PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cooper passed away Sept 5, 2011

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Mark worked with me at the Tower of Sports, a top sporting goods store in the 1970s in Sacramento.

He was going to college at that time and later became a local firefighter working part of his career right down the street from my shop. He became a captain and did retire early.

Mark was a hunter and had a lot of good days with lots of good friends.

He died too young and will be missed by many.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=mark-cooper&pid=153539717

daveiam
12-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Mark retired from Sacramento Metro Fire after 30+ years. He rose to the position of Assistant Chief, and was my immediate boss when I became a Battalion Chief. He was a demanding and supportive boss, with the goal of providing the best possible service to our community.

At the time of his death he was a Deputy Chief for the State of California Office of Emergency Services (CALEMA). He was 59 years old. His Celebration of Life was standing room only!

Mark would occasionally fish, but his passion was shooting sports and hunting pheasants. What was remarkable about Mark was his total commitment to youth who wanted to learn to shoot and/or hunt. He would take a young person to the range, and then later out into the field--paying for almost everything. He was just so low key about the whole thing, but those of us who were close to him knew the story.

After both of our retirements, he became more of a big brother and very close friend.

Again, this year (2011) our group of hunters again traveled to South Dakota for our annual pheasant hunt. This hunt is nothing like you would ever experience in California. Some of Mark's ashes were spread on the ranch that he so loved. The rancher will be erecting a marker at the site, and for the seven of us who were there, it was a tender moment.

I doubt in my life I will ever have such a good and close friend. And I guess that is what it is all about.

Larry S
12-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Sounds like a man's man and one that would have made a great friend.
Best to all,
Larry S

KillBill
12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Mark's passing was a great loss to many. My wife worked with Mark and she just adored him.... just an all around great guy. He was very much into knives and gave my wife a beautiful Case Trapper that was engraved with my birthday to give to me on my birthday, it remains in the box that it came in and there it will stay.

We recently received this card from Mark's widow, I hope that I post it correctly in his honor.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
It would have been great for Mark to live a lot longer but his life was a good one.

Lots of good friends and lots of hunting, lots of fishing and cutting lots of firewood.......

Here is the thread about all us working together 40 years ago. Mark is second from the left.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15429&highlight=reunion