PDA

View Full Version : Gunnison fly reel in model G-4

Jim Wright
09-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm looking for a reel made Ross called: The Gunnison in model G-4
Jim Wright

rhilliard
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a new-in-box first generation G-2 and NIB spool if you're interested. I won the reel in a raffle at the NVFF (Napa Valley Fly Fishers) sometime around 1990. I bought the spare spool from The Fly Shop ( sorry Bill, it was before I knew better) about the same time. Can email pics if interested. Asking 125.00 for all. (will ship for actual ship charge). email... rthilliard@sbcglobal.net

TaylerW
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
if jim isnt interested i am!!!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
In it's day, the Gunnison fly reel was extremely popular.

They were simple and pretty bullet proof.

Now there are lots of new reels that are mid-arbor that have taken it's place.

Rockman
09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey Jim,
I have a Gunnison G-4 that has hardly been used, I also have 1, maybe 2 ex. spools. I will try and find them tonight. I would consider selling them. I have a G-1 on my 4 wt. and will never give it up. Love the Gunnisons, just don't use the the big one much.
P.M. me if you are still looking for one, or I'll give you a call once I find the spool/s.
Will ( Rockman )

Jim Wright
09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes I'm interested
Home 707 446-6733

Rockman
09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi Jim,
I am still trying to find the 2nd ex. spool. Please be patient, once I find it I will give you my phone number and a price. I have another home in Dunsmuir and it may be up there. I'm going up this weekend and I will look for it.
Thanks
Will

Rockman
10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Jim,
I finally found the 2nd ex. spool for my Ross G-4. I found it when I was not looking for it.:rolleyes:
I will be traveling out of town on business the next 2 days. If you are still in need of it, I will give you a call when I get back late Monday or sometime on Tuesday.
Rockman

JAWallace
10-08-2011, 10:18 PM
A pre 98 G-4 just sold on eBay a couple of days ago for $71. It was a Leland Upgrade deal, and the problems were no outbound click and a "slight wobble" in the spool that "shouldn't be a problem." Well, OK :rolleyes: I stopped bidding at $35.

i have a pre 98 G4 with probably four spools and I've used it for everything other than a floater rig since I bought it from Bill in about 1996. It's never failed me and has a dependable, smooth drag. I think I'll start working out of it to another large arbor, or maybe add some spools to the Galvan T5 and keep this for the floater and sell the spools.

Great reel, and there are enough of them around you should be able to find spools.

Just be sure your spools match the reel. There were two models: Pre 98 and Post 98 and the spools are not interchangable. To see the difference, go to this page from Ross (http://www.rossreels.com/product-help), then look on the right for Gunnison (discontinued) and there's a pdf on how to tell the difference.