PDA

View Full Version : twilight zone on the sfa

JasonB
09-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Headed up the hill to fish a bit on the sfa this afternoon/evening, and what a strange time it was. First of all, this muggy weather has been creating some interesting T-storms. Wasn't sure if that would be a good or a bad thing, but it seemed like it would make for a more interesting fishing trip at least. Indeed it did: driving upriver the first thing I noticed was the river looking slightly more colored than normal, then a LOT more murky, then I noticed that not only was the river quite off color but it was also WAY low. Looked to be about half the flow that it was last week (rough guess= less than 50cfs?). I had heard that there is a diversion of sorts up near Kyburz so I kept going upstream and sure enough the flows picked up and the clarity returned to normal as well. Kinda wierd to say the least.

The fishing was pretty weak at best, just a couple of smaller trout rising to take one of several attractor patterns that I tried (none seemed more consistent than any other). Funny thing was, I kept having trouble landing them!? Wasn't like they were very big or anything, but quite strong and spirited! Two break offs, two ldr's, and one little guy (probably no more than 8") who managed to run my line around a rock and get away leaving me snagged! Kind of funny, and all in all lived up to what I was expecting: a far more interesting afternoon of fishing. When it started raining harder again I decided that I'd had enough and left prior to the magic window of sunset/twilight.
Have to wonder a bit if the sudden water drop will do any harm to the fishes, the big load of sediment probably wasn't all that nice either but at least it seemed to be clearing by the time I was headed home.
JB

Frank Roepke
09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I spoke to a friend of mine who fished before Ice House Rd and he mentioned the water was was down and the fisher were not active at all. He laned 3 right out of the gate then for the next 2.5 hours, nothing. He threw everything at them with no bites.

Frank

JasonB
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I had chocked up some of the lack of bite to the fact that I was fishing a new stretch of river, and not exactly easy water at that. But after a little while I just kept noticing how "different" everything felt, especially the fact that even little guys were a lot more wary and vigorous than normal. It felt like I was fishing for fish that were twice the size; and a lot more spooky than normal. I forgot to mention that I had a LOT of refusals on several patterns, even with a 12' leader culminating in 6x (and eventually I even tried 7x). It was still really fun, and nice to check out some new parts of that river...
JB

TaylerW
09-10-2011, 10:38 PM
went out in the same general area and probably got around 30 to hand . ants are the ticket

JasonB
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
funny, I tried ants but got no more luck than on stimi's, adams, wolfs, and humpies...overall I think I got a tiny bit more luck on orange stimulators sz10 than any others, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference the pattern I fished, just how sneaky and how well I presented it.
I think I was a bit farther upriver than you though... and I left at about 6:15, probably should have stuck it out a bit longer.
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
went out in the same general area and probably got around 30 to hand . ants are the ticket

Talk more about those ants......size and color?

Thanks.....

TaylerW
09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
foam cylinder body, tied into two sections on the hook, and a good stiff hackle in the middle. hook size doesn't matter. i use from 12-16 and it doesn't seem to make a difference

westslope
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I fished a short section below Whitehall on Friday evening. It was great to see yet another Pale Eve Dun session with fish keyed in on emergers. I fished for a bit then sat up on the rocks to observe, looking for bigger fish that I know lurk in this particular section. It was a pretty awesome hatch, atypical of the mish-mash of bugs that I find most evenings.

The October Caddis are just around the corner, they are getting more plump by the day. Some of my favorite outings in the Canyon are spent imitating this beast of a bug. Don't hesitate to drop a line when looking for beta, I'm always glad to share.