PDA

View Full Version : Truckee this past Monday

CW
09-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Fished the Truckee this past Monday. On the water by 7 am, and left after dark (one hour break for couple of beers and sandwiches at Rowdyville, right off of the Hirschdale exit). Good numbers, but not good as far as size. Average size about 10 inches.

90% of my fish on ultra skinny, size 18 baetis imitation about 24 inches under a smaller grey hopper. Last week, did well with Morrish Super Pupa tan, in size 16 - same method.

Couple of dinks on a monster crawdad pattern - amazing how they could even fit the fly into their mouths. I fished this method hard, and lost a lot of big streamers - at least I was ticking bottom.

Evening caddis was cool, fish were willing, but again, no size. Support local mom and pop shop and stop in and get yourself a sandwich and cold one at Rowdyville and get yourself a streamer or two at the little fly shop. (Posting this part with Bill's permission).

EricO
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Nice Charles. We only got a handful a few weeks ago. Didn't try crawdad patterns but should have. You'd think that a large crawdad would keep the little ones off the hook.

Evening rise had some coming to the top but they were tiny.

Still haven't hooked into anything over 12/14" on the T. Tough river and humbling.
I think the Truckee fish study the same place as lower Yuba fish...smart little sons o' guns.

Eric