PDA

View Full Version : Let's go "Half-pounder" fishing Saturday!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Saturday morning @ 8:00 am we will be at Watt Avenueon the Lower American River just below the bridge on the south side of the river.

Anyone who wants to show up to either learn a little about swinging flies for half-pounders or to help us teach people.

Bring almost any fly rod with a floating line, leader and some #10-14 wet flies or nymphs.

Probably should have waders.

You need a valid fishing license and a steelhead punch card.

I think you also need to fish barbless on the river too.

This is a free event.

**We will show you some very basic techneques that will help you to be sucessful on our local river as well as many other rivers for Steelhead in the fall.

EricO
09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Just wanted to add....fill out your steelhead card (location code and date) BEFORE you get on the river.

My buddy almost got a ticket last year by DFG for not filling it out prior.

Just my .02 cents.

EO

neil
09-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Where does one get a steelhead card?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Emigh Hardware, Big 5, Walmart, Broadway Bait, or Fisherman's Warehouse........

Clayton
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
is the whole stretch of the lower american barbless now?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I think it is to do with rivers that have salmon in them, so yes, I think?

gonefirefighting
09-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I would be there but I have a date with yellowstone

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
We will get out after you get back from your big MT trip Brett.

Anyone who wants to show up tomorrow at the Watt Avenue Bridge at 8:00 am is welcome.

We are having "huevos rancheros" at 7am prepared by head chef Charlie Gonzales.........

.........only kidding.

Jerky and hardtack?

Charlie Gonzales
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I cant be there for breakfast but I am serving my pulled pork as a lunch special at the restaurant tomorrow. It would be great to see you guys!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2011, 06:14 AM
http://onespeedpizza.com/

This is why Charlie is not guidng now.....

bassakwards
09-17-2011, 12:17 PM
That was a great time this morning Bill, thank you for your time.

You are really first class.

ryanv829
09-17-2011, 12:59 PM
really wanted to go to this but wasnt able to make it this morning. Will there be any more sessions like this in September?

neil
09-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Bill, thanks so much for the informative session this morning. Feel like I learned a bunch, and also enjoyed the stories from 'back in the day'.

Looking forward to spending time after work on my local water.

Cheers,

neil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
really wanted to go to this but wasnt able to make it this morning. Will there be any more sessions like this in September?

**The next free Half-pounder class will be October 1, 2001 @ Watt Avenue @ 8am.

rouleur35
09-19-2011, 11:04 PM
planning on going saturday if i don't have to work, how did last saturday go? i may try to get out there tomorrow night, is that the spot for the halfpounders?

tom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
All the water above and below Watt Avenue is good for Half-pounder fishing.

Would love to see the flows come down even more fin October for my old short legs.

Late Saturday was great.....we had 14 people show up and I think we got them inspired some.

After you get going on this type of fishing it is really something special.

What I am hoping is that after some of the new guys get into some Half-pounders here on our river, they will get excited about heading to the Klamath River next fall.

**I just realised I am headed to Dunsmuir to fish with Fred Gordon this coming weekend so we will not have a class this Saturday.

We should have them on going most every Saturday, starting back up Saturday, October 1, 2011.