PDA

View Full Version : Wading / hiking boots

DFrink
09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm looking for an alternative to wearing hiking boots, and switching to wading boots when I get to my destination. Most of my "destinations" are still water (fishing from a float tube). I have some good ideas that I've got from others, including wearing a wading boot / hiking boot to hike and fish in, and then putting on a pair of "seal skinz" socks that are water proof for the hike back to the car. The issue is the sizing since the boot must fit both with and without waders on. I have found 2 options, the first being an Orvis wading shoe that has removable neoprene socks (but I think this shoe is discontinued, and it has a felt sole which I don't want for hiking). The second option is a Cabela's shoe that is made for this very purpose. It has a removable insole so it can be worn with waders, when you’re done just put the insole back in and hike. Has anyone used this shoe? Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm trying not to make this overly complicated, thought I see what others were doing before I made a purchase. Maybe Bill has something at the shop that he could recommend?

Dan

SHigSpeed
09-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm looking for an alternative to wearing hiking boots, and switching to wading boots when I get to my destination. Most of my "destinations" are still water (fishing from a float tube). I have some good ideas that I've got from others, including wearing a wading boot / hiking boot to hike and fish in, and then putting on a pair of "seal skinz" socks that are water proof for the hike back to the car. The issue is the sizing since the boot must fit both with and without waders on. I have found 2 options, the first being an Orvis wading shoe that has removable neoprene socks (but I think this shoe is discontinued, and it has a felt sole which I don't want for hiking). The second option is a Cabela's shoe that is made for this very purpose. It has a removable insole so it can be worn with waders, when you’re done just put the insole back in and hike. Has anyone used this shoe? Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm trying not to make this overly complicated, thought I see what others were doing before I made a purchase. Maybe Bill has something at the shop that he could recommend?

Dan

I usually pack in a pair of cheap Aquasox mesh/neoprene slip on shoes for tubing. They weigh a couple of pounds at most and do the job. For real hardcore hike-in tubing, I may switch to just a pair of neoprene socks over the stockingfeet and call it good for further weight savings.

No real need for actual wading boots for tubing in my opinion.

Now for hike in stream fishing with waders, you may have to get more creative or wet wade using Korkers and swapping out the soles.

_SHig

DFrink
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
That sounds cool. I thought of buying a pair of fins that slip all the way onto your feet, but then you couldn't walk much. Maybe I'll look into the aqua socks. I have cheap caddis fins made for wearing over boots, not sure if they would be comfortable with just aqua socks?

ICE
09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Korkers, are made just for this, removable soles hiker, felt, studded, etc. I do this and wear a pair of neoprene socks over your regular socks to suck up some space. If Ive brought my waders, remove the neoprene socks, change the sole and your ready to go. If I'm wet wading , just remove the regular socks and your done.
My 2 cents.
ICE

SHigSpeed
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM
That sounds cool. I thought of buying a pair of fins that slip all the way onto your feet, but then you couldn't walk much. Maybe I'll look into the aqua socks. I have cheap caddis fins made for wearing over boots, not sure if they would be comfortable with just aqua socks?

Should be fine. Worst case take a couple of small sheets of closed cell foam to put on top of your feet before buckling in.

_SHig

EricO
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Good recommendation Shig. When I used to abalone dive I'd use the aqua socks with hard bottom for the massive fins.

But somehow I forogt about those....the last few years I've been packing in wading boots. That's a lot of weight...so planning on picking up a pair again. That way I won't say, "ouch, oww, ugh, damn!!" when I'm walking around in soft neo socks and feeling every rock I step on.

EO

Ed Wahl
09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Everything's a trade-off in this walking business. Aqua Socks will do the trick but you will have bruised feet when your done wading. They are very light though. For serious distance/multiday pack trips these are the go to's. They also work very well for camp slippers at the end of the day.

For my walk in tubing I've settled on either diving booties or flats booties, they're both lightwieght and can take some pretty good walking on. Aqua socks also work well tubing, just not as good for walking.

For hike in wading I just bite the bullet and carry my wading boots in, change at the stream and stash my pack while I fish. Then carry the now heavier than hell wading boots out strapped to the back of my pack while wearing my still dry and comfortable hiking boots.

Ed

EricO
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey Ed,

The last number of years I've been wearing in my hiking boots AND packing wading boots- I had the fins where you step in and strap. Caddis I think?

But the hard-bottomed booties (that sounds interesting ;) ) will be the ticket.

Side note: The hiking boots I bought a long time (Montrail) ago have ALWAYS given me blisters...tried 2nd skin, tape, tons of band aids and STILL got hot spots and blisters. Well, getting the right boot makes a HUGE difference. I bought some Merrell Mid Outlands. Out of the box I wore them on an 8 mile hike a month ago. Not one hot spot. My feet were quite happy to say the least.

EO

SHigSpeed
09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Ed,

The last number of years I've been wearing in my hiking boots AND packing wading boots- I had the fins where you step in and strap. Caddis I think?

But the hard-bottomed booties (that sounds interesting ;) ) will be the ticket.

Side note: The hiking boots I bought a long time (Montrail) ago have ALWAYS given me blisters...tried 2nd skin, tape, tons of band aids and STILL got hot spots and blisters. Well, getting the right boot makes a HUGE difference. I bought some Merrell Mid Outlands. Out of the box I wore them on an 8 mile hike a month ago. Not one hot spot. My feet were quite happy to say the least.

EO

Don't limit yourself to hard bottomed booties. Even the el-cheapo $9 Big 5 special rubber bottomed "Speedo" brand mesh/neoprene jobbers work fine in both my Force Fins and my Caddis (old skool) strap on fins.

As long as you're not scrambling over sharp talus they'll do ya fine for walking from your boots on shore out to where you plop in and strap up.

_SHig

DFrink
09-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Great info guys, this has me thinking I'll just grab some cheap water socks. I thought the Cabela's boots looked pretty nice, but I really don't need a third pair of wading boots, especially when I'm just sitting in a tube!

Dan

DFrink
09-16-2011, 03:23 PM
By the way anyone looking for a pair of hiking boots, Sierra Trading post has Asolo FSN 95's (Goretex) on sale half price at $100 right now. These were voted best back packing boot by Backpacking magazine a few years back. I bought a pair, they are soooo much nicer than any boots I've ever owned.

Dan