bar!!!!!

gene goss
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
The rock piles are 20ft tall now, and some of the stones are the size of bowling ball....it would take a very large salmon to make a red from these stones.

Ralph
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
The mixed-size substrate creates better aeration and stronger anchoring. If the piles were entirely of walnut-sized rock, they would wash away pretty quickly.

Mike O
09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I have a great idea!

Let's close the American to all but single barbless hooks, C&R, year round, to weed out the riffraff (kids, bait fishers, etc),!!

No wait...that was Putah....oops, sorry bout that

Mark Kranhold
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I believe that they are also creating a island that will not be accessible to waders. They are also trying to push the rafters and boats to the south side do to the giant eddy that is on the north shut. In the past there has been some complications with some boats and rafters in that eddy.

Scott V
09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I heard they are closing the up area soon to any and all fishing. So there will be no one fishing above Hazel anymore. There are going to be a lot of commando fishermen upset with that change, but it needs to be done.

Darian
09-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Scott,.... Are you referring to the annual closure above the power lines in Rancho Cordova to the Hazel Avenue Bridge piers :?: :?: I haven't heard anything about a closure above Hazel Avenue.... :confused:

If the latter, this might be a case of "be careful what you wish for" as all of those commandos/snaggers will move down stream to the rest of the river.... :eek:

wineslob
09-22-2011, 07:28 AM
When humans think they know better than Mother Nature.........:rolleyes:

Scott V
09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Darian,
it will be a permanent closure down in what I call the "pit". People will no longer be able to fish or be down right up against the Nimbus dam any more.

Darian
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Saw an article in todays SacBee reporting that the county is locking the gates that allow people to drive their cars down into "the pit" area for parking with no plans to re-open it later. It also reported that to access that area, fisherman must now walk into that area....

Sounds like "the pit" isn't closing to fishing (at least for now). :neutral:

gene goss
09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Im not sure how this is going to work, right now it looks like a boat dock.