PDA

View Full Version : No Felt Boots in Alaska!

Bruce Berman
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I missed the original info, so I'll post this and ask a question. Going to AK later this week and just learned from G&F that as of Jan. 1, 2012, felt souls will not be permitted in AK. I have Korkers boots, but have not found any of their souls to "grip" like studded felt. (I lasted less than 7 seconds in the Trinity with their studded rubber...big splash.) So, is there ANY non-felt soul out there that grips even close to studded felt?

Ted S
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I think it depends on where you are going in Alaska and what the wading conditions are like. I floated the Kanektok River about 10 years ago and the wading on this river was very easy. It was all sand and gravel, so I don't think felt would hold any advantage over rubber soles on this river. You ought to check to see what the expected wading conditions will be where you are going.

Ted

FISHEYE
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I have been using the new Korkers chrome boots. If I am in someones boat or plane that cares about scratches, I use the rubber sole (whatever its called). In my boat I use rubber soles with the little studs. When I am wading rivers with bigger cobbles or lots of algae on the rocks I use the big studs with rubber. So far no problems. As good as felt- NO but if it keeps us from more invasives than we already have I am happy to do it.

huntindog
09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
So, is there ANY non-felt soul out there that grips even close to studded felt?

No, nothing is even close.[-(

shawn kempkes
09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Bruce

I have the new korkers chrome boots also and I bought these inserts http://www.korkers.com/soles-accessories/soles-for-fishing/studded-rubber-outsole.html

I used them on the North Umpqua two weeks ago and the were awesome just like the old korkers you strapped on your wading boots.

FISHEYE
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Shawn, those are the ones I am using with the big studs. They work very well and so I can't see much difference from studded felt.

Mike O
09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Someone please explain to me how the Korkers with the removable sole could transport fewer invasives? Just looking at all the nooks and crannies (under the sole, where the sole toes in under the front, etc) makes me think there are a lot of places to hide... If we are only talking microscopics, how can you clean them better than solid soles? If we are talking NZMS...there are a lot of places to hide.

JD
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Have been using Simms Freestone boots with Vibram soles and the HardBite Star Cleats. Have been pleasantly surprised. Much better than the studded Aquastealth which was much better in my mind than the preceding pair of studded felts. Never quite understood the attraction of felt nor studded felt, especially when there's a long ways to walk on the trail. YMMV.

shawn kempkes
09-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Someone please explain to me how the Korkers with the removable sole could transport fewer invasives? Just looking at all the nooks and crannies (under the sole, where the sole toes in under the front, etc) makes me think there are a lot of places to hide... If we are only talking microscopics, how can you clean them better than solid soles? If we are talking NZMS...there are a lot of places to hide.

you can remove the soles after fishing and soak them in bleach or freeze them.

Mike O
09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
you can remove the soles after fishing and soak them in bleach or freeze them.

Wouldn't this also hold true for their removable felt?

But what about the boot? critturs can still hide in there.

Bruce Berman
09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Looks like I'll have to get the old wallet out again, soon. Damn! Just bought these boots last year.

Terry Imai
09-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I picked up the new Simms guide boots with the their "star" studs and they worked on the local waters down in the Sacramento valley (should have tried it on the American River through town because it's the acid test) and the boots worked fine. I brought them up to fish the Trinity and didn't feel I needed to bring my Danner (with felt studs) and have to the conclusion that those boots are very dangerous when you're fishing on water with algae and larger than bowling ball rocks. There is no "bite" with these "studs" and I'm going to write a nasty note to Simms about the mess up with this product. I hope Simms will make good with this product. I do like the fit and finish of the boot (above the sole).

amoeba
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
What's your size? Maybe you need some brand new ones? yours are obviously defective. Just so happens I have a set of Simms guides with star cleats, never used. Paid $250 for the boots and studs:

More appropriately - read the title of this thread. After Simms re-introduces felt in 2012, expect close-outs on the rubber soles, which no one will buy bcz there is no traction, and shops will not stock them.

For those with even more time to read the truth - see the comments to Chandler and Barton here:

http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/2011/7/19/nevermind.html

As for the new material (Korker's Svelt) if you think felt wears fast - the lifetime of svelte is something like 3 wading days.

Ralph
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Try some of the Simms aluminum cleats instead of the titanium stars. They are very, very sticky and don't skate like the stars. They wear fast, but aren't unreasonably expensive.