PDA

View Full Version : Morrison Lodge on Rogue River

BobT
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I am going to Morrison Lodge in the middle of October and what types of flies should I bring for the steelhead at this time of year. I will be swinging flies. Are the flies similar to Klamath and Trinity flies?

Thanks for the help

Rockman
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Last time I fished it, we swung brindle bugs, silver hiltons all day, we landed about 25 steelhead, missed many, and topped it off with an awesome Morrison's Lodge dinner. First class lodge and they have some great guides. :DYour in for a treat, wish I was going.

aaron
09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Hopefully Bryce Tedford will see this and chime in as he's one of their guides. I'll be there just after you and he suggested a lot of the same stuff we use on the Trinity/Klamath in sizes 4-6 mostly. Wouldn't hurt to have a few bigger and smaller bugs as well. He's big on the color orange in Oct.

Bryce Tedford
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
I am one of the guides up at Morrisons Rogue River Lodge & thought I would give you a few recommendations on flies I have confidence in on the Rogue River. Alot of flies will work up there & in general for Steelies anywhere but following are some flies I would recommend:

Swinging:
I generally use sizes 4,6,8
-Purpil Perils
-Silver Hiltons
-Tiger Paws
-Molten Metals(Black & Orange)
-Green Butt Skunks
-any variations or flies on Trinity will work

Nymphing:
-Egg Sucking Stones, Sizes 6,8
-Copper Johns(red,copper,green,etc.), sizes 8,10,12(2x strong)
-Other various Steelhead nymphs will work, fun to change it up.

-

Tiger
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
What's the Molten Metal look like. Never seen one.

BobT
09-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Bryce,

Thanks for the fly patterns. I cannot find the molten metal pattern. What does it look like. Hope to see you at Morrisons. I will be there on Oct 23-26

jbird
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Rogue fish are not picky. Not only do they readily take traditional steelhead flies and techniques, they behave a lot like trout and respond well to nymphs.

Bryce Tedford
09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Your welcome on the patterns, sorry about the Molten metal patterns, think it was just a pattern that came out in a magazine in an article for the Trinity.
The pattern is tied on a classic Steelhead hook, has a body of dubbing or other, has a full circle of marabou & then guinea over the marabou. Pretty basic, I know Terry at Kienes has the pattern or at least one of his fishing partners do.
I should definately be up there at Morrisons in the latter part of Oct. & most likely will be one of the guides on your trip!
I look forward to seeing you up there, I am already hearing good reports on the Rogue!!

Terry Thomas
09-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Bruce,
Stop by the shop on Thursday.
T.