PDA

View Full Version : Some more pics from the high country

Jay
09-12-2011, 10:39 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Yedr0gzKnJA/Tm6zJ1PcjyI/AAAAAAAACKI/yBeUkasBpks/s640/SANY3528.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Mb8swW5zbR0/Tm62EntIGKI/AAAAAAAACLY/pfe1MHJ3xPQ/s640/SANY3590.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x35yLYTL8Ak/Tm6ycpHvV2I/AAAAAAAACJ0/9ntujyNneQg/s640/SANY3512.JPG

I just finished writing up the most long winded run down I have ever done on my blog, there are tons and tons of pictures there too. I just dont have the energy to repost them individually here. Its beautiful up there right now guys! Get up there! Eat a few, turn most of them and the big ones back. Fragile lakes!

Troutstalker55B
09-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Awsome report! Your one tough buck...

Jon.

Fly Guy Dave
09-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I tried to post a comment on your blog, but I don't think it took. Quite an epic trip. I was there a few years back myself and the fish you were looking for are indeed there and in large numbers. It seems very odd that they weren't on the bite when you were there. Next time! That hike is one of the toughest I've ever done, but you are right, the stunning beauty of the place more than makes up for it.

Cheers!

--Fly Guy Dave

k.hanley
09-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Well done Jay! I read the blog and you made a great account of the experience. It's truly an amazing place to be. Jaw-dropping beauty for sure.
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Jay,

Great blog and excellent photo's. True vivid colors and scenery. I was sucking air as I was scrolling down the page. I would of been sucking air where you parked the car :-)
Mostly likely if I did a trip like that, I'd make the news as a lost hiking fisherman somewhere in the Sierra's.

Excellent report

Jay M

Scott V
09-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Awesome trip Jay, I have to do that next year. And your write up was great!

DFrink
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Jay,

I really love reading your blog. I was feeling all good about a 7 mile round trip hike into a lake yesterday, only to read about your adventure and long for a few days of backpacking (the kind of trip you get to take before you have kids :)). This line you wrote, "I am not a religious man, but I imagine that what I found out there is what many people struggle to find through faith. I know now, more than ever, just how much the solitude of the outdoors means to me, and I'm greatful for it." really hit home for me. I do love fishing, but foremost is my love for the outdoors. It's the only place I know where you can be lost, yet feel so at peace with life.

Keep the blog going, it's great.

Dan

EricO
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Jay,

As I read your blog the thought kept running through my head, "Do I have the energy
to try this sometime?....the switchbacks, the elevation etc...."...then I looked at those golden pics.

But alas, I think I'd lean towards a less vigorous trip as your elevation gain is just nuts.

I bow to the studliness.

Nice finishing picture with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Best beer in the world. I'm on a Torpedo kick right now.

EO

EricO
09-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Btw, what weight of rod do you typically use up that high....much wind to deal with?

EO

Jay
09-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks all. Glad you guys got something from it. I sure did. The rest of the year will be short easier trips, but i'm already daydreaming about some ambitious ones like this next year. Maybe do the whole John Muir Trail even.

EO, the vast majority of the time i'm just carrying a 9' 5wt Launch. Ive never had the wind be so bad up there that i couldnt chuck and duck a bugger out far enough to be in business. I only take the 8wt when I go to my big brown lake though. They like streamers that the 5wt cant handle. :D

Kneedeep
09-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Great report and pics!
Feel free to pm me the name of your "brownie" lake.:mrgreen:

wineslob
09-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for some great pics! I had always wanted to get into that area (Lake South America in particular) but time and marriage took care of that.

RenoLipRipper
09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
That was a great read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reno Flytyer
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for taking the time to produce such an awesome read! I felt my lungs sucking the sides in & felt my knees crying out for mercy on the hikes in and out. I instinctively tried to set the hook on the big cruisers, and thought about sleeping over the rocky shoreline. Nice job Jay.

RFT

And I have an idea of how good that beer tasted.

EricO
09-14-2011, 06:11 PM
That's cool you slayed 'em at the last lake. I always like, at minimum, a 4wt in the high country...3wts don't push through wind enough.

I showed a buddy your blog ...we cracked up at your "salute" to those three lakes. Lol.

An 8wt?....Dang, must be some lunker browns. I'll have to find a way to put a transmitter in your backpack...find those secret spots. Or just hire a ninja to track you. ;)

EO

stanbery
09-14-2011, 11:41 PM
That is a very nice read and pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

Jon

Jay
09-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I started writing those things for myself so 10 years from now I could look back and remember those trips in detail. But if other people didnt enjoy those posts I probably wouldnt take the time anymore!