PDA

View Full Version : Smokey's Kitchen - Truckee

Tony Buzolich
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
My wife and I had just finished going to my god-daughter's wedding in Squaw Valley. Pretty as the scenery was I couldn't wait to get back to some real world living and Truckee is just such a place.

When you want to know something and get an honest answer there are two places that always fill that need, a barber shop, or a hardware store. Good honest hard working locals fill both. True Value Hardware is always a stopping place for us when we're up that way and seeing's how we hadn't had breakfast yet, "Where a good place to have breakfast?" we ask. And without hesitation the cashier quickly blurts out Smokey's Kitchen. It's the best in Truckee and just across from the factory stores on Donner pass Rd.

My wife and I quickly found our way and entered an old fashioned cabin made into a comfortable dining establishment with no frills but just a lot of wooden rustic charm. Everything smelled great as we ordered at the front counter, got our coffee, and was told they would bring our order out to us shortly. We sat outside and smelled the fresh mountain air, the sweet Jeffrey pines, and the brewing coffee.

Soon enough our order came. My wife had Huevos Ranchero with homemade pico de gayo that was to die for, and I had the more tradional Ham&Eggs with a short stack of pancakes. Let me tell you, this was a REAL slice of ham that still had the bone in and was by far the most tender piece of ham I've ever eaten. Sweet, smokey, yummmmm.

Anybody heading up to Martis or the Little Truckee needs to make a point of stopping here and checking it out. We can't wait to get back and try their lunch or dinner menu as well.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2011, 08:23 PM
http://smokeyskitchen.com/

thanks Tony